HELP! Onkyo 777 5.1 Sound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Onkyo 777 5.1 Sound

K Chug
04-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I purchased an Onkyo 777 new in November of 1999 and have had no problems with it until recently. About 3 months ago I noticed that when I watched movies in Dolby Dig 5.1 surround sound the voice that came out of the center channel sounds muffled and weak. I could not find any problems with the speakers, cables, or settings of the receiver. When starting a movie the Dolby and DTS openings sound great as always, but once the movie starts the voice sounds muffled. This is driving me crazy as I have tried everything I can think of. I have unplugged everything and reconnected it, but no change. Anyone had this happen to them or have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks for any help.

N. Abstentia
04-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Try a new center channel speaker? Nice the DTS and Dolby logos don't have dialoge you probably don't notice it sounds different. That's the first thing I'd check.

superpanavision70mm
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I suppose it is possible that your receiver is not decoding the center channel correctly and/or adding muffling or distortion to it. It is about 8 years old...which electronics are known to start acting funny sometimes with age. I agree...try testing with another speaker in that spot to eliminate factors involved.

K Chug
04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot