H/K AVR320 receiver issues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : H/K AVR320 receiver issues

AbNoRMaL66
01-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Hello,

I have a H/K AVR 320 receiver and I have some questions regarding some strange issues I've had with it.

#1 - Sometimes it turns itself off in the middle of watching TV or a movie. Not at high volume levels either. I'm not sure if maybe one of my other remotes sends a signal to it that is the same as the sleep signal from the H/K remote and that is what is causing it to turn itself off or not but it's the only explanation I've come up with so far.

#2 - Listening to the Essential Johnny Cash this weekend the Logic 7 decoder freaked out while playing track 13. One Piece At A Time at 18db. The left surround channel crackled and popped a bit toward the end of the song. I thought I had blown a speaker but I listened to some other albums and they sounded fine. I listened to the Cash song again in 5-channel stereo mode and it sounded fine. It only seems to happen with the logic-7 decoding on.

Has anyone else seen these issues with your H/K receivers? Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

poneal
01-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi, I too have the HK320. I too had the same problem with the receiver turning off automatically at low levels. Guess what it was? I accidently, or my wife is really bad about this, is pressing the sleep button on the remote. You can do it and not even notice you done it. The only indication is that the sleep and sleep minutes show up on the front of the receiver. It took this happening to me 3 times before I figured it out and I like you thought something was wrong with the receiver. I bet this is your problem too. As far as the Logic 7 goes, many people have complained about problems with Logic 7. I have used it a couple of times and have not been satisified with its processing. Just doesn't seem to mix well, at least not as good as prologic II. I have tried all the processing modes and always end up returning to ProLogic II as the analog decoder. Hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions please feel free to post me. Thanks, Paul.

AbNoRMaL66
01-27-2004, 06:51 AM
So I'm not crazy! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen this happen. Thanks for the reply, now I don't have to take it to an authorized repair place to have it looked at. I don't think that I could live without it for that long. Also, let me tell you how much an H/K receiver paired with a nice 5.1 setup of JBL speakers rocks the house. HOLY CRAP! Every time there is a movie my friends want to watch, my house is nominated as the place to watch it. Isn't that a great feeling? Now I just need that 47"+ HDTV projection screen or 32"+ flat-screen direct view. It all depends on how I decide to set up the room in the basement that my equipment is going to move to when we decide to finish it.

Thanks,
Mike

Tarheel_
01-28-2004, 07:47 AM
I have the HK AVR 525...I too have noticed the Logic7 doesn't match the quality of sound from PLII or DTS neo6. I assumed my lack of a center channel was to blame. But from reading these comments I'm beginning to wonder if there is a problem? I did read the 525's Logic7 can now process 96k audio. Maybe the techs screwed up the processing to accomplish this?

CaymanCroc
01-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Hey Mike,

I was using the AVR5000 and i too had a problem with the unit shutting itself at any volume.

In my case it was due to interference in the power line... ie when i turn on or off the AirCon or turn on a particular light in my room the unit would go off... this was due to the over sensitive circuitry of the HK... I tried changing the power outlet and adding a stabilizer and spike guard etc... but nothing would help...

Ive changed the HK for a Marantz and ive never had the problem again. I guess the HKs overprotective circuitry would put it into standby to protect the unit from any power surge etc.

Cheers,
CaymanCroc

poneal
01-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey Mike,

I was using the AVR5000 and i too had a problem with the unit shutting itself at any volume.

In my case it was due to interference in the power line... ie when i turn on or off the AirCon or turn on a particular light in my room the unit would go off... this was due to the over sensitive circuitry of the HK... I tried changing the power outlet and adding a stabilizer and spike guard etc... but nothing would help...

Ive changed the HK for a Marantz and ive never had the problem again. I guess the HKs overprotective circuitry would put it into standby to protect the unit from any power surge etc.

Cheers,
CaymanCroc

I'm not an electrician but this sounds like a wiring problems to me. I would have an electrician come out and check all wiring/grounding/etc.

CaymanCroc
01-28-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm not an electrician but this sounds like a wiring problems to me. I would have an electrician come out and check all wiring/grounding/etc.

Yep youre right about that, i did have the wiring checked out and there is a slight surge (bcoz the power for the amp etc is shared by the same line which delivers power to the aircon) everytime the aircon was switched on.... but to have it fixed i would have had to have major repairs done (ie switch the phase on the power outlet for the amp etc etc) which would entail toooo much work and $$$ !

Infact a friend of mine (also in Mumbai), had an HK receiver as well which gave him the same problem!

But hey dont get me wrong, i dont think its something wrong with the HK, just that its overly sensitive for our region (Mumbai) where most people live in older buildings where the main wiring has been done over 30 - 40 years ago and these power surges are more common :-)