Marantz receiver-how to change plates [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz receiver-how to change plates

natlus
04-16-2006, 06:17 AM
A problem in scavenging parts with my Marantz 4230 quad receiver:

Here I was, one fine weekend night, ready to transfer the face plate of one, non-working 4230 receiver to my one, working, 4230 receiver, when after I took the faceplate off the latter I realized that it has different plate screws, complete with different female threads, than the former!

Aside from waiting another 20 years to find the right plate screws, it seems my only option is to undo the plate UNDER the face plate, I don't know its proper name, and transfer those from receiver to receiver. It is screwed down in several places, has official blue dobs of something on most of the pots. I am worried that if I try to take it off I will break/need to resolder some connections I am not aware of. I haven't gone for a used manual, but that may have to be in the picture.

Has anyone tried this or no of any such operations? Part of my problem is that I figured out in hindsight that the non-working receiver is a 4230(e), not a 4230.

Thanks in advance.

trollgirl
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
...so I thought I'd kickstart yours. Your situation reminds me of the time I went to U-Wrench It to find a better bucket seat for my car. I found the right model, but two years older. Pulled the seat, paid, took it home. No fit. I spent a total of SIX hours adapting the seat to me car. Not even the seat belts were compatable. Arrrrrgh!

BTW: does the Marantz bridge back to stereo, like my Pioneer does??

BTW II: I have a funny feeling that the sheet metal behind the faceplates does not match either...but good luck with it.

Laz

natlus
04-20-2006, 04:32 PM
...so I thought I'd kickstart yours.

BTW: does the Marantz bridge back to stereo, like my Pioneer does??

BTW II: I have a funny feeling that the sheet metal behind the faceplates does not match either...but good luck with it.

Laz

Yes, I noticed that this may not just be the place to post threads for vintage...BUT--

My marantz does have a "two channel" selector. More importantly, after I posted my initial thread, I thought I'd tinker with the power cord on the non-working marantz since it was a replacement, and, lo and behold, power! sound! I'm not much of an electrician so you can imagine my joy. Furthermore, the female threaded posts behind the faceplate can be removed, though it seems they have rear mounted screws which are kind of like a shallow Phillips head-nothing I've seen before, and to have access to all these screws I would still need to remove the "behind the faceplate plate".

So the yearning question still stands, there must be someone out there who has done this operation. Thanks for the assist....

Natlus