Hd-dts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hd-dts

superpanavision70mm
04-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the release of new receivers with the HD-DTS capabilities?

musicman1999
04-15-2006, 05:38 AM
none that i know of will decode either of the new hd audio formats.

bill

Geoffcin
04-16-2006, 03:50 AM
none that i know of will decode either of the new hd audio formats.

bill

Not only are the new HD audio formats for recorded disks not supported by receiver manufacturers, there's only one receiver that's available, the Yamaha RX-V4600, that can decode the new HD-Radio format.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-16-2006, 05:00 PM
I do not think you will find receivers with the decoding option built in until early next year. For now all decoding will be done from the player level to your six channel analog inputs. I heard this from a Toshiba rep during a demo of HD-DVD at the D-cinema testing facility in Los Angeles a month of so ago.

superpanavision70mm
04-17-2006, 01:33 AM
It's a crying shame that everyone is not on board together with this shift. It's unbelievable to me that all the components are not working in conjunction together. HD capabilities should be supported from the player to the receiver to the TV and have the ability to service muliple HD signals. Arggg.

Woochifer
04-20-2006, 03:36 PM
It's a crying shame that everyone is not on board together with this shift. It's unbelievable to me that all the components are not working in conjunction together. HD capabilities should be supported from the player to the receiver to the TV and have the ability to service muliple HD signals. Arggg.

Need to be more patient. For one thing, the specs on the HDMI 1.3 connection that will carry the new audio formats have not even been finalized yet. Can't make a receiver that supports the new audio formats until they know how the signal will be delivered.

The only beneficiaries from the inclusion of Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD would be early adopters who already own HD-DVD or Blu-ray players. Considering that the first players only hit store shelves last Friday, that hardly constitutes a large enough market for receiver and chip manufacturers to accelerate their normal upgrade cycles. Keep in mind that these new audio formats were announced less than a year ago, and the first prototype demos did not occur until really recently.

As Terrence mentioned, the first HD-DVD players have the audio format decoders built in, so as long as you have an analog multichannel audio input on your receiver, you'll be able to hear the new audio formats. This is no different than how SACD and DVD-A players operate, and no different than the early DVD players that came with built in Dolby Digital decoders and multichannel outputs, because at that time most receivers had not yet included built in DD decoders. Manufacturers will typically add new audio format support as part of their normal annual (or biannual) upgrade cycles, and at this point, receivers have barely begun adding HDMI switching to their regular feature set.

Why the big rush? HD-DVD and Blu-ray's chances for success are hardly a sure thing. And IMO it's waste of money to invest in either format right now while universal players are still in development, HDMI 1.3 is still a moving target, the title selection remains minimal, the format war's still on (i.e. whatever player you buy right now could be obsolete within a couple of years), 1080p has not yet been implemented, and the ancillary supporting equipment is still ramping up.