How NOT to store records. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to store records.

jrhymeammo
04-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Wow, this guy knows how to abuse records. :incazzato: He claims that all records are in mint to very good condition, and writes "this is a perfect investment for record stores or music producers." I may not know much about records, but I think I have more knowledge than this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-8-000-9-000-VINYL-RECORDS_W0QQitemZ4862663940QQcategoryZ46503QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Florian
04-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Holy crap thats a lot of records!
My friend Klaus has aprox. 7000 and Rolf has about 5000, and i am at about 60 LOL

dean_martin
04-14-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm trying to set up a time to go through a collection of about 5,000. Our small town radio station has a program called "Swap Shop" where people call in with stuff they want to buy or sell. My brother-in-law called my wife and told her about an older guy who has a collection of about 5,000 records he's built over a lifetime. My best guess is that it will include lots of country, bluegrass and gospel, but you never know. Could be some great big band, jazz, vocalists like Sinatra, maybe some Elvis. I'm probably the only person in the county who has any interest. Can't wait to check it out.

superpanavision70mm
04-14-2006, 09:10 PM
It's fairly silly to gloat about a record collection. The reason is that just because you own a huge number does not mean you have great taste or own anything of value. I could own thousands as well just by going to garage sales and picking up dozens at a time for pennies. Now, if this person has a great collection with some great recordings...that's impressive.

jrhymeammo
04-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah, i think it would be silly to own records that I would absolutely despise. But I do own a small batch that I bought just for interest in album covers. Like Road Island by Ambrosia. The design was done by Ralph Steadman and it brings me joy w/ a hint of madness everytime I look at it. I dont like the music but I dont hate, nah mean? Also, I have this LP of Urban Chipmunk feat. Alvin, Simon, Theodore. This is the sweetest mid range a dollar can buy, forget about upgrading your speakers just go buy this gem.

trollgirl
04-15-2006, 10:05 PM
...[inserts tongue firmly into cheek] that the best way to store vinyl is on a CD-R. No, seriously, my best friend did just that with his entire LP collection, and never looked back. Guess who has the LP's?

Laz

jrhymeammo
04-21-2006, 05:43 PM
...[inserts tongue firmly into cheek] that the best way to store vinyl is on a CD-R. No, seriously, my best friend did just that with his entire LP collection, and never looked back. Guess who has the LP's?

Laz

Nice, anything good? I think records are for old people, so everybody should do the same and contact me. :ciappa: I tried the same for some of my precious records w/ numerous prgrams. Well I hated the sound quality and has no interest in upgrading my computer just for that. Also, stopped buying rare and expensive records that are in NM conditions. It just made me too nervous when handling them, and dont play them much. But I still want Amused to Death on LP.................. classic album!!!!!!!!!

GTF
04-22-2006, 05:56 AM
And the bass on the lp is even better then the cd.

It's going to be tough finding a copy of Amused to Death on lp.

GTF

jrhymeammo
04-22-2006, 11:58 AM
And the bass on the lp is even better then the cd.

It's going to be tough finding a copy of Amused to Death on lp.

GTF

Man!!!!!! I bet sounds tooooooo good. I got about 4 copies of this album. Collector's Gold CD, regualr Gold and blah blah blah. I would love to hear Genie on Three wishes. How is it? Please, you must tell me. I CAN live vicariously. a bit late but Happy B-day GTF!!

GTF
04-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the birthday notice.
I can't play it for you.
My records and TT are in box's waiting for me to move again.
It's been almost a year from the last time I had my TT setup.
Hopefully in the next few months.
Until then ceee deee's

GTF

musicoverall
05-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Laz

I also put my entire collection on CD-R but I didn't give away the vinyl.

The main thing this process taught me is that CDR's from vinyl sound as good as the vinyl and certainly better than commercial CD's most of the time. I think the CD is a great storage medium but LP's tend to sound better.

trollgirl
05-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Nice, anything good?

Well, a fair number of blues and jazz, Coltrane and...oh, who's that other guy? Not my kind of music - I gave all the b&j to my daughter's boyfriend. He was thrilled. Oh, he made off with all the Firesign Theater too...

Laz