Any Hales speaker owners here? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Hales speaker owners here?

DPM
04-14-2006, 03:33 PM
The reason I ask is because yesterday I picked up a used pair of Hales Transcendence 8's to go with my Revelation 3's. And I must say, the sound I heard during my audition of the 8's left me in awe. As good as the Rev. 3's are--and they ARE good--the 8's took me to a whole new level.

Their dynamics were almost monumental, and that was with an amp of moderate power. The bass was fast, clean and tight. The mids were matter-of-fact without being analytical or harsh, and the highs just plain shimmered. Throw all of these strengths in with a gorgeous looking piece of audio finery and you are left with the steal of all steals--especially at the kind of prices you see on the used market these days.

I've heard Wilson Sophias, B&W Nautilus 802's, various Thiels, and, most recently, a nice set of Martin Logans (I forget the model). All sounded good to excellent. None matched the Hales Transcendence 8's.

SOLD! Kaa...ching.

Anyway, the question I have regarding the 8's is this: how much do these monsters weigh? I've heard all kinds of numbers--from 125 lbs. to 200 lbs. After having helped carry these beasts up a flight of (17) stairs, I'd have to guess around 150 lbs. a piece.

I'd also be interested in knowing their rated sensitivity. (There are no specs in the manual.)

Florian
04-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Load up a picture, if these are the ones i heard then welcome to true high fidelity!

Worf101
04-17-2006, 04:52 AM
First Kam and now you!!!! Everybodies gettin' goodies but me. Wow, those Hales look like massive brutes. You using a sub with them? Your neighbors nice folks? I hope so cause they're gonna be pissed after a while with all that muscle over head or down below... Schweet score!!! "Audiogon?

Da Worfster

Florian
04-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Well these arent the ones i meant, but still a lucky hand! Hales are one of the very few boxes a like, and thats a big compliment from me!

Enjoy :)

DPM
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM
You using a sub with them? Your neighbors nice folks? I hope so cause they're gonna be pissed after a while with all that muscle over head or down below... Schweet score!!! "Audiogon?

Da Worfster[/QUOTE]

No. The Velodyne (DD 12) is boxed up for now. Eventually, once I get moved into a house, I'll use the sub for movies. Those magnesium bass drivers in the Hales are irreplaceable, so I've got to be careful with the explosions, runaway T. Rex's and other movie effects. I will run the Hales full range for music.

The nice thing about these speakers is that they sound excellent even at VERY low volume. So, my neighbors shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as I chose my listening time at the right moments.

Oh, and yes, I did get these via Audiogon. Since I drove 250 miles to pick them up, the seller actually knocked a few hundred off the price. The grilles need new cloth too. Considering what these went for new, I think I got an excellent deal. Paul Hales was an excellent speaker designer.

mikeslc
04-20-2006, 10:11 AM
The speakers look great. As a former Concept 3 owner, I'm sure the T8s are awesome. Used Hales seem to represent great values.