DIY Cables - info needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Cables - info needed

kexodusc
01-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Since I'm too lazy to do a web search myself, just wondering if anybody knows of any good sources for someone with free time on his hands that wants to try making his own RCA cables...cable selection is pretty thin in my area and I know I'm paying way too much. Thanks in advance!!!

stimuli
02-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Since I'm too lazy to do a web search myself, just wondering if anybody knows of any good sources for someone with free time on his hands that wants to try making his own RCA cables...cable selection is pretty thin in my area and I know I'm paying way too much. Thanks in advance!!!

http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

Use 'bullet plugs', NOT any other RCA male adapter. Eichman bullet plugs are remarkable value.

mtrycraft
02-16-2004, 08:04 PM

What do you use now?
How much is way too much? Do you have a Radio Shack nearby?

kexodusc
02-17-2004, 04:43 AM
What do you use now?
How much is way too much? Do you have a Radio Shack nearby?

Yes, we have 2 radio shacks nearby, both don't carry near enough of the "Gold" series (I think that's what the good ones are called). Just the cheap ones.

You've had good experience with the Radio Shack cables? I used them to connect my TV to my receiver and noticed the connections weren't that great. I had originally blamed the cable, but lots of people are telling me it could be my Panasonic TV.

mtrycraft
02-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Yes, we have 2 radio shacks nearby, both don't carry near enough of the "Gold" series (I think that's what the good ones are called). Just the cheap ones.

You've had good experience with the Radio Shack cables? I used them to connect my TV to my receiver and noticed the connections weren't that great. I had originally blamed the cable, but lots of people are telling me it could be my Panasonic TV.

Radio Shack is everywhere, almost :) so it is easy to get cables. I am not partial to them any more than any other equally expensive or even less. I don't play with cables once they are in place. No need to. Besides, I have a few left over so I don't really need more cables :)

What is wrong with the cable or the Panasonic? Is it too loose or too tight? On an interconnect you can move the outer contacts in or out as needed.

Beckman
02-17-2004, 09:09 PM

Could be the TV. Could be the coaxial cable going into the TV. Do you have a VCR. Try connecting the coaxial cable/antenna/satelite dish to your VCR. Then connect the audio outs from the VCR to the reciever. Like Mtry said you can bend the RCA plugs to fit tighter.

When connecting the coaxial cable to my TV, and using the TV's tuner I get a lot of static and the signal gets really bad sometimes. Rather than spend several hundred dollars on a new TV I purchased a $70 VCR and used the VCR's tuner. Then I connected the audio and video using RCA interconnects. It works quite while and saved me a few hundred dollars:)

kexodusc
02-18-2004, 04:18 AM
Radio Shack is everywhere, almost :) so it is easy to get cables. I am not partial to them any more than any other equally expensive or even less. I don't play with cables once they are in place. No need to. Besides, I have a few left over so I don't really need more cables :)

What is wrong with the cable or the Panasonic? Is it too loose or too tight? On an interconnect you can move the outer contacts in or out as needed.
The connection is noticeably looser with the Radio Shack cables. It does make a noticeable difference in sound quality when running the audio outs into my receiver compared to when I use some other rca cables I picked up at musical instrument shop. Not a big deal for me. I've tested it out on my cd player too, and it might be my biased ears, but there does seem to be a bit of a difference in clarity. In particular the bass doesn't seem as loud with the looser fitting cable.

I didn't know I could move the outer contacts, I'll have to play with that when I get back home. That could very well be the problem.

piece-it pete
02-18-2004, 01:43 PM

Stimulis' idea looks fun. All that stuff does need time & patience though!

Pete

mtrycraft
02-18-2004, 10:10 PM
The connection is noticeably looser with the Radio Shack cables. It does make a noticeable difference in sound quality when running the audio outs into my receiver compared to when I use some other rca cables I picked up at musical instrument shop. Not a big deal for me. I've tested it out on my cd player too, and it might be my biased ears, but there does seem to be a bit of a difference in clarity. In particular the bass doesn't seem as loud with the looser fitting cable.

I didn't know I could move the outer contacts, I'll have to play with that when I get back home. That could very well be the problem.

Crimp the outside contacts on the RCA to make them tighter.

audiofan j
05-02-2004, 09:30 PM

hello,

Do yourself a favor and take a look at Signal cables at www.signal cable.com.
I used to pay big bucks for interconnects and speakerwire - but no more! I just purchased a 3 ft pair of interconnect cables with premium Eichmann bullet RCA plugs for $79 and they sound better than my $600 / pair Tara labs Air 2's. Signal cable also makes a killer AC power cord, which I picked up a 4 ft one for $53 and also picked up a double run 10 gauge shotgun biwire pair of speaker cables with premium Analysis Plus spades and bananas for $165. Yes, they are not free - but these three cables are unbelievably cheap considering their sonics, looks and build quality. I would put up these $300 worth of cables in total, up against $2000 of anyone else's cables. Yes, it took me 30 years to discover a truly astronomical value in wire.....it's about time!!

masstar
05-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Try these Canare wires...excellent sound.

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm

masstar
05-07-2004, 07:26 PM
What I should heve said here is excellent "build" - all I can attest to for the sound is that it is absolutely "nutral" - which is what you want right?

Thomas_A
05-08-2004, 03:35 AM
75 ohm RG62 cable is recommended by the Swedish Audio Technical Society. Low capacitance, cheap and works for digital and analogue interconnects.

Looks very similar to Canare, RG6?

T

kovacs
05-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Also check out these great websites:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html
http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/CAT5.html