ByeBye Solid State! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ByeBye Solid State!

Florian
04-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Hello friends,

i am sure you remember my post about the Genesis 350i speaker that i was thinking about. Well i drove to Holland (18hrs back and forth) and heard the Genesis and was not really that impressed the second time i heard it. Can play extremely loud and has huge dynamics but was just boring after a while. The integrations was not nearly as good as on the DIVA and the bass was too slow for the ribbons (even with 8 drivers, 1.6KW and Servo controll). The detail, resolution and harmonic and tonal correctness was just not there. A very good speaker, as it should be for 40K, but just not as good as the DIVA.

So my problem was still there, how to drive the DIVA right and with enough controll. i had big Krells, Sphinxs etc.. on here and none could do it right. So i took home a Tube Hybrid preamp, a Tube poweramp and a 40kg power filter.

As i set up everything in the morning at 5AM i put on "The Mass" and took a seat. Out of nowhere, at least 4m back a drum was hit and a earthquake shook the floor, my chest and i sprung into action to turn down the volume. What the heck happend? I am not talking about little subwoofer bass, i am talking about 2x Velodyne 18's preasurerizing the room with no coloration and no movement. Freaking incredible!

Could it be that this 60wpc UltraLinear Class A tube amp could outcontroll the Krell, Sphinx, Ampzilla 2000? Yes, it seems so. Apogees love voltage and current and this baby delivers. It uses 12x EL84's tubes and is strictly dual mono. Can handle between 3 and 16 ohms. Just like i said many times before, Apogees are easy you just need a stable amp.

I also picked up a 40kg powerfilter from Audioplan which did an amazing job of creating dead spots in the music and stableises the power lines.

I am very happy! Go tubes, and go tubes on big ribbons!

JohnMichael
04-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Hello friends,

i am sure you remember my post about the Genesis 350i speaker that i was thinking about. Well i drove to Holland (18hrs back and forth) and heard the Genesis and was not really that impressed the second time i heard it. Can play extremely loud and has huge dynamics but was just boring after a while. The integrations was not nearly as good as on the DIVA and the bass was too slow for the ribbons (even with 8 drivers, 1.6KW and Servo controll). The detail, resolution and harmonic and tonal correctness was just not there. A very good speaker, as it should be for 40K, but just not as good as the DIVA.

So my problem was still there, how to drive the DIVA right and with enough controll. i had big Krells, Sphinxs etc.. on here and none could do it right. So i took home a Tube Hybrid preamp, a Tube poweramp and a 40kg power filter.

As i set up everything in the morning at 5AM i put on "The Mass" and took a seat. Out of nowhere, at least 4m back a drum was hit and a earthquake shook the floor, my chest and i sprung into action to turn down the volume. What the heck happend? I am not talking about little subwoofer bass, i am talking about 2x Velodyne 18's preasurerizing the room with no coloration and no movement. Freaking incredible!

Could it be that this 60wpc UltraLinear Class A tube amp could outcontroll the Krell, Sphinx, Ampzilla 2000? Yes, it seems so. Apogees love voltage and current and this baby delivers. It uses 12x EL84's tubes and is strictly dual mono. Can handle between 3 and 16 ohms. Just like i said many times before, Apogees are easy you just need a stable amp.

I also picked up a 40kg powerfilter from Audioplan which did an amazing job of creating dead spots in the music and stableises the power lines.

I am very happy! Go tubes, and go tubes on big ribbons!

That is what is so exciting about this hobby. There is always something new to learn and new synergy between components to experience. By the way which Mass were you listening to since I own a Mass by different composers?

SlumpBuster
04-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Flo, your post made me smile. Congrats, sounds like you found a good upgrade. I figured it was only a matter of time before you truly discovered tubes. I should have gone on record saying it because now I could say "I told you so." So rather then let another opportunity slip, here is my prediction: Within a year you will truly discover vinyl. Probably one of those ultra highend tables that floats the platter on a cloud of air driven by an air compressor in another room. :D Have fun.

Florian
04-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Hehe, well it does limit the max SPL to around 100db or so, but untill i buy a second amp this is more then enough :-) I also have a turntable and 60 records so far, so i am going that way :-) The plan is a second tube power amp for the bass and a Bryston 10b crossover. As for Analog i am looking for a used Goldmund T3-F to restore.

:-)

Florian
04-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Well i went one step further.

I use the Pathos Acoustic Classis One for the bass and the Kora Jupiter for the midrange and tweeter! I level matched and EQ the bass with the Behringer :-)

Bernd
04-18-2006, 05:18 AM
What's happening here? Been gone a few days on an Easter trip to Berlin and Flo has gone all Tubey. Congrats my friend. I knew you would get there eventually. Nothing beats natural musical presentation.

For me, you can take your "extended frequency extremes" and shove them up your bassport; where the ear is most sensitive is in the midband, and our brains are kind enough to offer "digital signal processing" the like of which no chip manufacturer has even come close to.:ciappa:

Peace

Bernd

Buzz Roll
04-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Florian, that's a great story! I'm thinking about a new solid state integrated to go with my Ohms, so last week I went down to a local store. I ended up re-thinking the idea of a solid state amp. I grew up listening on my dad's old Fisher tube integrated, but I haven't heard tubes since the late 70s (with the exception of some hi-fi shows - in less than optimal conditions)!

In the showroom I was blown away by the impact of the tube gear. The tube amp was set-up with a tiny pair of DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 3s and the solid state gear was set up with DeVore's top of the line Silverback floorstanders. I found the little monitor/tube set up much more involving than the big top-of-the-line SS setup. The tube rig was right there - I was expecting a lush, overly colored sound. It was great sounding, and not really very expensive. BTW, if anyone is looking for small monitors, the Gibbon 3s are really impresive...

Bernd
04-18-2006, 07:11 AM
The tube rig was right there - I was expecting a lush, overly colored sound. It was great sounding...

Hi Buzz Roll,

That's the perception many missinformed listeners have.Correctly designed modern Valve equipment has lost all that coloured sound, but because we use tubes no solid state hash.
Are you going to buy a tube amp?

Good Luck

Peace

Bernd:16:

Buzz Roll
04-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi Bernd - I really like my speakers, so I'm thinking of a Manley Stingray to match. I think it'll work. Otherwise, I'd opt for some high efficiency speakers and the Fi X/Y combo.

Bernd
04-18-2006, 10:12 AM
The Stingray is a great little amp full of brio and fun. A friend of mine has one and it can boogie.

Peace

Bernd:16:

jocko_nc
04-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Dang, I may have try one now.