Magnepan vs Martin Logan [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan vs Martin Logan

abhijit
04-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Currently I am using ML's SL3. Thinking of upgrading!! I will be eventually shifting to a city where 3 months in a year the weather is very humid about 90%. I have in mind either Maggies 3.6 R or Vantage. Which speakers have more longivity and protected against humidity? Speakers will be placed in a room which is 25' by 13' by 12'. Currecly my SL3s are about 6' from the front wall and 3 feet from the side wall. Listening position is about 12' from the front wall. Very nice imaging. Room is treated with Bass Busters and products from Room Tunes. Appreciate for a valuable advise.

Florian
04-14-2006, 04:11 AM
The new Magnepans have no problem with the humidity. So dont worry :-)

JoeE SP9
04-16-2006, 04:45 PM
High humidity causes a change in the conductivity of air. This effects the ability of ESL's to play at higher volumes. It is not a permanent condition. Simply lower the humidity and "voila" problem solved.:cool:

Geoffcin
04-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Currently I am using ML's SL3. Thinking of upgrading!! I will be eventually shifting to a city where 3 months in a year the weather is very humid about 90%. I have in mind either Maggies 3.6 R or Vantage. Which speakers have more longivity and protected against humidity? Speakers will be placed in a room which is 25' by 13' by 12'. Currecly my SL3s are about 6' from the front wall and 3 feet from the side wall. Listening position is about 12' from the front wall. Very nice imaging. Room is treated with Bass Busters and products from Room Tunes. Appreciate for a valuable advise.

Your sitting 6' from your speakers in a 25' room? At that position the 3.6r speakers would act more like headphones. Also you will start to hear intergration that close. I would recommend 9' as a min distance from the speaker plane.

Florian
04-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Just throwing it out there, if you tell me your area i might get you a chance to hear some Apogees. The drivers overlap quite a bit and nearfield is not a problem with them. I had no integration issue with the 1.6 Maggie but the 3.6 in nearfield takes some time, but it is doable!

PS: Sorry, but i have no friends in your area, but have a look around!

caesar148
05-05-2006, 05:13 PM
I do not know about the reliability of Magnepan speakers in high humidity but Martin Logan speakers are highly sensitive to high humidity. I know someone who lives in a location that is humid 100% of the time and the panels failed him twice within a span of 5 years. The first failure occurred during the warranty period so that shows how rapid the deterioration was. It needs to be kept in an air condition environment in order to maintain panel life.

slbenz
05-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Like Florian said, the Magnepan 3.6 should not present a problem with high humidity climates. I have owned both Magnepans (current) and Martin Logan (past) and the Martin Logans are more sensitive to high humidity climates and tend to need more maintenance than with Magnepans.

Slbenz

JoeE SP9
05-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Like Florian said, the Magnepan 3.6 should not present a problem with high humidity climates. I have owned both Magnepans (current) and Martin Logan (past) and the Martin Logans are more sensitive to high humidity climates and tend to need more maintenance than with Magnepans.

Slbenz
All ESL's are humidity sensitive. The higher the humidity the more conductive air is. When high humidity levels are coupled with high volume you can get panel failure. At high humidity levels the air is much more conductive and the electrostatic field breaks down. Sparking then occurs. Minimal sparking can put pin holes in the diaphragm. It can ruin the diaphragm at high spark levels. Keep them in a low humidity room or don't play them at ear shattering levels when the humidity is high. I have owned ESL's from various manufacturers for more than twenty years. In that time I have never experienced a panel failure.:cool: