Analog Recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Analog Recommendations

EdwardGein
04-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Do analog RCA cables significantly affect audio sound for more high end CD players? If so, what cables by brand & model #, regardless the list price, would you recommend that would make the audio quality sound better then say a pair of generic $50 cables?

N. Abstentia
04-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Okay, let's go through this again man.

You have two hookup options...analog (rca's) and digital (coax, optical).

If you hook up digitally, you are bypassing the DAC's in your player and passing the D/A conversion on to your receiver. The better DAC's the receiver has, the better it will sound.

If you hook up the RCA's, you are using the DAC's in the player. The better the DAC, the better the sound.

Before you go spending hundreds of dollars on cables, why don't you upgrade your speakers first? With your system you won't hear a difference between a $50 cable and a $300 cable. You're putting lipstick on a pig here.

EdwardGein
04-13-2006, 09:44 PM
I asked a question pertaining to cables. If you have nothing to add to the particular subject, don't respond.

N. Abstentia
04-13-2006, 11:01 PM
I responded pertaining to cables. Did you miss it, or do you just not understand?

If you're going to get pissy when you get an answer you didn't want to hear, don't ask the question.

shokhead
04-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Just use a good set of cables and i wouldnt pay 100 bucks for a set. Those Polks R30 are still 40 bucks each at frys. 2 for less then 100 bucks,you can hardly go wrong.

noddin0ff
04-14-2006, 06:38 AM
I'd get these
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-652
or in a 5-pack
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-652B

They have them in other lengths.

musicman1999
04-14-2006, 07:46 AM
ed

the answer to your question is two fold.On much more advanced systems wires certainly make a difference and in some cases a large one.However in a basic system such as yours
any $50.00 cable will do,as long as its well constructed and well terminated will do fine.

thanks
bill

Jim Clark
04-14-2006, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't consider 50.00 for a set of analog cables generic. IMO, you can get some very high quality cables for considerably less than 50. While there are a million sources for cables some of the best pricing I've seen on cables with names/quality build are here:
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category/RcaAudio1

There are many that would consider these overkill, however, and you will appreciate this, I try to remain open to the possibility that they may make a difference. I've never ever been able to tell a difference nor have I ever seen anyone be able to tell a difference in a blind test but I try to err on the positive side, just in case. FWIW, I have borrowed some AQ cables of different price levels and have never found there to be a difference between my very reserved but safe choices in cabling. I would almost expect your findings to be the exact opposite of mine.

jc

recoveryone
04-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Ed my brother, how's it going. I see you are at it again with the puresuit of the perfect sound. I just glance over the responces, but if analog is the the only choice of connection I would just follow a few tips:

gold plated ends
Shielded wrapped wiring inside
and no longer than 10 feet

But my question to you is are you comparing the sound with digital output or are you just trying to find the best cables.

superpanavision70mm
04-14-2006, 04:09 PM
My recommendation is this ...go to cobaltcables.com and they have a write-up that explains cables quite well. In fact, they talk about some of the myths behind cables and cable design. Overall, there are a few points to consider prior to purchasing any cable...they are: what price range are you looking, what effect do you hope to have, and are you concerned abou the aestetic value to the cable. After answering that you can essentially find what you are looking for. AudioQuest make good cables for all tastes and pricerange. Happy hunting...I've spent numerous hours with various cables and to me there is a difference, but whether a small difference that I have to pay close attention to is worth thousands of dollars never seems to make much sense.