Paradox Hotel - New Flower Kings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradox Hotel - New Flower Kings

BarryL
04-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm really liking this new Flower Kings CD.

Yeah, it's easy to be critical of the FKs, but given that you get about 140 minutes of new music for the price of a single album, and that about 80% of it is really good, you can't go wrong. This is very accessible, although a bit tamer than their last few albums.

Like all FK albums, on first listen you'll say that you've heard it all before, but repeated listening is necessary to let the melodies sink in. It's all a bit formula driven with few risks in the song writing, but it's all so well done. Lots of Yes sounding music on this one, especially in many of the guitar passages.

Dave G, you'll like this one. Troy will be disappointed. If you aren't heavily into the Flower Kings, then this is a good one to get on board on.

Dave_G
04-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Yes, I do like it, but have only given it 2 listens.

It is different sounding than the other stuff, but it is still classic TFK sounding.

A much better set than Wallstreet Voodoo, at least to me.

Been spinning the new Tanget too, pretty good, but a little too jazzy sounding.

Dave

BarryL
04-14-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm really liking this new FK. I really don't like Wall Street Voodoo. I'd advise FK fans to avoid it. It's the worst thing that Stolt has done according to my ears.

I find the new Tangent to be overly self-serving and pretentious. Tilson sure has the chops and the ability to compose, but it's just too much. He really needs to find a singer who can help make the material soar. It's really a shame that he's written such an ambitious album to have the enjoyment of the listener shattered by poor singing. Based on his agrandizing liner notes, I'm sure it's all ego. Too bad for me, I say. I find it hard to enjoy the album, although I can admire the great playing. Perhaps it needs more time.

3-LockBox
04-14-2006, 06:55 PM
I find the new Tangent to be overly self-serving and pretentious. Tilson sure has the chops and the ability to compose, but it's just too much. He really needs to find a singer who can help make the material soar. It's really a shame that he's written such an ambitious album to have the enjoyment of the listener shattered by poor singing. Based on his agrandizing liner notes, I'm sure it's all ego. Too bad for me, I say. I find it hard to enjoy the album, although I can admire the great playing. Perhaps it needs more time.

I like it, but don't haven't lived with older Tangent as long as you perhaps. I especially liked the non-proggy lyrics in some of the songs

Self-serving and pretentious?!? in a prog rekkid?

huh?

:crazy: