Ideas for Front speakers for Krell Pre/pro & amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Front speakers for Krell Pre/pro & amp?

Glrisley
04-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I curently have 5 JMLabs/ Focal 707 bookshelf speakers and I'm looking to up grade to a nice pair of full range speakers for mainly stereo listening. I have the Krell Showcase pre/pro and the matching Showcase 5 channel amp. I will likely upgrade to a nice 2 channel amp later and use the 5 channel just for center and surround speakers. I not really looking to match up with Jmlabs. I just would like to get a very dynamic full range pair priced around $3500. I mainly like acoustic folk and blues.

Greg

topspeed
04-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Some suggestions for auditioning:

Von Schweikert VR4jr (the most dynamic of the list)

Gallo Ref3 w/ plate amp

Dali Helicon 400

drseid
04-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I like Topspeed's list (in particular the Helicon 400s)... I'll add the Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System II at $3200/pr. -- http://www.tyleracoustics.com/linbrook.html

---Dave

topspeed
04-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Man, those things sure are purdy!

Glrisley
04-13-2006, 01:40 PM
How about the Martin Logan Aeon i? I have a chance to pick some of these at a nice price. My dedicated room is 17'5" X 12'8" with a 9' ceiling. I only have 2 chairs so placement is wide open. I will check into the Dali's since I have a local dealer. The Tyler's have a nice look to.

Greg

topspeed
04-13-2006, 02:24 PM
How about the Martin Logan Aeon i? Sure, why not? It's entirely up to what you like and your definition of "dynamic." The last ML I heard was the Odyssey which was, coincidentally, driven by a Krell front end. I thought it was a very good speaker, although I felt the dynamic driver had a tough time keeping up with the panel. IOW, driver integration wasn't its forte. If the music isn't cut from the same cloth, for me the experience is ruined because you notice the speaker instead of listening to the music. :nono:

Hope this helps.

superpanavision70mm
04-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, if you can work a deal somewhere you might be able to get the PSB Platinum T6's. They list for $4000+, but you could probably manage to get them cheaper if you search around. They would certainly meet all your expectations and then some!

http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=2&sId=1

musicman1999
04-17-2006, 01:50 PM
if you like the focal sound,try a set of 816s or 826s both in your price range and outstanding with accoustic and blues.I have 806s and 706 with a set of 816s on the way,should be here this week. cant wait.

bill

Mr Peabody
04-18-2006, 02:21 PM
I personally have not heard a better match for Krell than Dynaudio. You can buy the Contour 2.5t for $3.5k or less. These have a front firing port and were designed to sound good with stereo playback as well as being designed as a great HT speaker. I don't know pricing on the regular Contour series.