The Best System For My New Home [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Best System For My New Home

chugger93
04-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I just bought a new house a few months ago, and a new TV (Sony Wega 55' LCD) pretty happy with it too. Im moved over all of my crappy speakers too (RCA shelf speakers) with a 3-5 year old SONY Receiver. (its a good one)

I dont know much about home audio, but I want new speakers because my RCA's just blow. Can anyone recommend a good setup, model, or brand of speakers? I hear polk audio is good and Infinity. Im not gonna do BOSE obviously cuz they bloooow. I really dont wanna spend more than 1,000 and thats pushing it.

Any suggestions for this situation? Do they make wireless rear speakers yet? Or any speaker for that matter. I guess Im looking for a 5 speaker setup.

Kam
04-12-2006, 12:14 PM
welcome to the forums! to start off with some general advice (we generally all tend to agree with on here) is if you are in this for the long haul, rather than spend all 1K on 5 speakers, to take your time and spend it on your mains or a pair of good bookshelves and a subwoofer. You'll be in two channel mode for a while, but can eventually start putting the system together over time. Can move the bookshelves to your rears when you have saved up more and buy your mains, or just another set of the same bookshelves to add on with a center later too. it'll take more time... but the payoff, imo, is worth it to have a quality system.

to help with your reccomendations... what are your room dimensions? any waf going on (wife appreciation factors)?

L.J.
04-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I agree with Kam on building slowly. Since you already have speakers, you can also use those to help you get by or fill in the gaps until your done upgrading. When building my second system, I used some old Yamaha speakers I had laying around until I was ready to upgrade to better surrounds.

chugger93
04-12-2006, 01:42 PM
ok with that said, what seems to be one of the better speakers out there?

GMichael
04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
So many good speakers to choose from. Start by reading this: http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10906&highlight=bang

Then you really need to get out and listen to a few. Everyone seems to hear speakers differently.

L.J.
04-12-2006, 04:37 PM
ok with that said, what seems to be one of the better speakers out there?

As GM suggested, hang around the speakers forum. That mentioned thread is an excellent start. Check for local mid/high end audio shops in your area. If your local BB has a Magnolia ministore inside, that's a great place to look as well. Make sure you bring your favorite CD's with you and get a chance to sit down and really get a good listen to speakers in your price range. Odds are your gonna come across something you just must have.

natronforever
04-12-2006, 09:41 PM
If you build your system piece-by-piece, as I and many others here have done, just be careful to not take too long. Eventually speaker manufacturers replace models with newer ones. While the drivers may not change, the appearances of the cabinets surely do. I enjoy the visual appeal of speakers in addition to the sound they reproduce. While you want to get similar drivers from a single manufacturer for sonic continuity, you also undoubtedly want the speakers to match cosmetically as well. This is less of an issue buying online, because it's easier to find discontinued speaker models.

As for speakers, I own Polk Audio rti, csi, and fxi speakers. They have never left me wanting. I always look forward to listening to them. That said, there is always something better. That's way some people can't stop buying audio equipment. I also own a SVS PB10-isd subwoofer and absolutely love it. It has literally shaken pictures off the walls of the people living in the apartment above me, which embarrassed me a bit. I try to be a good neighbor.

Good luck building your system. Take your time and get what you really want, within some reason. If you buy junk you end up buying something twice.

chugger93
04-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Ok thanks everyone ;)

L.J.
04-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Ok thanks everyone ;)

Let us know what you come up with :cornut: