I finally pulled the trigger!!!!!!!! My lil' (long) audio love story. :) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I finally pulled the trigger!!!!!!!! My lil' (long) audio love story. :)

Kam
04-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Alrighty... (so as a mini follow up with my mini discussion with deano in the amp forum) i'd like to share my lil audio-nirvana story of the last 15 or so years.

As some of you know, I am a big NHT fan. The reason for this is a combination of reasons both 'technical' and 'personal.' When i first got into audio seriously (well, seriously for me at least) i started off listening to M&K, Kef, Klipsch, Def Tech's, Polk, PSB and Infinity. They were all good speakers, and i liked the M&K sound a lot, but they were out of my price range. I was leaning towards klipsch or polks, and the polks were very hot in the treble for me (i cant remember the model names of everything i heard, so making some sweeping generalizations here). Then I found Pete McGrath's store when i was living in miami (go 'canes, not sure if the store is still there, "Sound Components", or if he is still affiliated with them, but they were extremely helpful and cool to a college kid walking in with flipflops and obviously no coin to spend on their equipment. Am not affiliated with them in anyway, but i like to point out and appreciate great customer serivce when its deserved, especially in a hobby that fosters a great deal of snobbery associated with money) and found a WHOLE 'nother level of audio-bliss. The salesguy was totally cool with me and allthough even the def techs and kef's were out of my price range he walked me in to their Wilson room and sat me down to expose me to some seriously incredible equipment. Could i tell the difference between the Watt/Puppy's and the Grand Slamm's? Not really, although they were both ridiculously amazing for my ears, like telling me to pick between Mrs. Kam's...
I didnt end up buying anything from them, but their customer service was phenomenal. After ending up with a pair of klispch and a denon reciever, i ran into NHT and it was love at first sound (and sight). The super-zero's were my first purchase to replace my floor-standing klipsch's (the horns got to be too hard for my tastes) and while the zero's had no bass, their sound was just so damn sweet. Even though i technically "downgraded" to them,I enjoyed them waaay more than the klipsch (i cant remember which ones they were, but had the horns with two woofers floorstanding model). next i switched the denon out to a marantz and was in two channel bliss (for me, relatively speaking with the memory of the watt/puppy's still fresh). Then... then i got to hear the 3.3s... and while there was some serious time delay between my time in mcgrath's store and the 3.3's... i couldnt tell much of a difference between the 3.3's and the watt/puppys (yes i know the watt/puppy's are about 4 times more than the 3.3's and am sure in a side-by-side would be better, but for my ears... [[and eyes, i think the 3.3s are waaaaay better looking than the watt/puppys, with only the Revel Salon's being prolly the hottest "looking" speakers around]] the 3.3's were incredible).
however, with the super-zero's (at $175) nearly breaking my bank, the 3.3's were as far away as the watt/puppy's, or the grand slamm's for that matter.

over the years my system has advanced (the superzero's have gone to the surrounds and 2.5's have become my mains... although, when choosing a center, i picked the AC2, which actually doesnt exactly match with the 2.5's, the AC1, is the perfect match, but i just knew this was an ongoing system and i knew the AC2 was a perfect match for the 3.3... which i am sure didnt make the 2.5's feel like they were really a part of my family, as much as i loved them, i am sure they keep looking between them at their younger brother the AC2, KNOWING... just KNOWING... that the family is not quite complete... i kinda feel sad for them, as much as i really do love my 2.5's and have treated them with some love.... they're just not the 3.3s)

i've thought about switching out of nht and going with an entirely different lineup of sound... the only serious contender was B&W and switching to a whole B&W lineup, although the more i heard them (the 802's and the 805's mainly) there was just somethng not quite right for me in the sound (although a friend of mine owns the 802's and for his listening preferences and what ive heard of them, they are some seriously kickass speakers).
i also thought about switching to mirage (between def tech and mirage, i liked mirage's bipolars far better), but again... just something not quite right about their sound, and to me, the massive soundstage felt a little artificial, a little too 'manufactured' if you will, not sure if that's the right term, but i guess just bipolar speakers arent for me either... and that left me with my original baby... NHT.

flash forward to yesterday when i finished my taxes and found out what my refund would be... flash back to about an hour ago... when, after hearing them for that first time over a decade ago and wondering if i'd ever get them, i finally pulled the trigger on a pair of 3.3s!!!!! albeit used, but finally within my price range... (after FOUR unsuccesful attempts on ebay where some other monster kept us apart at the VERY last second outbididng me)We've both taken a long journey to finally come together.

so, just from my own experience, you never know where the day takes you, and what speaker you think you may never have now, might actually be yours somewhere down the line with enough patience and love for this hobby. can't wait for that bittersweet moment when i take them out and place them next to the 2.5's... i'll post pics of the heartbreak if anyone's interested.

peace and happiness
k2
:)

L.J.
04-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Congrats Kam!!!!!

I'm happy you finally got there! Of course we want pics........I promise I won't cry.

JohnMichael
04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Pictures ya we want pictures. Remove the grills we want topless shots. I love NHT speakers and you made a good choice. I have enjoyed my SuperOnes for a long time. There are speakers I like more but I can not afford them. No other speaker has given me such long term satisfaction.

dean_martin
04-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Congrats, Kam! Yeah I wanna see pics.

Shoot, I was going to get a pair of speakers I've had my eyes on to compliment my tube amp, but the tax refund was passed around among the family. So, I've decided to sell my 1966 Fender Mustang. It needs new frets. I would have to ship it off and pray that the work was done correctly and that it wasn't damaged in transit. The fret wear has gotten to the point where I can't play it. I'm recovering from my anal retentiveness and letting her go for something I'll enjoy on a regular basis.

I'm glad you and the 3.3s finally got together.

topspeed
04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Congrats, Kam!

Pics.

NOW!

Worf101
04-13-2006, 05:08 AM
I wish I'd been able to hang out and learn at an A.V. store when I started getting into this hobby. All my purchases have been used off the bay and I've lucked into some good stuff but as usual, you filmakers are a more studied lot. I'm glad you're getting the speakers you want. My rhythm guitar player is a big NHT fan, he's some floorstanders by them. I'll say one thing, nothing else looks like em. Pics please...

Da Worfster

Worf101
04-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Congrats, Kam! Yeah I wanna see pics.

Shoot, I was going to get a pair of speakers I've had my eyes on to compliment my tube amp, but the tax refund was passed around among the family. So, I've decided to sell my 1966 Fender Mustang. It needs new frets. I would have to ship it off and pray that the work was done correctly and that it wasn't damaged in transit. The fret wear has gotten to the point where I can't play it. I'm recovering from my anal retentiveness and letting her go for something I'll enjoy on a regular basis.

I'm glad you and the 3.3s finally got together.

Didn't know you were a quitar player. Vintage 66 Mustang. I've a '68 Fender Jazz Bass and a '68 Les Paul Recording Bass as well as about 8 other four and five string basses. Pics..

Da Worfster http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/DSC00132.jpg

Kam
04-13-2006, 06:09 AM
thanks all! they are shipping it today... shop is only 3 hours away from me, so i'd like to think i could get them by tomorrow and have the weekend to go nuts, but they are heavy (120+lbs each) so maybe by monday... will defn post pics!

and a sweet lineup there worf!!

dean_martin
04-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Hey Worf, I make a little noise. Nice bass collection ya got there. (I like pictures.) What's the next to last one on the right with the see-through body?

So, we give Kam a chance to set up those 120lb beasts then head over to his place, right?

Worf101
04-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Hey Worf, I make a little noise. Nice bass collection ya got there. (I like pictures.) What's the next to last one on the right with the see-through body?

So, we give Kam a chance to set up those 120lb beasts then head over to his place, right?

I think everyone on the L'east coast oughtta head to Kam's for the breakin/listening party!!! As the Joker said in "Batman".... "Commence au fesival"!!! As for that plexi Bass. It's a short lived brand called "Rennaisance" . They were an American maker that lasted from /76 to '78. It's very rare as most folks only know about the Dan Armstrong Plexi's of the day. I scored only the 2nd one ever sold on the Bay.

Da Worfster .

Kam
04-13-2006, 07:39 AM
head on over!! all are welcome, just bring some tunes and dvds!!

Kam
04-14-2006, 09:02 AM
holy crap that was fast! setting them up now and taking pics! will post soon!!!
:)

Kam
04-14-2006, 10:27 AM
they arrive....

Kam
04-14-2006, 10:28 AM
unpacking begins...

Kam
04-14-2006, 10:29 AM
2.5.... meet 3.3..... (i felt a little bad, i think the 2.5 got really sad, but the 3.3 was just so courteous, there wasnt really any animosity at all between them.)

Kam
04-14-2006, 10:32 AM
standing next to their older brother...

Kam
04-14-2006, 10:33 AM
the mess (havent cleaned yet, still there....)

Kam
04-14-2006, 10:34 AM
nudey pic for you johnmichael!!

Kam
04-14-2006, 10:37 AM
tweaking still... have been moving them around some and checking out the nht site for more setup info. they are all the way up against the back wall and am now tweaking the distance between them, they seem to like being fairly wide apart, not fully set on their swet spot jusssssst yet, but gettin there!

dean_martin
04-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Kam spends all weekend in his apartment playing with his new toys. He's been in the same underwear (which is all he has on) since the speakers arrived on Fri. Now it's Sunday and he was supposed to go to church w/family on Easter and then have dinner. Of course Kam has no idea what day it is, but nevertheless he's having fun as evidenced by the glazed look in his eyes. Hopefully, he'll realize by Sunday night that he hasn't eaten anything since Fri. morning.

Maybe we should stop by and check on him. We'll all pitch in for a bucket o' chicken or pizza or somethin'.

L.J.
04-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Nice Kam!!! And I thought my C-9's were slender. Dean is right, you're gonna have a great weekend.

GMichael
04-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Very Nice Kam!
Congrats.
Will you ever leave home again?

bobsticks
04-15-2006, 05:04 AM
Good stuff, Kam. New toys are always fun. Congrats.

Worf101
04-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Those things are HUGE!!! And they're deep too.... (tip of the hat to Richard Pryor).!!!! Man oh man, I assume you're living in an apartment? When are you gonna be able to crank those suchah's? Nothing looks quite like NHTs. Wow.. talk about having a woody.. I'd love to get some new speaks but I've so many vintage mains lying around now I'd be banished if any else came in the house. Congrats man... Hey Deano, lets say we go visit Kam, bring him a fresh set of undies, throw him in the shower and watch his rig till he's clean enough fer company!!!

Da "I wanna hear that system" Worfster

PS, whatcha gonna do with the smaller ones? They your new rears?

Kam
04-17-2006, 06:14 AM
good googly moogly.. so that's what the outdoors are like...i forgot! finally broke out of my cave...

worfster, grab deano and head over! (and anyone on this side or visiting new york, feel free to drop me a line and you're more than welcome to stop by!)

yeah they are very deep! the idea behind the design is that the woofer "sees" a corner made by the backwall/ floor/ cabinet, and then the "monitor" is high and out in the room. am still tweaking the position around but i do like them as flush against the wall as i can get them, now its just finding the right space inbetween them. the 2.5's i am pretty sure am gonna sell (to add insult to injury, but i havent told them yet, they're still a little sad hearing the 3.3s from the other room now) so i'll keep the superzero's as my surrounds. and if anyone is intersted in buying an incredible pair of 2.5's... lemme know!

now.. my impressions... wow, these are some seriously powerful speakers. my marantz is no where near strong enough to really push them. i had it cranked pretty good to get the 3.3's to just start to engage. and yeah, thankfully had them early in the afternoon friday, so was able to play em loud for a bit, but yeah, wont be able to really get them singing at full power since my neighbors would kill me. the 2.5's had plenty of bass, but no where near the clarity and tightness of the 3.3s! even without being pushed, the bass was really exact and the best part was hearing cd's and finding stuff i hadnt heard before.
(went through:
floyd - momentary lapse of reason, the division bell
sting - ten summoner's tales
police - the singles
nin - closer singles
peter gabriel - passion
enigma - the king is dead, long live the king
enya - forgot the album, the one with book of days
beethovens 9th
aerosmith - big ones
braveheart soundtrack
gladiator soundtrack
true romance soundtrack
movie scenes - atlantis, ep III, and brotherhood of the wolf.)

and the next upgrade will defn be a poweramp, i dont like pushing amps too loud (hate any sort of distortion and also dont like to 'feel' like any piece in the chain is being overworked, and could defn feel the marantz working hard to feed the 3.3s, they are not easy to drive) my watchlist on the 'bay just grew! (bryston, acurus, aragon, classe, proceed, music fidelity, mccormack, anthem, one of them will slip through the cracks and into my price range!) now the waiting game before one of these badboys falls into my lap... patience! (its what got me to the 3.3s!)

Bernd
04-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Congrats Kam on your purchase. How have they settled in?
Boys and new Toys- I know the feeling well.
Enjoy

Peace

Bernd:6:

JohnMichael
04-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Yes congrats on the new speakers. The more I look at my NHT SuperOnes the more I think about your 2.5s.

Kam
04-18-2006, 08:31 AM
thanks bernd! am still doing a lil fine tuning on the positioning (they are beasts to move) but i think i've got them to just about where i like 'em! have been listening to waaay more 2channel lately...

Bernd
04-18-2006, 08:33 AM
thanks bernd! am still doing a lil fine tuning on the positioning (they are beasts to move) but i think i've got them to just about where i like 'em! have been listening to waaay more 2channel lately...

That's were it's at. 2 channel done well.
Wishing you many glorious musical hours.

Peace

Bernd:6:

Kam
04-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Yes congrats on the new speakers. The more I look at my NHT SuperOnes the more I think about your 2.5s.

i'd be more than happy to sell them to you if you knew of a cheap way i could get them to you. they're not that heavy, about 50 pounds each, (but i don't have the spikes for the balance bars anymore) and i dont have the original boxes. i wouldnt want shipping to end up costing more than the speakers!