Prog Radio DJ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Prog Radio DJ

BarryL
04-11-2006, 03:40 PM
I had the chance to play DJ again on CKLN-FM 88.1 in Toronto on this past Sunday morning.

Actually, I could have played anything I wanted, but I've decided to make this my thing, in case anybody is listening. Here's what I played.

SONG - BAND - ALBUM
Magic Pie - The Flower Kings - Flower Power
Sound Chaser - Yes - Relayer
Voices - Druid - Toward The Sun
Can't Think Twice - Starcastle - Citadel
Rome - Blue Shift - Not The Future I Ordered
Inca Roads - Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Free Hand - Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Always The Same/As The World - Echolyn - As The World
I'm Not The Enemy - Michael Stadler - Clear
No Sign - Jim Gilmour - Great Escape

I love my Magic Pie. That's such a great FK song.
I decided to do a Yes sound-alike set, so I featured Druid, Starcastle, and Blue Shift.
Inca Roads by Zappa is killer prog material, with a great guitar solo.
Stadler and Gilmour are both from Saga. The Gilmour album is excellent piano and keyboard-driven prog. This is not a lightweight album. If you like Jordan Rudess then you'l like this album.

I'll be back in about two months, so time to start designing the next playlist.

The DJ before the show I was on playes four hours of death metal and heavy metal. She's about 30 years old. In reviewing the play list, she said she recognized just two of the bands, Yes and Gentle Giant. She couldn't name any song by Yes. It's amazing to me that I take this old prog stuff for granted as being well -known, but I guess if you weren't listening to FM radio between 1972 and 1976, you probably have never heard any of this classical prog stuff. Most kids today who listen to the radio weren't even born yet.

Sounds like I need my own weekly show so that they have a chance of hearing some good music for a change.

Dusty Chalk
04-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Seconded!

PS Nice setlist.

Davey
04-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Still cool. So do you get much feedback on it Barry? Requests? WTF was that? Lonely guys looking for a prog loving companion? Death threats? Anything? ;)

BradH
04-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Requests? WTF was that? Lonely guys looking for a prog loving companion? Death threats? Anything? ;)

Sounds like the old RR board.

audiobill
04-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Way to go, Barry.

I'll have to make a point of tuning in, next time. Although I'm not in to prog (do like the Flower Kings), I always like hearing carefully selected music by someone who knows a genre well;

Next time, give us the heads-up when you're on. I'm sure others would like to hear what you've got to spin.

Cheers,

Bill

BradH
04-11-2006, 05:37 PM
It's amazing to me that I take this old prog stuff for granted as being well -known, but I guess if you weren't listening to FM radio between 1972 and 1976, you probably have never heard any of this classical prog stuff.

My youngest brother, who's 31, came in from L.A. a couple of months ago. He went from R.E.M. in his teens to 311 in his twenties. His musical tastes expanded big time in L.A. hanging with a jam band specializing in the funky side of things. I played him some late 70's Gong from their fusion years. He was utterly blown away, completely knocked out. He couldn't believe it. I told him there was plenty more music like that where that came from and I'd send him some. But I was thinking, wow, to me this music is like old school, it fits like a glove but he's never even heard it!

BarryL
04-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Way to go, Barry.

I'll have to make a point of tuning in, next time.

Next time, give us the heads-up when you're on.

Cheers,

Bill

I was planning to let everyone know, in case those folks on the left coast want to tune in at 4 a.m..

Unfortunately, I have had severe trouble trying to log onto this board from both my work and home Macs. I'm not sure why I'm able to get on this evening, but I'm using an older Mac. Hopefully whatever the problem was has been fixed.

I'll let you know next time, even if I have to get FA to post.

The new FLower Kings came out last week, so I may use some of that next time. On the other hand, I'm thinking about doing an old-school prog thing, which would feature The Nice, ELP, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, and King Crimson. On the other hand, I could do prog bands with orchestras. I'm sure whatever I decide, it will change right up until the night before.

BarryL
04-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Still cool. So do you get much feedback on it Barry? Requests? WTF was that? Lonely guys looking for a prog loving companion? Death threats? Anything? ;)

I had two callers for each show I've done: My wife and my mother.

The DJ encourages people to call, but I don't think there's anybody out there listening.

We'll need prizes or something to encourage people to call.

So, I get no feedback, which is okay. No feedback, no pressure.

ForeverAutumn
04-12-2006, 04:56 AM
I had two callers for each show I've done: My wife and my mother.

I was gonna call but it meant getting out of bed to go get the phone. Next time I'll put the phone in the bedroom the night before so that I don't have to get up. Oh, that and the coffee maker. :yesnod:

When you're making up your set list for the next show. You did promise to play some Mike Keneally. In fact, you could do a whole set on musicians who have played with Frank Zappa.

Does the radio station do any promotions of their shows? Maybe if Jeff was able to somehow promote that you were going to be on as a special guest you would get some curious listeners. But he can't promote it on his show, because if no-one is listening, well then no-one will hear it. Maybe promotion on another popular show, or posters around the Ryerson campus. Something like that.

Troy
04-12-2006, 07:37 AM
Barry you rock. Even if no one but mom was listening, you still rock.

BarryL
04-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Barry you rock. Even if no one but mom was listening, you still rock.

I'm finally able to get onto this board at work. I haven't been able to do so for about two weeks. I don't know what the problem has been, as I'm plugged directly into the net through my ISP.

Now I'll have to see if I can do it again.

Thanks Troy. I had a whole set of prog metal to play (OSI, Gordian Knot, Frameshift, Karmakanic) but shelved it because of the Death Metal lady's four hour show prior to me. Maybe I need to be a guest on her show from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m.

ForeverAutumn
04-13-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm finally able to get onto this board at work. I haven't been able to do so for about two weeks. I don't know what the problem has been, as I'm plugged directly into the net through my ISP.

Now I'll have to see if I can do it again.

Thanks Troy. I had a whole set of prog metal to play (OSI, Gordian Knot, Frameshift, Karmakanic) but shelved it because of the Death Metal lady's four hour show prior to me. Maybe I need to be a guest on her show from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m.

Just so you know...I am NOT getting up at 6:00am. That'll cut your listenership by about 33%. :prrr:

Dusty Chalk
04-13-2006, 01:40 PM
FA -- you're really cracking me up today. Cheers.