Lamp Projector OR Big Screen TV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lamp Projector OR Big Screen TV?

gjpham
04-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Your inputs,
I have a "big" screen 50" TV and planning to go bigger at the end of the year, maybe 62" or 65" TV. Since my Home Theater is completely dark, my brother suggests getting the ProjectorPeople.com.
Q: 1/ With appr. $2K to $3K for the projector, will I be able to get the same picture quality as the same priced TV?
2/ How much diff in pix quality between with and w/o drapper?
3/ What stores can I audition them: Fry's, Bestbuy, Circuicity, HomeTheaterStore, Tweeter?

PS: I watched movie Fifth Element with Projector Sim2 + DVD Arcam 29 and oh boy, it's HD and super clear.

N. Abstentia
04-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Since it's dark, I say go projector. How many movie theaters have you seen with a TV in them? A projector is the way to do it RIGHT :)

I'm not going to compare a 65" plasma or LCD to a projector since I have not personally done that with my own eyes, I just know that a regular TV was simply not big enough and I was blown away by the $1000 Optoma H31 projector so I knew I didn't want a little (well..little compared to my 125" projection screen) TV to watch movies on. And with a $3k budget you can get a nice HD projector and probably a screen, although I prefer paint.

Tweeter should have both projectors and LCD/Plasma setup. Best buy has LCD/Plasma but not sure about projectors. The ones around me do not have them.

If you're comparing a regular old rear projection and not LCD/Plasma then don't even bother. Go projector all the way.

And just a minor correction..if the movie you watched was on DVD, it was NOT in HD. DVD's are not high-def! This is the main reason I went with the OptomaH31 as watching DVD's was my only concern and it excels at 480p. In 3-4 years when (and if) HD-DVD's are ready for the mainstream it will be time for a new projector anyway.

But if you're buying now and with your budget, go HD.

HAVIC
04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Check out www.projectorcentral.com first for what projector to get. It is a great website for front projection.

Keith from Canada
04-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Your inputs,
I have a "big" screen 50" TV and planning to go bigger at the end of the year, maybe 62" or 65" TV. Since my Home Theater is completely dark, my brother suggests getting the ProjectorPeople.com.
Q: 1/ With appr. $2K to $3K for the projector, will I be able to get the same picture quality as the same priced TV?
2/ How much diff in pix quality between with and w/o drapper?
3/ What stores can I audition them: Fry's, Bestbuy, Circuicity, HomeTheaterStore, Tweeter?

PS: I watched movie Fifth Element with Projector Sim2 + DVD Arcam 29 and oh boy, it's HD and super clear.

For $2-3K, you will get jaw dropping performance from a projector on a screen anywhere from 92"-120". Will the quality be the same as a $2-3K 65" LCD? The answer is -- it will be very close. However, while people can come over and pick out small faults with your 120" set-up compared to their 65", you can be enjoying a REAL big screen experience.

You say your brother recommended that you get the "ProjectorPeople.com". I'm assuming you meant that your brother recommended that you shop at ProjectorPeople.com? If that is the case, I would recommend the following projectors in your price range and I would not limit your search to that one on-line retailer:

DLP -- Mitsubishi HC3000 or Optoma H72 (NOTE -- DLP's in this price range DO NOT offer any image offset. This means you will need to use keystone correction if your projector placement is not perfect). There are others coming out (e.g. InFocus) but I haven't yet had a chance to see them in action).

LCD -- Hitachi PJ-TX200 (I REALLY like this unit), Panasonic AE900 or Sanyo Z4. These units have the advantage of having huge zooms and offsets. You place these projectors virtually anywhere in the room without loosing picture quality.

DLP Pros -- better black levels and no screen-door effect
LCD Pros -- better colours (generally), much more placement flexibility and usually a better price.

Not sure I understand your second question...what is a "drapper"?

Your last question is best left to the Americans on this board...I demo in a local hi-end shop...our Best Buys and chain stores don't have much in terms of demos for projectors.

Someone else already pointed this out -- the Fifth Element that you saw was not HD. If DVD blew you away, hold on to your socks because a 92"-120" HD picture should truly drop your jaw.

Last point -- I have NEVER met anyone who owns a projector that wishes they had bought a TV.

orgasmdonor
04-11-2006, 05:40 PM
One thing not mentioned....The run time on the lamp bulbs for ceiling mounted projectors is painfully short because of the much needed light intensity . Anywhere from 500-700 hrs. run time. The bulbs are anywhere from three to five hundred dollars to replace for the high def. and are a pain in the butt to get. Most of the time it can take three to four weeks to get one and your TV is down in the mean time. Make sure you do the research. My best advice is to get the 70
+ inch DLP from either toshiba or mitszi. Then you have no worries about run time.

gjpham
04-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks all, very informative.
Keith, my 2nd Q was about the projection screen ( mistyped with drapper).

Keith from Canada
04-12-2006, 05:28 AM
One thing not mentioned....The run time on the lamp bulbs for ceiling mounted projectors is painfully short because of the much needed light intensity . Anywhere from 500-700 hrs. run time. The bulbs are anywhere from three to five hundred dollars to replace for the high def. and are a pain in the butt to get. Most of the time it can take three to four weeks to get one and your TV is down in the mean time. Make sure you do the research. My best advice is to get the 70
+ inch DLP from either toshiba or mitszi. Then you have no worries about run time.

Actually, most projectors will give you 2,000-3,000 hours on a bulb on low lamp mode (which is prefered in a dark environment) and unless you're running an extremely odd projector, finding a replacement bulb is not a problem. NOTE -- Many projectors come with a 'free replacement bulb' when you first purchase as an incentive to buy. I would also note that a DLP TV requires a bulb change between 5,000-7,000 hours of use.

Let me reiterate that for the price of a 70" DLP set, you could get a projector and a high quality 92"-120" screen from Da-Lite or Carada (both offer higher-end screens than Draper) and still have money left over.

Here is a link that will give you a better idea of whether or not a projector is right for you:

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/big_picture_projectors.htm

N. Abstentia
04-12-2006, 08:40 AM

Where did you get this information? It's totally wrong.

My Optoma is rated for 3000-5000 hours, and like was mentioned it can bring 7000 hours in the real world. Bulbs are a mouse click away. OR you could...keep a spare handy for 0 downtime. Just like regular light bulbs!

To replace it you take of the little panel, unscrew the old bulb, screw in the new bulb. Not sure why you would say they are a pain to change.

I'd much rather replace a $250 bulb than a $3000 TV when it burns out.

orgasmdonor
04-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Hello...I never said the bulb was a pain to change. I received my information from my local high end audio and video dealer who sells the stuff. The DLP's have over 30,000 hrs of run time before you need to "worry". If you own a lamp projection you'll learn over time. Yes they are nice.....but not that nice. One of my buddies has the top of the line Marantz lamp projector ($13,000) and has to replace the bulb roughly twice a year. He doesn't use it for normal TV veiwing. Just movies and weekend sports events. Say what you will, but the bulbs get very hot and have a lot of strain on them to produce the picture size. It's only common sense that they have a short run time. Aiiiiiiiiiiiight !!!!

orgasmdonor
04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
For a DLP projection TV this light from the source travels roughly six inches. For a ceiling mounted projector its anywhere from six to twelve feet. Hummmmmm.

N. Abstentia
04-13-2006, 04:55 PM
30,000 hours.....if you run your projector 12 hours a day that's like 6 years on one bulb. What's the problem? Good luck keeping a plasma that long.

AVMASTER
04-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Let me reiterate that for the price of a 70" DLP set, you could get a projector and a high quality 92"-120" screen from Da-Lite or Carada (both offer higher-end screens than Draper) and still have money left over.

why and/or how is Da-lite better than Draper?
just curious