hd content through std cable? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hd content through std cable?

mrudy
04-10-2006, 04:18 PM
hi all

i just purchased a samsung 46" dlp w/ an intergrated atsc (?) hd tuner. funny thing is when i did my channel scan with just my cable coaxil hooked up i got 454 channels! sadly,most were NOT viewable...but the local hd channels at the end of the list were........so here is my problem....they will stay for awhile (and look fantastic) and then i will lose signal and then check later and they are back on......i tried a signal booster but that didn't work well with my dish network and road runner service......i replaced my splitter with a Monster low Db loss one and that didn't help either....anyone run into this and can help me.. thanx in advanced.

m

Smokey
04-11-2006, 02:33 PM
hi all

so here is my problem....they will stay for awhile (and look fantastic) and then i will lose signal and then check later and they are back on......i tried a signal booster but that didn't work well with my dish network and road runner service....

Seem like you have a weak signal. Have you tried an antenna for your local HD channels?
A simple rabbit ear antenna should be fine if living in the city.

Jim Clark
04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
This isn't my area. I really don't have an area now that I think about it. Not to be tedious but you have Dish. In order to receive the HD channels you have to pay for the HD set top box even though you have an HD tuner on the TV, correct? I doubt that you can pay standard dish prices and get HD programming, at least not the quality feeds that your TV needs. If you just plugged into a coax and hoped the TV's tuner would take care of things and get you a HD picture I would be surprised if it worked.

Then again I could be totally off base since I'm not a Sat. user and really know nothing about it.

Regards,
jc

Slosh
04-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Do you have separate RG6 cables running to your room with the TV?

I'm a (SD) Dish Network customer too and get broadband via cable. I don't subscribe to any cable TV service though but since my TV has a clear QAM tuner I split the cable line coming into the house and run one side into a diplexor and the other directly to the cable modem. The other side of the diplexor carries my Dish feed. From the single RG6 wall outlet in my livingroom there's another diplexor that feeds my 508 Dish receiver and my digital cable TV input. Unfortunately my cable provider doesn't put any HD in the clear so I have to use an indoor antenna for HD but I'm getting ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, and one local indie station. The digital cable stations I am getting are all SD, but hey, they're free :) (and there are a few that I don't get with Dish). I'm also getting analog basic cable for free but what's the point when I already have most of those channels on Dish? Oh, and my cable modem performance doesn't seem to suffer at all from the split.