Give Me Your Opinion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Give Me Your Opinion

MasterCylinder
04-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Who are the Top 3 vocalists that make you say WOW ?

Totally based on your opinion; not necessary to justify unless you want to offer.

I'll start...............all my picks are poprockers:

Ian Gillan -- during my high-school years, he was da' man.

Sammy Hagar -- genetically created to be a rock singer.

Mickey Thomas -- the smoothest high tenor with a BIG range.

Troy
04-10-2006, 11:38 AM
John Lydon
Bowie
Danny Elfman

Dusty Chalk
04-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Gotta second Danny Elfman -- "...From my heart and from my hands, why don't people understand...my intentions?..."

Holly Johnson -- "...The power of love
A force from above
Cleaning my soul
The power of love
A force from above
A sky-scraping dove..." The range he shows in that song is just amazing

Chris Isaak -- the most tasteful yodeler I've ever heard

Yes, I seem to be impressed with pitch more than timbre or anything else. That's because I have like a 1/8th octave range, myself.

ToddL
04-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Hawksley Workman
Colin Macdonald (the Trews)
Mick Jagger-that old guy can still do it

John Lydon is an interesting choice. Your talking about the same Johnny Rotten right?

Troy
04-10-2006, 02:08 PM
John Lydon is an interesting choice. Your talking about the same Johnny Rotten right?

Yeah, when he was in PiL. That weird breaking tenor falsetto kills me. Sounds like Katherine Hepburn after a steroid and testosterione shot. I like oddball singers. It's a mood dependant question. Ask me tommorrow and my list may read:

Ian Anderson
Stan Ridgway
Tom Waits

ToddL
04-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah, when he was in PiL. That weird breaking tenor falsetto kills me. Sounds like Katherine Hepburn after a steroid and testosterione shot. I like oddball singers. It's a mood dependant question. Ask me tommorrow and my list may read:

It reminds me of a cornered aggressive cat. But a good choice.

MindGoneHaywire
04-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Tom Waits, k.d. lang, & Chuck D.

ForeverAutumn
04-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Tom Waits, k.d. lang, & Chuck D.

This is a good question...and a tough one. Although, I'm not a big fan of k.d. lang's music...just not my general taste...her voice knocks me out every time. She has to be one of the best voices ever IMO.

Cat Stevens is a name not mentioned much around here, but a fantastic voice that I always love to hear.

And Freddy Mercury will round out my list.

N. Abstentia
04-10-2006, 08:03 PM
k.d. lang..good call.

Elton John back in the day, the guy was amazing.

I've also always admired both Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel. Very different vocalists, each with his own strengths. Phil..smooth with lots of power. Peter...raspy and emotional.

MindGoneHaywire
04-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Nina Hagen, Slim Gaillard, Ian Curtis.

bobsticks
04-11-2006, 05:16 AM
1) Andrew Eldritch
2) Luciano Pavarotti
3) Till Lindemann

audiobill
04-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Neil Young
Billie Holiday
Freddy Mercury

Nick Drake
Alkea Protopsalti
Edith Piaf

Any of the above sets of three vocalists are my top three on any given week; changing, of course according to mood, season, and what life's tossing my way or I'm tossing back.

I'm enjoying reading others' top threes,

Bill

audiobill
04-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Hawksley Workman
Colin Macdonald (the Trews)
Mick Jagger-that old guy can still do it

I heard a professor of mine, back in the day, refer to Jagger as a musical instrument. The more I listen to the Stones (and some of Mick's solo stuff), the more I hear her point.

Mr Peabody
04-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Off the top of my head I like Steve Perry, Ronnie James Dio and Joe Bonamasa also has strong pipes. In females I like Leann Rimes, Carrie Underwood, Anita Baker and Mariah Carey. Pat Benatar is also an old favorite.

Oooh, my post almost looks like that confession post :)

MasterCylinder
04-12-2006, 04:09 AM
Mr. Peabody:

Your female choices are very good.

I hate to admit it at this board but I think Celine Dion has an amazing voice -- perhaps a dorky stage presence and a wacky marriage, but an amazing, natural singing talent.

BinFrog
04-13-2006, 04:05 AM
Eddie Vedder
Geddy Lee
Nick Drake