To mush or to spike... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To mush or to spike...

nightflier
04-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I was wondering what is best for isolation, those rubber-type mushy feet or brass spikes. I've tried spikes on a CD player and frankly could not make out much of a difference, and only scratched the bottom of a very nice player. But now I have a TT that I would like to provide more isolation for so I was thinking of using a dense wooden board with either mushy or spiked feet. The mushy ones are about 1/2 the price. Any thoughts?

swicken
04-10-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't know, if you isolate your cd player it might feel alone and start to get depressed.
I hear sad cd players don't perform as well.

JoeE SP9
04-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Try hockey pucks. They are cheap and they won't scratch anything. In some cases they are very effective. If they don't work give them to your kids.:cool:

JohnMichael
04-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I use spikes under the tt and mush under the cd.:6:

Mike Anderson
04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
I use jello under the CD player, chocolate pudding under the TT, gravel under the amp, and dog poop under the DAC.

Resident Loser
04-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I was wondering what is best for isolation, those rubber-type mushy feet or brass spikes. I've tried spikes on a CD player and frankly could not make out much of a difference, and only scratched the bottom of a very nice player. But now I have a TT that I would like to provide more isolation for so I was thinking of using a dense wooden board with either mushy or spiked feet. The mushy ones are about 1/2 the price. Any thoughts?

...that the TT/tonearm/cart combo is a sensitive mechanical analog contraption you want to de-couple it from structure-bourne vibration...generally speaking, spikes will couple (just like a nail couples a coupla' 2X4s) and things like sorbothane mats isolate...I have an old set of AudioTechnica feet that are also leveling devices (another important consideration BTW) and they are soft and compliant...CDPs...well let's not go there...completely different animal...

Be mindful that any board will have the tendency to act (under the right conditions) as a sounding board much like a guitar or other stringed instrument...any vibration with which it might vibrate in sympathy with, may be caught and be amplified by it and cause it's own unwanted interaction with the TT...also if too heavy it will compress any soft isolation device beyond the intended design parameters lessening or completely negating it...it's a delicate balance that must be struck...

I wound up desiging and constructing an open frame that would support my TT with a minimum of contact, provide suitable contact points for those AT feet I mentioned, eliminate the planar surface and be light enough not to compromise the compliance of the mushy stuff, yet able to maintain overall structural rigidity.

jimHJJ(...just my $.02 re: the wonderful world of vinyl...)

JohnMichael
04-11-2006, 10:59 AM

I think what you use depends on what you have. My Rega Planar2 modified sounds better on cones. My speakers do not go low in the bass so isolation from low bass is not needed. My table sounds better on cones which drain away internal vibrations. Also some cones help keep external vibrations from entering the turntable. I saw a picture of the MMF7 and it looked like it came with cones. Try it both ways and the type of floor your rack is on will also make a difference. I have a concrete floor and that helps. I use my Audio Technica feet under my cd player.

nightflier
04-11-2006, 12:47 PM
JM, RL,

The turntable I'm trying to isolate is a MH MMF-7, actually. It has cone feet and decoupled motor, but unfortunately the rest of the setup is a wobbly mess. I'm using a Salamander Archetype rack, which in itself is not a good rack, I know. To top it off, I am on the second floor and so this is all sitting on a wood floor (actually wood-laminate over plywood). My speakers actually produce a lot of bass so I need to isolate the TT from the vibrations in the room and the rack. I have a thick pine board and I was wondering what kinds of feet would best help isolate the TT from the rest of the room.

BTW, I'm not trying to split hairs, but is could be possible that some vibration is coming through the TT's cables as well, since they are connected to the phono preamp on a lower shelf.

JohnMichael
04-11-2006, 01:00 PM
JM, RL,

The turntable I'm trying to isolate is a MH MMF-7, actually. It has cone feet and decoupled motor, but unfortunately the rest of the setup is a wobbly mess. I'm using a Salamander Archetype rack, which in itself is not a good rack, I know. To top it off, I am on the second floor and so this is all sitting on a wood floor (actually wood-laminate over plywood). My speakers actually produce a lot of bass so I need to isolate the TT from the vibrations in the room and the rack. I have a thick pine board and I was wondering what kinds of feet would best help isolate the TT from the rest of the room.

BTW, I'm not trying to split hairs, but is could be possible that some vibration is coming through the TT's cables as well, since they are connected to the phono preamp on a lower shelf.

Have you considered a wall mounted turntable shelf? That would take care of your rack and floor problems.

nightflier
04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
JM,

The walls are not much better. I live in earthquake country so the houses here are not made of brick & mortar. I did run across this device:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_maglev_bases.htm

Now I need to find some magnets that will allow me to make this w/o spending an arm & a leg.