Supporting the independent artist [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Supporting the independent artist

Hawkeye
04-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Just a heads up for anyone into searching out and supporting the independent artists....

I drove to Syracuse, NY last night to see Chris Orbach, a talented singer/songwriter from a show-biz family, he plays primarily in and around NYC. The venue last night was a small art and music house in upstate NY called The Red House. The crowd was smallish but very appreciative, and his supporting band was top notch. No surprise since they've worked with some big names: lead guitarist Stew Cutler has played with Percy Sledge, Jimmy Caster, The Chiffons, David Sanborn to name a few. Bassist John Montagna has shared the stage with such heavy-weights as Denny Laine (Wings, Moody Blues), the late John Entwistle, Todd Rundgren, Alan Parsons, Christopher Cross and more. And drummer Graham Hawthorne has worked with Paul Simon and David Byrne. Despite the impressive credentials of his band, Chris is relatively unknown in the music world, and in fact works days doing commercials, voice-overs, and occasionally some acting to pay the bills in hopes that his music career takes off. Last night's show was a total blast, everyone there had a great time. I spent a fair amount of time talking with Chris after the show. He's really down to earth and one of the nicest and most sincere people you could ever meet.

Check out his music at http://chrisorbach.com/ He sells his cds on cdbaby.

Disclaimer - I am in no way affiliated with Chris Orbach. I simply went to the gig last night and really dug his music and just wanted to recommend him to anyone tired of the cookie cutter music being released by the corporate music world today. Check him out, I think many of you would like his music.