Fluance speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fluance speakers?

tullymars
01-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Does anybody own or ever heard a pair of these?They have what seems to be some good deals,I know nothing about them,any good,and where are they from?

madrushian
01-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Does anybody own or ever heard a pair of these?They have what seems to be some good deals,I know nothing about them,any good,and where are they from?

I got mine a week ago .They sound good. I will say I am no audiophile but I love audio video equitment. They Sound Good to me. I was running a KLH HTIB setup before. I will say the fill the room and can rock. I got the Sx version with a real nice wood finish. No they are not Axiom, or rockets. It is a budget system, but play better than that. They are well worth more than what you pay for. I also Got the 12in 200w sub for $250. So for $500 it was worth it. Also Fluance did get a 2003 Choice award from Audio Review.com. I hope that helps

Harleyx
01-25-2004, 11:50 AM

Well, these are their older sister.
There's a good reason they're mass marketed on E-bay, while reputable dealers frown on that.
I e-mailed them to inquire how, when they have 4 100 watt speakers and a 250 watt sub, do they rate their system at "over 1000 watts"?. Musta been one HELL of a center channel.
Anyway, no reply after 6 months answered ALL of my questions.
Caviat Emptor.

Worf101
01-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Just like the swallows to Capistrano.... it's our bi-monthly "are Fluance Speakers any good" question. The answer...

Wait for it..

It's gonna be good..

no....

Da Worfster :eek:

Harleyx
01-25-2004, 08:01 PM
And when this one dies out, I'm gonna tell Mytr that I really DID notice a difference in cables...)

tullymars
01-26-2004, 04:02 AM
Simple questions require only simple answers,or so I thought

tullymars
01-26-2004, 04:04 AM
Beam me up Scotty!This planet sux......stardate,2000andsomething

Bryan
01-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Back to the topic at hand, they are good at their price point. However, do not expect them to be in the same league as Boston Acoustics, ACI, Onix, B&W, Dynaudio, etc. They are better than a HTB. If you have more than $500 for a complete set of HT speakers, look elsewhere. If you have less, these deserve a look.

Harleyx
01-26-2004, 03:16 PM
A) Get a job
B)take a screwdriver and RAM your eardrums, I'll send you a clock radio

tullymars
01-27-2004, 04:39 AM
OK then,the gods have spoken,think i'll recomend them,a buddy of mine is looking for a surround sound set up,any recomendations on a surround reciever...affordable one,Sony has one advertised for $300

Bryan
01-27-2004, 06:24 AM
Harleyx,

That is one of the most idiotic thigns I've ever read. It is things like that which cause people to move to other boards or think we are a bunch of elitists.

tully,

What is his total budget and room size? Does he have a sub? Currently for those two items he is looking at $550.

The Yamaha HTR-5630 goes for $199 delivered at BestBuy.com.

The HSU Ventriloquist ($311 delivered if ordered without a sub, $211 delivered if ordered with a HSU sub)/VTF-2($449 delivered) combo goes for $660 delivered from HSUresarch.com and is another possibility for him to consider.

Harleyx
01-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Harleyx,

That is one of the most idiotic thigns I've ever read. It is things like that which cause people to move to other boards or think we are a bunch of elitists.

tully,

What is his total budget and room size? Does he have a sub? Currently for those two items he is looking at $550.

The Yamaha HTR-5630 goes for $199 delivered at BestBuy.com.

The HSU Ventriloquist ($311 delivered if ordered without a sub, $211 delivered if ordered with a HSU sub)/VTF-2($449 delivered) combo goes for $660 delivered from HSUresarch.com and is another possibility for him to consider.
Speaking of idiocy, perhaps you should read before spewing.
The previous quote spoke of "an entire HT speaker setup for $500". Now in the real world, that's at least 2 fronts, 2 rears, 1 center and 1 sub. Unless your Bel Tone has fresh batteries, $500 for the 6 pieces will be crap. "elitists"? No, it doesn't mean we have our noses in the air, simply that we have taste, and our hearing actually works. But if people actually think they can get a 6 speaker HT setup for $500, maybe they SHOULD move to another board....are there any where people donate their old gear?
Nuance...Fluance...same $hit, same pile. There's a reason they sell out of the backs of vans.

tullymars
01-27-2004, 08:37 AM
I dont have a clue on room size,this is a fella I work with he's not looking for big time audio,he just wants to get into surround for movies,I only do two channel audio myself,thats what I prefer so its hard to for me to stear him in the right direction.But five speakers for just under $300 from Fluance looks like a good deal,and he doesnt have a sub,but Im sure he will be impressed with the sound of any system,only stereo he has now is a boom box.

Bryan
01-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Harleyx
Speaking of idiocy, perhaps you should read before spewing.
The previous quote spoke of "an entire HT speaker setup for $500". Now in the real world, that's at least 2 fronts, 2 rears, 1 center and 1 sub. Unless your Bel Tone has fresh batteries, $500 for the 6 pieces will be crap. "elitists"? No, it doesn't mean we have our noses in the air, simply that we have taste, and our hearing actually works. But if people actually think they can get a 6 speaker HT setup for $500, maybe they SHOULD move to another board....are there any where people donate their old gear?
Nuance...Fluance...same $hit, same pile. There's a reason they sell out of the backs of vans.

I'm beginning to think you are either an idiot, jerk, or both. You say these things without presenting a viable solution. "A) Get a job B)take a screwdriver and RAM your eardrums, I'll send you a clock radio" What sort of advise or help is that? It is much like telling someone to put it where sun don't shine.

While it is true $500 will not buy the better HT gear it is also true it will buy much more than $250 will. I think we can agree $5K would buy a very nice HT system. However, even a $5K system will not sound good in a 40 x 40 room.

Perhaps it isn't the other people that should move but YOU. If nothing else, at least your point of view.

tully,

HT is all about impact. It is there where an excellent sub is needed. Ideally, your friend would have everything else and just need a $500 sub. As that isn't so, perhaps the following will work for him:

Sony SA-WM20 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806317290&skuId=5378897&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03045) - $100 delivered from Best Buy. Will never be confused with a SVS but much better than nothing. 20Hz? Doubtful. Count on boomy bass from 35 - 63Hz.
Yamaha HTR-5630 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1058188139490&skuId=5786884&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031) - $199 delivered from Best Buy. Not the best but one of the better entry level receivers out there.
Fluance AV-HTB (http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html) - $199.99 delivered. Made for small to medium rooms. Not great but you could do far worse and you get what you pay for.

Total - $498.98.

The SX version looks much nice but costs more too. Neither will be confused with Axioms, Ascend Acoustics, nOrh, or Rocket Tykes. The HSU Ventriloquist runs $311 delivered but will be comparable in price only if you get one of their subs with it. Figure $860 if he orders the Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo plus the Yamaha receiver.

Harleyx
01-27-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm beginning to think you are either an idiot, jerk, or both. You say these things without presenting a viable solution. "A) Get a job B)take a screwdriver and RAM your eardrums, I'll send you a clock radio" What sort of advise or help is that? It is much like telling someone to put it where sun don't shine.

While it is true $500 will not buy the better HT gear it is also true it will buy much more than $250 will. I think we can agree $5K would buy a very nice HT system. However, even a $5K system will not sound good in a 40 x 40 room.

Perhaps it isn't the other people that should move but YOU. If nothing else, at least your point of view.

tully,

HT is all about impact. It is there where an excellent sub is needed. Ideally, your friend would have everything else and just need a $500 sub. As that isn't so, perhaps the following will work for him:

Sony SA-WM20 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806317290&skuId=5378897&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03045) - $100 delivered from Best Buy. Will never be confused with a SVS but much better than nothing. 20Hz? Doubtful. Count on boomy bass from 35 - 63Hz.
Yamaha HTR-5630 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1058188139490&skuId=5786884&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031) - $199 delivered from Best Buy. Not the best but one of the better entry level receivers out there.
Fluance AV-HTB (http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html) - $199.99 delivered. Made for small to medium rooms. Not great but you could do far worse and you get what you pay for.

Total - $498.98.

The SX version looks much nice but costs more too. Neither will be confused with Axioms, Ascend Acoustics, nOrh, or Rocket Tykes. The HSU Ventriloquist runs $311 delivered but will be comparable in price only if you get one of their subs with it. Figure $860 if he orders the Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo plus the Yamaha receiver.
And I'm beginning to think you're deaf, labotomized or both. Obviously any quality of sound is not important to you. Get real, when is good HT about lowest price?
"HT is all about impact"??? Now THAT is the dumbest thing I've heard yet. Impact is nice, but what good is it if there isn't accuracy and detail of sound?
My first HT setup was similar to what you're recommending, only it was ALL Yamaha.
I think it took me a whole week before I returned it all...and I was in a 1 bedroom apartment at the time.
Sounds just were not right. It had an ok sub, and it boomed (your impact) plenty, but simple talk, sounds that should've moved around the room did not.
I'm not saying you have to spend $30 Grand, but why bother going 1 step above a boom box?
Then again, those guys in vans probably move alot of gear, that's why they're always there.

Bryan
01-28-2004, 06:22 AM
And I'm beginning to think you're deaf, labotomized or both. Obviously any quality of sound is not important to you. Get real, when is good HT about lowest price?
"HT is all about impact"??? Now THAT is the dumbest thing I've heard yet. Impact is nice, but what good is it if there isn't accuracy and detail of sound?
My first HT setup was similar to what you're recommending, only it was ALL Yamaha.
I think it took me a whole week before I returned it all...and I was in a 1 bedroom apartment at the time.
Sounds just were not right. It had an ok sub, and it boomed (your impact) plenty, but simple talk, sounds that should've moved around the room did not.
I'm not saying you have to spend $30 Grand, but why bother going 1 step above a boom box?
Then again, those guys in vans probably move alot of gear, that's why they're always there.

Not hardly. My system is one of the better ones out there for HT (Outlaw receiver, nOrh speakers, SVS sub). You won't feel an explosion or T-Rex footstep without a sub. It is that impact which makes the HT. With any system you would ideally be able to have that accuracy and detail but where there is a limited budget to work with compromises must be made.

One thing as well to note is I have said many times: boomy bass never equals good bass. My idea of impact is that celler dweller stuff (25Hz and below) in U-571, Toy Story 2, Lord of the Rings, and Titan A.E., to name a few. If the sound track is set up to where it is one rumbling note the sub should be able to play that. If it is set up to where there are clear individual low notes (such as in pipe organ music) the sub should be able to play those. However, this comes at a cost and will literally eat the guys entire budget.

A step above a boom box is still a step in the right direction. Ideally, he would go about building his future system slowly, going with a pair of speakers and good, entry level receiver. Used gear would work wonderfully for building towards a quality system as well as DIY. (Addional options not noted by you or anyone else for that matter.)

In today's day and age we want instant gratification. A good to great HT system on a limited budget doesn't fall into that category but a passable one that is better than a boom box system does.

Harleyx
01-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Your idea of a "microwave society" comes into play (Hence the age old CD vs LP argument), but I will fiercly disagree that todays society needs instant gratification where it applies to HT. Not only do we pay GROSS amounts to hear it done well in theaters, but anyone serious about it installs at least half decent gear in their home.
As for the T-Rex foot steps, my sub is great, but the fronts carry it quite well on thier own....see, theres a good example. Many good speakers can carry that on their own.

jeffrodesiac
01-28-2004, 10:27 PM

done mad research on the web about em im getting them with my tax return

Bryan
01-29-2004, 06:27 AM
I can see where Your idea of a "microwave society" comes into play (Hence the age old CD vs LP argument), but I will fiercly disagree that todays society needs instant gratification where it applies to HT. Not only do we pay GROSS amounts to hear it done well in theaters, but anyone serious about it installs at least half decent gear in their home.
As for the T-Rex foot steps, my sub is great, but the fronts carry it quite well on thier own....see, theres a good example. Many good speakers can carry that on their own.

Sadly, most people want the whole package now. Few people I know of would have waited six months to get speakers and five months on a sub as I did. If they desire to do it right patience and money are essential. For something somewhat decent and passable, compromises must be made. Sadly by doing that you end up with upgraditis but live and learn.

twwesn
01-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Harleyx, I am in total agreement with Bryan. I am one of the many that frequent this message board and although I would agree that Paradigm, B & W, Boston, etc, etc, would be the way to go as far as the best sound, I am also a person that has other bills to pay and my HT shouldn't break me. For people who don't utilize their systems or have inferior systems (like a boombox), a $500 speaker system will probably be a big upgrade for them. In the future, if you don't have a good suggestion for a post, DON'T REPLY. Man that was easy.

Harleyx
01-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Harleyx, I am in total agreement with Bryan. I am one of the many that frequent this message board and although I would agree that Paradigm, B & W, Boston, etc, etc, would be the way to go as far as the best sound, I am also a person that has other bills to pay and my HT shouldn't break me. For people who don't utilize their systems or have inferior systems (like a boombox), a $500 speaker system will probably be a big upgrade for them. In the future, if you don't have a good suggestion for a post, DON'T REPLY. Man that was easy.
I'll reply at my leasure, you have the option of clicking your back button.
If Paradigm breaks you, find another hobby.
As I stated earlier, I HAD a small yamaha satellite system, it sucked, I upgraded.
Over the years, by dealing, e-baying, and a bit (not much actually) of saving, I achieved a decent system.
Why would you settle for something you KNOW you're not totally happy with?
Now THAT was easy.

topspeed
01-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Without getting into the middle of this cost vs. value debate, because both arguments have merit, why not start with a decent pair of mains and slowly build from there? Tully, you say you're into 2 channel so you should be able to steer your friend to some decent mains for 5 bills, right? I can't imagine a $500 ht set sounding good...at anything. Compromises will be made, huh? My opinion is that bad sound at any price is bad sound. There's no value in that for the consumer, only the sharks that sold it to you.

Look, there's a reason there's cliches like "Patience is a Virtue" and " All good things come to those who wait." They're true. I'd much rather have two decent mains that satisfy me long term than compromise my standards simply because I can't control my desires for immediate gratification.

Harleyx
01-30-2004, 05:06 AM
Without getting into the middle of this cost vs. value debate, because both arguments have merit, why not start with a decent pair of mains and slowly build from there? Tully, you say you're into 2 channel so you should be able to steer your friend to some decent mains for 5 bills, right? I can't imagine a $500 ht set sounding good...at anything. Compromises will be made, huh? My opinion is that bad sound at any price is bad sound. There's no value in that for the consumer, only the sharks that sold it to you.

Look, there's a reason there's cliches like "Patience is a Virtue" and " All good things come to those who wait." They're true. I'd much rather have two decent mains that satisfy me long term than compromise my standards simply because I can't control my desires for immediate gratification.
Here's another.
Why not read up on some of the DIY pages and build a set?
I'll bet real money with $500 and some research you could build better than Fluance.

Bryan
01-30-2004, 05:53 AM
Both of you are posting echos of what I said a few posts back.

A step above a boom box is still a step in the right direction. Ideally, he would go about building his future system slowly, going with a pair of speakers and good, entry level receiver. Used gear would work wonderfully for building towards a quality system as well as DIY. (Addional options not noted by you or anyone else for that matter.)

People often mistakenly think A) buy it all now or B) HTiB is the answer when C) Build your system slowly or D) Used gear or E) DIY are the best options. When buying equipment on a budget, be it $500 or $2000, one item is often given preference over another. With a $500 budget with no other gear other than a dvd player and tv and the person wants everything else now the subwoofer will suffer. With a $2K budget and a 3,000 cubic foot room, having a tv and dvd player, my recommendation will be geared towards spending the vast majority of the budget on the speakers and sub.

Ironically the system most, if not all, of us were happiest with was our first one, when we were completely ignorant about most things audio.