Triumvirat recs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Triumvirat recs?

Mr Peabody
04-09-2006, 03:06 PM
I heard Illusions of a Double Dimple this morning which got me interested in picking up a Triumvirat album. That will probably be my first but I thought before I leap I'd throw it out to see what you all thought. One thing that confuses me about IDD is when the DJ said what he played he said "Illusions of a Double Dimple, Triangle" and a couple other things but when I looked on line at the track listings it shows IDD but not Triangle or the other couple of titles. Does IDD have sub sections that aren't listed on the track listing or did this guy mix tracks from other albums? I think the tracks are related because of the same melody coming up around each but I can't understand why all the tracks wouldn't be listed. Unless maybe what he was playing is from an original album and this import listed on Amazon was not the same thing.

BradH
04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Here's the tracklist from my 32 yr old lp:

Side One
Illusions On A Double Dimple

Flashback
Schooldays
Triangle
Illusions
Dimplicity
Last Dance

Side Two
Mister Ten Percent

Maze
Dawning
Bad Deal
Roundabout
Lucky Girl
Million Dollars

I've always liked this album. Even though they were a rip-off of ELP & Yes it just sound awesome with that tight, compressed delay on the drums. As a young drummer I had to learn every lick. Most people like the followup Spartacus but I thought that sounded too much like ELP and less of their own thing. Plus the drum sound had changed.

BarryL
04-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Does IDD have sub sections that aren't listed on the track listing or did this guy mix tracks from other albums? I think the tracks are related because of the same melody coming up around each but I can't understand why all the tracks wouldn't be listed. Unless maybe what he was playing is from an original album and this import listed on Amazon was not the same thing.

Yes, Illusions consists of two suites, one on each side of the album. All the songs blend into each other to create one long piece.

After Illusions, I suggest you get Spartacus. Yes, it sounds a bit like ELP, but not really. It's easy to like.

Next to get is their next album after Spartacus, Old Loves Die Hard. They got a new English singer for this album, which takes some getting used to. If you get used to it, then you have a choice.

Either go backwards to their first album, Mediteranean Tales, which is an uneven early prog record featuring piano and organ and little synthesizer. Or go to the next album after Old Loves, Pompeii. This is a softer album, and harder to like.

After this they gave up on prog and moved to a more pop sound. A La Carte is uneven as is Russian Roulette.

Mark111867
04-14-2006, 04:35 AM
I'll second purchasing Spartacus. Great cd.

3-LockBox
04-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Can't believe I almost missed a Triumvirat post!

I think they only gots three albums. Sparticus is a good album. Illusions On A Double Dimple is made up of two side-long tracks, but killer tracks.

And Yes, they do ape Yes, and they do a good job of it.

Recommended (and I no like ELP)

unleasHell
04-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Here's the tracklist from my 32 yr old lp:

Side One
Illusions On A Double Dimple

Flashback
Schooldays
Triangle
Illusions
Dimplicity
Last Dance

Side Two
Mister Ten Percent

Maze
Dawning
Bad Deal
Roundabout
Lucky Girl
Million Dollars

I've always liked this album. Even though they were a rip-off of ELP & Yes it just sound awesome with that tight, compressed delay on the drums. As a young drummer I had to learn every lick. Most people like the followup Spartacus but I thought that sounded too much like ELP and less of their own thing. Plus the drum sound had changed.

32 years old? ****e, i'm getting old...

always loved this album...