Bose Acoustimass 10 vs...? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bose Acoustimass 10 vs...?

The Tahitijack
04-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Often I read the Bose topics and find the so called "Bose Bashers" simply say Bose is crap and go on to list all the reasons why you should not buy a Bose product, lack of research, inferior materials, poor design, you get the picture. Quite often they pont out that you can buy better gear that will deliver deep but not muddy bass, clear mids and crisp highs. Most of the time the set-up compared to Bose cost more. No surprise there. In most cases price equals better performance and/or quality. Ok, if you had $900 to $1,000 to spend for a 5.1 sub/sat system that would out perform the Bose Acoustimas III 10 Sub/Sat what would it be and why?

markw
04-09-2006, 08:36 AM
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHMICRA6&product_name=MICRA%206%20Home%20Theater%20System and, as for the why, simply listen to the two in your own home.

There are other more expensive options but this alone will do the job.

Not counting, of course, impressing your friends with the magical, mystical "bose" logo that so easily hypnotize the media inundated unknowing that make up the bulk of audio consumers. Not unlike oncoming headlights do to deer.

For a little more you can get four of these :http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASB1%2E2&product_name=Audition%20B1%2E2%20Speakers%20-%20Black,%20Pair and one of these: http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASC1%2E2&product_name=Audition%20C1%2E2%20Center%20Channel% 20-%20Black. That comes to the princely sum of around $380. Considering you have more than $600 left for a REAL subwoofer and speaker cables, do you really think you'll have a problem? Check out Hsu or SVS.

Believe me, this is not the end all and be all of all systems that outperform an Acoustimess system for $1,000 and under. That's kind of like shooting fish in a barrel.

kexodusc
04-09-2006, 09:04 AM
In addition to the Athena's, 2 that I'd take over the Bose are the Energy Act line and the Paradigm Cinemas. I think the Energy's are the best of the bunch, but they're also the most expensive around $700-$800.
The Paradigms are decent, the sub is better than the Athena's for sure, the highs are a bit smoother, but not much. The Athenas are a better value though IMO since they're both so close in sound to me.

I don't really pay much attention to the small sub/satellite systems, but any of these will whoop the Bose. All one has to do is demo them.

Bose truly uses cheap, poor quality drivers in these things. It's unbelievable how they can charge so much. They do look alright though, I suppose.

To be honest, if you went from a TV sets speakers to a demo of the Acoustimas, you'd think they were the cat's meow...you can get decent home theater sound out of them. I'm sure many people are happy with them. But there's better options available.

JeffKnob
04-09-2006, 03:10 PM
I have heard the HSU Research Ventriliquist speakers and HSU sub side by side with one of those Bose systems. There is a night and day difference. The HSU is much better.

www.hsuresearch.com

GMichael
04-09-2006, 03:17 PM
There are these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0yNhJeLsMRE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12700&I=108PT5P plus sub

Or these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0yNhJeLsMRE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12700&I=107RM6750T

Or these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0yNhJeLsMRE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12700&I=107RM105PB

Or these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0yNhJeLsMRE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12700&I=700P5PPS8

or these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0yNhJeLsMRE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12700&I=700P5PPS10

And these are much better for $780.00: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0yNhJeLsMRE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=12700&I=700P5PPS12

These are better at $300.00: http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFKHT1005S

For $800 you can have a receiver % DVD player along with a better set of speakers: http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4600KEFPACK

Ditto: http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/SR4500CANTPACK

Ditto for $500: http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKPACK2

OK, you should have a few ideas and sources to check now. But this is far from all. Happy listening & shopping.

L.J.
04-09-2006, 04:04 PM
R there rules........can I go used.......:)

Ok, lets see......I'll go the used route......is that cheating...........:confused5:

All from audigon, in excellent if not new condition:

Energy( yeah, yeah, yeah so I gotta Energy think going) Ok start over

Front:Energy C-3 = 225
Center:Energy C-C1 = 175
Surround:Energy C-1 = 150

Total = 550.....that leaves 400+ for a used sub or DIY kit.

well.....do I win......whatdo I get.......:)

OK, no more drank for LJ....:cornut:

markw
04-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Often I read the Bose topics and find the so called "Bose Bashers" simply say Bose is crap and go on to list all the reasons why you should not buy a Bose product, lack of research, inferior materials, poor design, you get the picture. Quite often they pont out that you can buy better gear that will deliver deep but not muddy bass, clear mids and crisp highs. Most of the time the set-up compared to Bose cost more. No surprise there. In most cases price equals better performance and/or quality. Ok, if you had $900 to $1,000 to spend for a 5.1 sub/sat system that would out perform the Bose Acoustimas III 10 Sub/Sat what would it be and why?Now, do you have any serious questions?

Woochifer
04-09-2006, 05:48 PM
The key consideration in picking out these sub/sat systems is just how small you need the speakers. If size is not an issue, then you're much better off piecing together a set of four bookshelf speakers plus the matching center speaker, and then reserving about $400 for the subwoofer. Figure that a pair of Paradigm Atom will cost less than $200 a pair, and the Hsu VTF-2 or SVS PB-10 will run you $400 on the button. This setup will give you much better coverage of the audible range than the Bose Acoustimass system will provide.

By design, the Bose AM systems have large gaps in the frequency range between where the satellite units leave off and where the bass module picks up, and they purposely boost the midbass to cover up this flaw. The Bose AM does not use a real subwoofer because the AM bass module goes above 200 Hz, which is well into the directional frequency range. It does not go very deep either. And the single-driver design of the satellite units also means that they will tend to cut off the highs a lot sooner than competing models that use two-way designs with dedcated tweeters.

The Athena, Paradigm, and Energy models recommended by others use two-way satellite speakers. They are still smaller than typical bookshelf speakers and will still leave a frequency gap at the lower end, but not nearly as large a gap as the Bose systems and they still allow you to use a low crossover point of 120 Hz or below.

Another model to consider is SVS' new package system. They use bookshelf speakers along with their well regarded PB-10 subwoofer. It's new and not a lot of people have it yet, but SVS has a good track record, and the silk dome tweeters and sealed design used on the speakers are unique design features at this price point.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm

The Tahitijack
04-09-2006, 06:53 PM
I like most of the comments. BTW my home theatre is supported by an M&K sub/sat system so the Bose AM 10's are not for me. A couple of qualifications. Most folks are not going to venture into high end specialty shops to seek out unknown brands. While Hsu is well known among audiofiles you won't find it on the shelf at the local audio retailer and won't be a system you and easily audition. Yes, you can piece to together used gear at a fraction of comparable new cost, but again the average non-audiofile consumer is not going to read magazines for 4-6 months let along shop around for uesed gear component by component or "trust" that unheard gear will sound fantastic when it arrives from and on-line e-tailer. So lets focus on speakers and systems that are easy to find in most major markets.

emorphien
04-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Often I read the Bose topics and find the so called "Bose Bashers" simply say Bose is crap and go on to list all the reasons why you should not buy a Bose product, lack of research, inferior materials, poor design, you get the picture. Quite often they pont out that you can buy better gear that will deliver deep but not muddy bass, clear mids and crisp highs. Most of the time the set-up compared to Bose cost more. No surprise there. In most cases price equals better performance and/or quality. Ok, if you had $900 to $1,000 to spend for a 5.1 sub/sat system that would out perform the Bose Acoustimas III 10 Sub/Sat what would it be and why?
I think that's an interesting statement you made. I see it a lot too. Someone will come in and rightfully say Bose is overpriced garbage, and then recommend a more expensive system.

Out of the box I am sure the SVS home theater package (whatever its called) for $1000 will trample the Bose speakers, then add a decent receiver and DVD player which might total $800 to match that and you've easily destroyed the $3000-4000 Bose system.

There are plenty of other kits similar to that which can offer the same. Otherwise piece together your own speakers, you could spend $1000-1500 on that and then spend another $500 on source components. Ultimately the speakers will have the biggest impact on your experience, moreso than whether you choose the $300 H/K amp or the $800 NAD one. I'm a fan (and owner) of both H/K and NAD, and while the NAD will undoubtedly sound better, spending twice as much on your speakers or shopping around (auditioning) to find ones that are better for you will have the biggest impact.

Since I built my home theater about three years ago while I was in college a lot of prices have dropped on some great speakers and you can get all the speaker you'd need to easily outclass the Bose in sound quality and output for under $1000 these days. Receivers, CD and DVD players are up to you but a lot of people considering Bose would find a sweeter sounding deal if they spent even 500 on the receiver and a source.

Since you don't want to deal with Internet Direct dealers and want to know what you can hear out on the store floor, I'd take any Polk speaker setup and a Velodyne sub over Bose any day of the week in terms of sound quality.

GMichael
04-10-2006, 05:18 AM
I like most of the comments. BTW my home theatre is supported by an M&K sub/sat system so the Bose AM 10's are not for me. A couple of qualifications. Most folks are not going to venture into high end specialty shops to seek out unknown brands. While Hsu is well known among audiofiles you won't find it on the shelf at the local audio retailer and won't be a system you and easily audition. Yes, you can piece to together used gear at a fraction of comparable new cost, but again the average non-audiofile consumer is not going to read magazines for 4-6 months let along shop around for uesed gear component by component or "trust" that unheard gear will sound fantastic when it arrives from and on-line e-tailer. So lets focus on speakers and systems that are easy to find in most major markets.

Crutchfield is fairly well known by the general public. But for the ones who don't know about them, the Infinity's I mentioned are also available from Circuit City. The Infinity name is pretty well known, and a trusted brand in the non-audiophile world. The average person could put together a much better system than Bose for much less if they only knew that Bose wasn't the best available. People tend to look at their high price and think, "you get what you pay for." So therefore Bose must be the best.

If they only knew.

GMichael
04-10-2006, 05:32 AM
R there rules........can I go used.......:)

Ok, lets see......I'll go the used route......is that cheating...........:confused5:

All from audigon, in excellent if not new condition:

Energy( yeah, yeah, yeah so I gotta Energy think going) Ok start over

Front:Energy C-3 = 225
Center:Energy C-C1 = 175
Surround:Energy C-1 = 150

Total = 550.....that leaves 400+ for a used sub or DIY kit.

well.....do I win......whatdo I get.......:)

OK, no more drank for LJ....:cornut:

Hi LJ,

How ya doing buddy? Hope all is well. Liking the new bedroom system?

OK, enough small talk. I just have one more thing to say.

Decafe tastes almost as good as real coffee. k?

L.J.
04-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi LJ,

How ya doing buddy? Hope all is well. Liking the new bedroom system?

OK, enough small talk. I just have one more thing to say.

Decafe tastes almost as good as real coffee. k?

Everythings great!......How's that house of yours coming along?

Ah, the good ol bedroom system.......sounds great. Kinda wish I went with the Bose 321 system though, for the superior SQ and space saving advantage that it offers. Did I mention it's on sale for ONLY $1104. Cant beat that. I'm sure if I shopped around, did a little research, and compared products, I would never be able to find better, so I just won't try.

Yes, decafe does taste almost as good!!! :)

GMichael
04-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Everythings great!......How's that house of yours coming along?

Ah, the good ol bedroom system.......sounds great. Kinda wish I went with the Bose 321 system though, for the superior SQ and space saving advantage that it offers. Did I mention it's on sale for ONLY $1104. Cant beat that. I'm sure if I shopped around, did a little research, and compared products, I would never be able to find better, so I just won't try.

Yes, decafe does taste almost as good!!! :)

The house is not coming well right now. The inspector put in his report to our builder that the ground is unstable. Not sure what he means. And the inspector went on vacation so there's no way to find out until he returns. But it's a flat lot. No hills. No place for the dirt to slide off too. We're in a waiting pattern now.

Told ya that you should have gone Bose. Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

L.J.
04-10-2006, 08:11 AM
The house is not coming well right now. The inspector put in his report to our builder that the ground is unstable. Not sure what he means. And the inspector went on vacation so there's no way to find out until he returns. But it's a flat lot. No hills. No place for the dirt to slide off too. We're in a waiting pattern now.

That sucks!!! I hope all goes well for you guys.

Told ya that you should have gone Bose. Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Your right! I should have blindly walked into a store and threw my money at the first thing I saw. But silly me, I foolishly audtioned products until I found the best fit for me. Next time.......wait.......dang there won't be a nex time.

Hmm....:idea: I got it.....Bose wave radio. I'll put one in the kitchen for wifee. She's sure to hear the $1400 worth of sound coming from this baby and how it's such a value. :rolleyes:

GMichael
04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
That sucks!!! I hope all goes well for you guys.

Your right! I should have blindly walked into a store and threw my money at the first thing I saw. But silly me, I foolishly audtioned products until I found the best fit for me. Next time.......wait.......dang there won't be a nex time.

Hmm....:idea: I got it.....Bose wave radio. I'll put one in the kitchen for wifee. She's sure to hear the $1400 worth of sound coming from this baby and how it's such a value. :rolleyes:

Thanks, we'll need all the luck we can get.

I made sure that we picked a design to lets the main system fill the kitchen with sound. This way she won't ask for a wave radio.

JoeE SP9
04-10-2006, 12:59 PM

What is it with you "Blose" lovers? If you have read anything at all on this site you are aware of the general feelings regarding "Blose". Do people like you do this just to start a brouhaha?
If you wanted advice you should just ask for it. Stop asking for alternatives to "Blose". Everyone on this site can give you several alternatives to any piece of "Blose" crap.:cool:

jocko_nc
04-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Buy a whole bunch of Bose and use it to shore up the foundation...

JoeE SP9
04-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Buy a whole bunch of Bose and use it to shore up the foundation...

It would hold up the middle but the top and bottom would be gone.:cool:

GMichael
04-11-2006, 05:00 AM
It would hold up the middle but the top and bottom would be gone.:cool:

And here I was thinking it was a good idea.

The Tahitijack
04-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Hay JoeE, thanks for setting me straight. Your response was exactly what I expected. Bose owners or anyone considering purchasing Bose are not welcome here. Any one asking a question is to be shouted down.

GMichael
04-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Hay JoeE, thanks for setting me straight. Your response was exactly what I expected. Bose owners or anyone considering purchasing Bose are not welcome here. Any one asking a question is to be shouted down.

You are very welcome here Tahiti Jack. Stick around and ask more questions. People here do feel very strongly about Bose. But that doesn't mean that you should go away. You'll find that most of us do want to help. And we sure do have a few, uhm, let's just say, characters here. Me included.:skep:

L.J.
04-11-2006, 08:07 AM

Dude, you started a thread asking if for $1000 a system could be put together that would outperform said Bose system. All the responses seem appropriate to me. One only needs to do a little bit of research and audition and compare for himself. If you ask for the thoughts of others, that what your gonna get.

Resident Loser
04-11-2006, 09:47 AM

...a hatchery and feed the fish?

I own Bose stuff, but I don't recommend them or nearly anything else for that matter...

Bose is expensive due to their omnipresent advertising...

Some of their products are closed-end systems and are therefore incompatible with other gear...

The single, summing bass module (it's not a subwoofer) can be problematic when not placed correctly due to it's rather high upper limit...

That being said...they are usually simple to set up (particularly the 3*2*1 system), they are visually unobtrusive (high WAF) and the overall sound produced, while perhaps not up to audiopile standards, is enjoyable by most accounts...after all HT is only glorified tee-vee...and of course, the cache of saying "I have Bose" can be of some note...of course depending on who you say it to, it can elicit either ooohs! or a Bronx-cheer...

jimHJJ(...FWIW...)

markw
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Hay JoeE, thanks for setting me straight. Your response was exactly what I expected. Bose owners or anyone considering purchasing Bose are not welcome here. Any one asking a question is to be shouted down.After all, yuou're the one thst swung the gauntlet in the first place by asking a fairly self-evident* question. That's like asking people if you should jump off a cliff. You really expect morethan one answer?

*at least to those that know audio.

orgasmdonor
04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
The only Bose product I would ever consider buying are the double cube speakers. Which in my opinion would be suitable for rear surrounds. BUT WAY TO EXPENSIVE AND NOT THE FREQUENCY RANGE I WOULD WANT. I just spent $349 bucks at a local Paradigm dealer, for a pair of Paradigm Phantom v3's, which blows the doors off any speaker Bose makes....especially in the quality of how the Paradigm's are built. I also agree with the fact that Bose spends too much cash on advertising that definitely gets passed on to the customer. :5: AIGHT !!!! MUDDA!!!

emorphien
04-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Well you've failed to understand the responses. You asked a question and got good answers but because they don't agree with your own opinion of Bose you think you're being yelled at. That's not entirely reasonable, but all it would take is a simple experiment of just going out there and listening to a properly setup bose system and a properly setup system using off the shelf polk or infinity speakers and the difference will be apparent right away.

Even Bose's floorstanders and regular bookshelves which IMO aren't as horrendously overpriced as their "systems" are defeated by every other major brand (klipsch, polk, infinity and others less common) in the comparison tests done on them.

teledynepost
04-11-2006, 05:32 PM
They make floorstanders?!

emorphien
04-11-2006, 09:17 PM
They make floorstanders?!
:lol: I was kinda joking, that's just what they call bookshelves on top of stands.

edit: and they did have the 601 for a while, which was a (short) floorstander. Don't think it's around anymore. There's been other models but it seems like its thinned out lately.

Resident Loser
04-12-2006, 08:27 AM
...there isn't a clue to be had...

Bose has made the 501s, 601s, 701s, and 801s...all of which were floorstanders...all of which are MDd...

The 901s which while not floorstanders in the strictest of terms are hardly "bookshelves on stands"... I sincerely doubt there are many bookshelves that could support them and position them as required. They also can be hung from the ceiling.

Then of course we have their failure in "comparison tests"...and for the umpteenth time it's apples and oranges...you can't compare any direct radiator to Bose speakers...they aren't the same and will never be the same. It's simple physics, but apparently not simple enough.

The average 2-way system has drivers that are positioned axially even if they are time-aligned and produce FRs and dispersion patterns endemic to the breed...NONE of the Bose loudspeakers follow that paradigm...the whole direct/reflecting concept, whether you think it flawed, a gimmick or whatever are not directly comparable to forward-firing systems...

If you prefer one over the other, that's fine...but boxes sound like boxes, planars like planars and Bose sounds like Bose...to make a valid comparison, simply pick your method of presentation and compare within each group...anything else is self-defeating at the outset due to the obvious disparity.

jimHJJ(...at least it should be obvious...)

emorphien
04-12-2006, 04:30 PM
And be that as it may, when properly setup they still fall behind compared to the "closest" thing according to many listeners including myself. It probably could work, but bose puts more of the money in to the marketing than the material.

JoeE SP9
04-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Thr real question is, why do "Blose" lovers come here and start a dialogue with people who know that you can get much better sound with gear from a audio oriented company. You come to an audiophile site, ask for an opinion and get offended when confronted with the truth.
Anyone who has compared a decent stereo system to any "Blose" product of comparable cost will hear the difference.
If "good" sound is what you want you don't buy "Blose". If you want unobtrusive background music coming from near invisible speakers then buy "Blose". Music lovers care too much about the sound to buy "Blose"
Maybe you should be addressing your thoughts to the Architectural Digest Forum. They seem to care as much about the reproduction of sound as you do.:cool:

Resident Loser
04-13-2006, 06:45 AM
And be that as it may, when properly setup they still fall behind compared to the "closest" thing according to many listeners including myself. It probably could work, but bose puts more of the money in to the marketing than the material.

...and I mean the collective you, so don't take it personal, miss the point...in order for any comparison to be valid and even remotely resemble a level playing field, like items must be pitted against each other...from cars to kumquats...you don't do pickups vs. convertible roadsters...apples vs. oranges...

If you are used to listening to a system that places it's tweeter at ear level and which is toed-in for "optimal" lines of transmission, you can't then say one which fires in multiple directions has poor high frequency response (or some such)...Unfortunately we are dealing with diverse parameters; whatever falling behind occurs is based on a prior experience that is markedly different, which IMO renders any direct comparison moot.

I would be curious to see the reaction of some of the hobbyists to a two-channel system that was equalized for the flatest response possible. How much of what is enjoyed is actually quite colored? How would the "ideal" of ruler-flat response, coupled with straight wire with gain, stack up against what the majority might consider to be the highest of fi...viz, their own system?

My guess it would be characterized as: strident...clinical...analytical...cold...lacking in bass...fatiguing...uninvolving? Generally unpleasant when compared to what they are accustomed to...

jimHJJ(...it's all in the perspective...).

topspeed
04-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Didn't joo guyz read the sign on the door?

Don't Feed The Trolls!

Thank you for your cooperation,
The Management

GMichael
04-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Didn't joo guyz read the sign on the door?

Don't Feed The Trolls!

Thank you for your cooperation,
The Management

There's a sign?

Sign.. sign... everywhere a sign...

superpanavision70mm
04-14-2006, 04:19 PM
There might be a chance that something I say is not already posted here, but if it is...forgive me. Why do I hate Bose? Actually it's not just Bose that I dislike, but rather any company that puts out 'all-in-one' deals where you the consumer are suppose to just purchase ONE giant box full of all that you need and be complitely satisfied with the sound that is prepackaged. These deals give you very little flexibility in multiple ways. You are limited by upgrading and often some of the finer tweaks that can be done. Everyone has different preferences with how they listen to music and often times the 'look' of the system. While Bose might be compact and delivery 'decent' sound by what the majority of people might think, there are others that prefer a bulky speaker setup that they know will deliver huge sound. Certainly there are speaker manufacturers out there that will cost you less than 1K, but you can probably get better or equal results, but YOU need to decide what type of sound you want and whether you are happy by the overall results.