iPods/MP3 players and HT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : iPods/MP3 players and HT

Eric Z
04-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Hello, all- I'm looking to buy an iPod/MP3 player for mainly working out and plane trips, etc. However, I was wondering if these things were able to be hooked up to your receiver- I've heard the MP3 quality isn't as good as CDs- is that true? Is it noticeable if you can play it through your receiver and speakers?

If it's possible to hook them up to your receiver, what's usually needed?

Just curious.

Thanks.
Eric

N. Abstentia
04-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Yes you just need a mini-plug to RCA adapter cable, readily available for about $5.

When iPod shopping, I was lead to the Sandisk Sansa and I'm glad I went that route. Compared to the iPod it does not need proprietary software (it's drag/drop with Windows Explorer), it plays WMA and WAV files, it's cheaper, and it does not use proprietary batteries.

teledynepost
04-09-2006, 02:31 PM
If you're working out, you'll probably want a player with flash memory, as opposed to a physical hard-drive as they (should be) more durable and smaller. I think they go up to 4GB at least.

Eric Z
04-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Yes you just need a mini-plug to RCA adapter cable, readily available for about $5.

When iPod shopping, I was lead to the Sandisk Sansa and I'm glad I went that route. Compared to the iPod it does not need proprietary software (it's drag/drop with Windows Explorer), it plays WMA and WAV files, it's cheaper, and it does not use proprietary batteries.

good to know- thanks, NA! i'm still early in my comparison shopping so your input is greatly appreciated!

do you hook up your mp3 player to your system? if so, do you notice a decent difference in sound quality with the mp3 compared to CDs? just wondering.

thanks again

Eric Z
04-10-2006, 11:25 AM
If you're working out, you'll probably want a player with flash memory, as opposed to a physical hard-drive as they (should be) more durable and smaller. I think they go up to 4GB at least.

i'll check those out, tele. i see tons of people working out with many different types of mp3 players- i think i'll probably get something in the 2-4gb size- however, i'm a bit tempted to look at some of the larger 20gb sizes- don't know why, but i am.

N. Abstentia
04-10-2006, 12:35 PM
When I hook my MP3 player to my reciever it's just for background music or outside music. There's no comparison to CD, but it's fine for casual listening.

The only bad thing about the larger size players is that they are hard drive based...which of course is only a bad thing if you need it while jogging or something. If it's going to get knocked around, get a flash player. I'm actually condering a 60 gig hard drive based player just so I can keep my entire collection at bedside.

Eric Z
04-10-2006, 05:59 PM
I think I will use it as background music as well- thanks for your input.

Good point regarding larger sized players. I'm going to check a few out soon. I'll take a look at that Sansa you mention.

Thanks again.
Eric