Arcam Alpha 10 help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Arcam Alpha 10 help

k1234
04-09-2006, 02:38 AM
hey everyone, i have the Arcam Alpha 10 which is great. yesterday i picked up myself some Montior Audio RS1's and i got home and got listening and everything was amazing. until... i got a static shock from the amplifier and ever since i can hear a bugging hissing noise in the speakers when there is no music playing but the amp is on :(

i was just seeking some assistance from any of you lot for advise on how i can get around this little issue. thanks in advance for any help given :confused5:

Thanks

k1234
04-12-2006, 10:40 AM
well someones just came and taken my amp away for repair, he cranked up my amp with some music playing for about 30 seconds with the brand new speakers :nono: :nono: hope it didn't do any harm to the brand new speakers. what you guys reckon?..

hopefully he wont charge too much.

Mr Peabody
04-12-2006, 05:33 PM
If you are certain the amp was fine before the shock, you might want to get it checked out. If there's a possibility that it might have always been there but you just noticed it after the shock, I'd suggest trying an aftermarket power cord. A cheater plug ( 3 prone to 2 prone adaptor) can sometimes eliminate a ground loop problem. I've had a couple Arcam pieces that had a noticeable buzz when no program was playing. One was an older processor with built in amps and the other is my current Arcam FMJ 3 channel amp. The problem in the FMJ was virtually eliminated when adding a Transparent power cord.

k1234
04-21-2006, 12:13 PM
hello, just to let you know that i FINALLY got my amp for the repair guy and he couldn't find any reason why it was hissing or anything. but he did tell me that he re-soldered about 10 parts as they were drying up (i wouldn't be able to tell, but he assured me that i wont be getting anymore static shocks from my amp) and he charged me £24...

he rambled on about how there are many amps which will hiss slightly due to not having some sort of muting thing :confused:

dunno if that was true and he couldn't be bothered to get my amp sorted. but i'm just SO happy to get my amp back and listen to these speakers (which are completely fine if you see my worry and reason for the thread)

so yeah. i'm very happy that my baby RS1's are back in action :D

does anyone have any feedback to the guys theory in which nearly most amps not being completely silent when connected to speakers when they have some sort of power to them?

have a good evening everyone.