subwoofer recommendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer recommendation

ClockworkZero
04-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone, just registered to the forums! I've been using this site for a years now to get all kinds of ill-informed biased reviews!
Just kidding! :)
Now I'm asking for some help.
I'm looking for a subwoofer to fill out the bass in my home setup, but I have some very strict guidelines. I am looking for opinions/recommendations of subs I could use.

First off, Iive in a small condo, about 680sq ft. The living room is roughly rectangular, about 10' wide and 20' long (28ish if you include the kitchen at the far end). Walls are drywall over concrete on one side, drywall on metal stud on the other. Floor is laminate on concrete, ceiling is stucco on concrete. One end is kitchen the other is all windows. That's the end my mains are at.
So not the easiest room to set up aurally.
I'm looking for a small sub that doesn't take up much space (because I don't have much room) and won't get me in trouble with the management (much) but still puts out noticable full low end. I rarely watch movies, and though I have a surround setup, most of my use is for music (and some gaming). I listen to all flavours of music, but I like funky, tight bass whether it be found in Jamiroquai, Lee "Scratch" Perry, Rush, Daft Punk, Beastie Boys, or anything/everything in between.
I've got a NAD 752 reciever which I'm really impressed by and generico/no-name speakers which for the price, I'm also impressed by. (My PSB Century 300i's just weren't cutting it in this space, nice as they are!)
My budget isn't huge, $500cdn is my cap.
I'm also in no hurry and can wait for a good deal to pop up.

So to sum up: Seeking small unobtrusive musical subwoofer of my dreams, for listening to music and long walks on the beach.

I should note, though I lurk audiophile places, I wouldn't characterize myself as one. It's cool as hell if you can hear a pin drop from 200 meters on your system, but why would you want to listen to a pin drop anyway?

bfalls
04-08-2006, 09:24 PM
You don't need a great sub for your needs. If you're looking for something adequate without disturbing the neighbors, I would recommend something from Klipsch. I have a small 8" Klipsch SW8 which does a great job for its size and cost. I've compared it to Paradigms, Velodynes and PSBs and although theirs go deeper they were more difficult to incorcorate into my system. You don't say what your current speaker system is, but if it's no-name there's probably a gap is frequency response between the satellite's low-end and a good sub. Since better subs are designed to fill in below 80Hz-90Hz you could have a hole in response between your sat's 100Hz-120Hz low-end and the above listed subs hi-end. Since most publicised Frequency responses are usually +/- 3db you you have to assume the a 3-9db drop in response in the 80db-120db range.. The Klipsch will go high enough to compensate for the satellites and down to approximately 30Hz-45Hz. Enough to be sonically satisifying without disturbing the neighbors. The sub will fill in and provide good bass and tonal balance without being boomy or over-powering. I haven't heard Klipsch's newest subs, but read good reviews for them. The SW8(II) provides satisfying bass and good value.

ClockworkZero
04-09-2006, 04:13 AM
My speakers are something called 2000 Acoustics. They look like Monarch knock-offs. The mains have a 1" silk dome tweeter and have 2 white plastic 6" drivers with some kind of soft poly/foam surround and a cheesy gold plastic bullet shaped dust cap in the middle which the cone moves independent of. They stand just over 3' high and are made of wood covered in fake cherry veneer. The surrounds/center have 1" silk dome tweeters and 4" smooth (no dustcap or center bump) cones made from silver painted paper and a foamy type surround.
Audiophile they ain't, but since the entire set cost me $100cdn from ebay I'm not complaining. They are very well built and sound excellent.

audio amateur
04-09-2006, 04:13 AM
I've haven't actually read very decent reviews on that sub. I would go with a 10inch HSU sub.

audio amateur
04-09-2006, 04:16 AM
My speakers are something called 2000 Acoustics. They look like Monarch knock-offs. The mains a 1" silk dome tweeter and have 2 white plastic 6" drivers with some kind of soft poly/foam surround and a cheesy gold plastic bullet shaped dust cap in the middle which the cone moves independent of. They stand just over 3' high and are made of wood covered in fake cherry veneer. The surrounds/center have 1" silk dome tweeters and 4" smooth (no dustcap or center bump) cones made from silver painted paper and a foamy type surround.
Audiophile they ain't, but since the entire set cost me $100cdn from ebay I'm not complaining. They are very well built and sound excellent.

What does this have to do with the original post?

audio amateur
04-09-2006, 04:23 AM
What does this have to do with the original post?

Sorry my bad I I thought it was someone else posting that.

gruss72
04-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Since it sounds like "big name brands" arent' your thing these might fit your budget although I dont know how the cnd to usd conversion goes.
http://www.directacoustics.com/
They're not a sub but they go plenty low and if space is a concern these things are great as they are made to be placed against or near a wall and have small footprint. They are built extremly well and personally I liked the bass from these better than a Velodyne VA12-10 (thier BB/CC models) I used to own.
I have a friend that still uses a pair and is routinely asked "where's the sub"
If space was more of a concern for me I would use these long before I'd spend money on a cheaper sub.

ClockworkZero
04-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Hmm, seems the guy who designs those directacoustics speakers lists that he designed for Nuance. I'm not sure I'd want to put that on a resume (overpriced, oversized, underwhelming (though certainly loud) mall speakers). It's not that I have anything against name brands or boutique firms, it's just a matter of cost. If I could afford real Monarchs I would (assuming they were any good). To be honest I still think old PSB Century 300i's are great, but when I upgraded from my consumer-grade Sony reciever to my NAD I knew right away that I needed more speaker to take advantage of the amp. I'd love better mains, but I know that getting what I'd like would cost more money than I can justify spending.
Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!

LMB
04-09-2006, 07:10 PM
If your interested I have a Velodyne SPL 800 II for sale $350.00

Worf101
04-10-2006, 04:40 AM
I've personally used HSU subwoofers now for about 6 years. I've two in systems at home and have installed 4 in systems I've built for friends. I think either the VT-F 2 or STF-2 would suit your needs. It's not the only good sub brand out there, but one I know is rock solid.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
04-10-2006, 06:03 AM
I've personally used HSU subwoofers now for about 6 years. I've two in systems at home and have installed 4 in systems I've built for friends. I think either the VT-F 2 or STF-2 would suit your needs. It's not the only good sub brand out there, but one I know is rock solid.

Da Worfster

I'll second the HSU, I had a VTF-2 for awhile and it performed great.
If you're really on a budget, you might consider one of the inexpensiveDayton subs at Parts Express. Or if you want to use up your $500, the Titanic kits are killer for the money...

audio amateur
04-10-2006, 10:44 AM
tell us what you finally get:)

wayner86
04-10-2006, 08:53 PM
HSU subs get excellent reviews, im ordering one myself.

Check out this site:

www.electronicsforless.ca/HSU/

Or contact these guys to find the closest dealer to you:

http://www.hi-fidelity.com/DVDCases.htm

Wayne

RoyY51
04-11-2006, 08:27 AM
You might also consider the Outlaw LFM-1. It was designed by Dr. Hsu, and has almost identical specs as the VTF-3 (12" woofer, 350 watts), but at $579.00 represents a better value. I've had mine for a few months now, and I am still amazed at the musicality as well as the earth-shaking "slam" that this thing is capable of producing. I heartily recommend that you give it a listen.

ClockworkZero
04-11-2006, 01:48 PM
The LFM-1/VTF-3 12" 350W I think are a little bit of overkill for my needs and small space.
Thanks for the link, wayner86. EFL looks like it's local and they're demoing HSU's so I might go check them out.

Oh and LMB, you have PM!

elguapo123
04-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I have a friend who has the HSU vtf-2 and I took my JBL e250p and hooked them both up to his system to compare. We listened to them from the same spot in the room to music and movies (can't remember what) for about an hour. We both agreed that the HSU was the better performer but barely. I mean the bass was a little bit deeper and a little tighter. We're both new to home theater and haven't tried any other subs in our homes but both agree the HSU wasn't twice as good as the JBL since the HSU was $499 and the JBL was $225 (Ebay). So, in my humble opinion you'd be very happy with the JBL especially since anything you get will most likely shake the neighbors to death anyway.

One benefit of the HSU is that it has dual closable ports which allows you to adjust the sound for music and movies.

Also check out the Acoustech sub. It was designed by Dr. Hsu and has great reviews for a great price.