How would I determine if my Cantons are magnetically shielded? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How would I determine if my Cantons are magnetically shielded?

ThunderousBass
04-08-2006, 08:18 AM
80s vintage (I guess) Canton GL-260s...a quick wave in front of the monitor produced no distortion. Would like to have them nestled right up against the tv but don't quite dare.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated!

TB

markw
04-08-2006, 05:46 PM
put one of 'em fight next to the TN. If there's no visible distortion you're good to go. If there is, then turn off the TV and move it away. When you turn the TV on again, thanks to modern TVs and their built-in degaussing circuitry, it should be fine.

ThunderousBass
04-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks mark. I ran them close to the set with no distortion. Sweet. When I have them nudged up tight, it's a lot harder to see the five doggone miles of cable back there!

ruadmaa
04-09-2006, 11:50 AM
80s vintage (I guess) Canton GL-260s...a quick wave in front of the monitor produced no distortion. Would like to have them nestled right up against the tv but don't quite dare.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated!

TB

You can tell if a speaker is magnetically shielded by simply running a compass near it. If the compass changes direction you will know that the speaker is not shielded.