I was wondering about "Professional" reviews [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering about "Professional" reviews

jrhymeammo
04-06-2006, 07:23 PM
I was wondering, how much the reviewers/magazines/publishers get paid for allowing manufacturers to use published reviews on their websites? I'm not stating or insinuating that all reviewers/authors are being paid by manufacturers to write reviews. Just that it seems very tempting for authors to write nice reviews if those were followed by monetary incentives. Yeah I know, if that was the case then they are getting paid by companies. Whach'all think?

jrhymeammo
04-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Oh by the way, I am willing to write a nice review of a 2-channel amplifier or an integrated amp.

r m
04-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Oh by the way, I am willing to write a nice review of a 2-channel amplifier or an integrated amp.

Nice try but I don't think you are going to get anywhere with that approach. How can you suggest to audio companies that you are being objective, fair and balanced.

I am willing to write nice reviews of several 2-channel amplifier setups. Lounge, kitchen, bedroom, spare bedroom. I expect my offer will be more tempting to the audio companies and they will be on the e-mail to me straight away.

Florian
04-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh man your writing is even more wrong then mine :-)

Do you want money for writing a review? Let me tell you, i tried to get some german magazines to test the amps i sell and all wanted a bribe that i talked too. B&W sponsors trips and "invites" reviewers over where they get good deals.. LOL

Only trust your ears man!

jrhymeammo
04-07-2006, 12:56 PM
LOL. Hey Florian, I'm not asking manufactures to pay me to do anything. I was just thinking writers additional benefits outside of their normal salary. Now about your experience, it didn't suprise me at all. If I remember correctly you are from Europe, right? I had a misunderstanding on a term "black music" with you way back. Let me ask you this, in yours and other surrounding cultures do bribes take place in day to day business operation?

Florian
04-07-2006, 12:58 PM
I would guess about the same as in America or anywhere else in this world. Esp. in huge economic markets.

hifitommy
04-16-2006, 04:32 PM
"I was just thinking writers additional benefits outside of their normal salary"

at least at tas or stereophile. and to be good enough to write professionally you would have to have demonstrable skills and credentials. few amateur reviewers have those things. education, experience, and an innate ability to analyze and express your findings are all necessary for the privilege of being an audio writer. and having compositional skills so as not to lose structure are in there too.

manufacturers can recognize these traits or lack thereof quickly. if you had all the necessary tools and acumen, your wouldn't want to risk your position for a few bucks.

jrhymeammo
04-16-2006, 08:27 PM
I suck at reading and writing. Wait, are you offering me a job?

Feanor
04-17-2006, 05:04 AM
"...
at least at tas or stereophile. and to be good enough to write professionally you would have to have demonstrable skills and credentials. few amateur reviewers have those things. education, experience, and an innate ability to analyze and express your findings are all necessary for the privilege of being an audio writer. and having compositional skills so as not to lose structure are in there too.

Sometimes I wish certain TAS and Stereophile reviewers were less good at writing. Quite a few seem to specialize in tedious personal anecdotes and flowered descriptions of how the component sounded on some personal favourite piece of music that I usually haven't heard. I'm inclined to believer that most of these reviewers are writers first and audipophiles a distant second; they'd leave the audio mags in a jiffy if they could land jobs at a literary magazine, New Yorker let's say.

Assuming the reviewer has listening experience and competence, I'd prefer a straight forward style, and preferably one that put most description in an objective framework of typical component attributes and standardized terminology. A standardized repertoire of recordings would help hugely as well. Unfortunately I don't think consistency and objectivity are what mainstream audio writing is about.

hermanv
04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
The Audio magazine industry has a problem here. As far as I know most magazine writers do not make good money. Many of these reviewers have sytems and back up systems most of us can only dream of, systems that run $20,000 to $50,000 or even more.

The problems are, "accomodation pricing" and extended loan periods, sometimes running into years.

Let's say you've been in the bussiness for a while, let's also say that you know a certain manufacturer with a good reputation and who generally makes good equipment is more generous with his loan periods than another otherwise good manufacturer.

Now, you need a reference system so your reviews will be credible. You approach this manufacturer fully intending to be absolutely neutral in your upcomming review. Alas, human nature prevents you from being un-baised, no matter how good your intentions are, you will tend to be too favorable or even too critical because of the situation.

Exotic cars fill a similar need as exotic HiFi, you don't have to have one, but it's fun. In the exotic cars review bussiness, they don't let you keep the car and Ferrari won't sell you one for a token amount of its normal sales price.

IMHO reviewers who have another source of income, hopefully enough income to be a customer for the same kinds of equipment they review, have a better chance of being neutral.

I don't know how to fix this, I read the amateur reviews on this site and other sites, some are very good and believable others are pure excrement. There is another problem, if you are a manufacturer, nothing prevents you from encouraging your employees to sign up at Audio Review and post a ream of great reviews. This site like all others allows anonymous user names, It could be the same person under 20 different log on names.

Let the buyer beware.

jrhymeammo
04-21-2006, 05:16 PM
The problems are, ......... extended loan periods, sometimes running into years.

Let the buyer beware.

Ahhh I think that's what I was looking for and makes sense. L/T evaluation seem just as good as free equipments.

I am still ignorant, Com'on there got to be professional reviewers on this site reading this lame topic. I think they are too afraid to answer, or their editors are on vacation.

hifitommy
04-25-2006, 05:38 AM
FRANOR:

"I'm inclined to believer that most of these reviewers are writers first and audiophiles a distant second;"

as an example-robert harley is a digital recording engineer that also happens to be an analog lover. his writing is right to the point and his use of the language leaves no doubt EXACTLY what he means and how the product sounds.

you will NEVER find writing of that caliber in amateur reviews.

hermanv
04-29-2006, 01:44 PM
If you are being paid by the word, one could perhaps perceive, notice, spot, observe or recognize a certain tendency for a stylistic preference that includes, encompasses, and welcomes a more flowery, loquacious chatty and descriptive exuberance for a piece of equipment.