Best blank CD-R [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best blank CD-R

Century L100
04-06-2006, 05:53 PM
[Mods -- I'd have put this one in the digital forum, but there never seems to be anything going on there; move this if you must] :)

Does anyone have any preferences on blank CD-Rs to be used for copying original CDs? I've tried Maxell (the gold colored ones) and they sound pretty good, but they seem kind of weak in the bass when compared with the original CD. Ditto the Imation ones that I've tried more recently.

FWIW, I'm using the CD burner in my Dell 4700 -- not a component CD/RW recorder. Would it make a difference if I burn the disc at a slower speed?

Thanks.

teledynepost
04-06-2006, 08:30 PM
There is no difference in sound. The only difference between brands is maybe how long they will last.

michaeljr6
04-06-2006, 09:19 PM
try TDK, prob one of the best cd i've used.

HAVIC
04-07-2006, 04:06 AM
Tips for Picking the Right Blank Media, especially if you want to archive the data for 50 or more years.

http://www.techlore.com/article/10284/;jsessionid=88A3D48876D868FFD469DA9F56B36DCF

Found this website and it offers good information.

musicoverall
04-07-2006, 05:05 AM
Tips for Picking the Right Blank Media, especially if you want to archive the data for 50 or more years.

http://www.techlore.com/article/10284/;jsessionid=88A3D48876D868FFD469DA9F56B36DCF

Found this website and it offers good information.

Thanks for this URL. Good stuff!

I use clear TDK's. For some reason my standalone CD recorder doesn't like the gold Maxell's. While there may be no difference in sound, they are not all the same, as the article states. Some media work with some recorders and some don't. I've found that a CD-R that records the music sounds better than one that doesn't! :D

Mike Anderson
04-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Go here:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/

That site will tell you everything you want to know about CDs and DVDs, including which tend to last the longest.

The only difference in sound might come about as the result of more errors, which you may hear as pops or clicks, but not weak bass.

teledynepost
04-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Yes I have a CD made by a certain manufacturer in the early ninety's that has succumbed to disc rot. It doesn't skip, rather it creates a crackling. If there is any change in the information on the disc, it will result in errors like this (or even skip or not play at all), as Mike Anderson said. Otherwise they are exactly the same.

HAVIC
04-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Teledynepost, Hold those cd's with the crackling up to a light, you will most likely see pinholes in the cd. This is because the coating was not applied properly and the cd rusts.

teledynepost
04-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Hmm, can't see any pinholes, but it's 'bronzed' from the oxidation.

Jim Clark
04-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Personally I've used several brands without any trouble. For longevity a couple of things seem to keep popping up. Verbatim's Azo discs are always highly regarded. Any of the discs made at the Taiyo Yuden seem to be very popular as well. If you can find any of the Fuji discs made there, you've really found something. They have switched away from Japan and currently are just making cheap ass discs like most everyone else. These Taiyo Yuden Fuji's are usually on closeout if you can manage to find any. Probably going to be just pure luck though.

emorphien
04-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Taiyo Yuden has generally been pretty good... also find out whoever got Kodak's Gold technology, those were good discs and I know they're still out there (but pricy and hard to find).

kelsci
04-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Hmmm. A few years ago, I did a test on some cd-r's that my brother had in a cabinet. I know the old saying that digital is digital but that was not the case. I played with one specific disc in the transferring process on his computer. I liked the Maxell Gold that I had on hand for its sound quality. I did not experience any loss of bass from burning onto the Maxell Gold. On the other hand, the other discs that I tried were not worthy at all for burning a cd. This included a Sony, Imation, and a Kodak Gold. The last disc that he burned for me was a copy of a homemade disc that was burned on a PNY Black. These do sound very good.

emorphien
04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Well I'm not sure what the supposed benefits would be wrt sound quality. I can't imagine there being any if the disc burns properly, my original interest in CDs would have been for archical properties for storing photographs and other data. Kodak Gold for a long time had been one of the better formulas, maxwell might have bought it though.

Burning at a lower rate should in theory ensure fewer errors in the burn but I always wondered what that mattered if the disc check came up ok.

abhijit
04-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi to ALL
I am new to this forum. I am an Audiophile for the last 20 odd years. Over the years I have updated my systems. I am an Indian by brith and currently located in Kuwait. I listen to Jazz and old Rock. My present setup comprises of the following equipment:

1. Plinius SA102 Power Amp

2. Sonic Frontier Line -1 Preamp (Siemens NOS Tubes)

3. Wadia 861 CD player

4. Martin Logan SL3 Speakers

5. Aiwa XK-S900 Cassette Deck

6. Akai Synth. Tuner

Accessories:

Power Conditioner - MIT Z Center with Shuko receptables

Speaker Cable - DH Labs Q10 - 15' (Bi-Wire)

Interconnects - DH Labs Silver Revelation Balanced Cable

DH Labs Air Matrix single-ended Interconnect

Power Cables - Voodoo Black Dragon - 6' (Amp to Wall Socket)
Voodoo Silver Dragon - 6' (CD Player to MIT Zcenter)
Voodoo Mana - 6' (Preamp to MIT Zcenter)
Voodoo Mana - 6' (MIT Zcenter - 15 Amp British Round Wall Socket)
Voodoo Mojo - 12' each (Speaker power to MIT Zcenter)
Cable Isolater - Porcelan cable stand from Granite Audio

2/14" Brass Speaker spikes - Obtained from Granite Audio

Lovan Audio/Video Furnture

Cardas RCA and XLR caps used for unused Inputs

Room Treatment - BassBuster from Echo Buster

Roomtunes products also have been used

emorphien
04-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi to ALL
Umm, welcome to the forum... you seem a bit lost.