Definitive Tech ProCinema 100 not performing well [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Tech ProCinema 100 not performing well

audio420
04-06-2006, 04:01 PM
I currently have a Marantz SR8000 receiver and am not happy with the movie sound quality. With music, the system has a very nice warm wound with a lot of detail, but with movies the surround sound doesn't blow me away. There are also very limited choices for audio options like 5 ch stereo, stereo, Matrix, movie and Hall and some dolby options.
I've heard other receivers that have more impressive surround sound capablities and movies can blow you away. From what I understand, these speakers are capable of tremendous things. I'm looking for a new receiver in the $800 range that will blow me away.

Eric Z
04-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I currently have a Marantz SR8000 receiver and am not happy with the movie sound quality. With music, the system has a very nice warm wound with a lot of detail, but with movies the surround sound doesn't blow me away. There are also very limited choices for audio options like 5 ch stereo, stereo, Matrix, movie and Hall and some dolby options.
I've heard other receivers that have more impressive surround sound capablities and movies can blow you away. From what I understand, these speakers are capable of tremendous things. I'm looking for a new receiver in the $800 range that will blow me away.

audio420, i have the same speakers in one of my ht set-ups and they perform quite well- i currently just use a sub, two 100s for the fronts and two 100s for the surrounds (i'm not using a cc because i'm too lazy to pick one up for now). anyway, music and movies sound great, but remember, sound is different to everyone.

the def tech pm100s are pretty good speakers- they're definitely not top of the line, but i think they are also better than other speaker in the price range in which i listened.

i'm not familiar with your receiver and that may be the issue- maybe someone else here can compare it to some of the newer yamahas/onkyos/denons.

good luck!

drseid
04-12-2006, 11:43 AM

My guess is it is the speakers and not the receiver. There really is not going to be a whole lot of sound quality difference between receivers in your price range, IMO (most brand differences will be in ergonomics and features). As for the speakers, I used to own those and liked them before moving on to other brands but it could be they are just not to your personal tastes.

---Dave

N. Abstentia
04-12-2006, 12:24 PM
A new receiver definitely will not fix the problem.

You also mention a 'limited number of audio options'. Anything other than Dolby Digital or DTS is useless for 5.1 movies, they are the ONLY choices. The rest are just DSP's, and should not even be an option when playing DVD through the digital connection.

Sounds like you have installation and setup issues. Did you connect your DVD player with only a digital connection? Did you tell the Marantz to auto-sense when a digital signal is present?