Help with Pioneer HTS 950NXT or 940DV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pioneer HTS 950NXT or 940DV

jelo620sub
04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm considering the Pioneer HTS-50NXT or 940DV as my next home theater system. Not too sure what the differences are between these two systems. I like NXT technology, but there aren't too many models on the market or at least not many that fit my budget of $700. I haven't been able to find reviews of these two systems on Goolge, so if anyone has any experience with either of these and is willing to share... I'd greatly appreciate it!

:confused5:

SlumpBuster
04-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Okay, the problem your going to encounter is that those are HTiBs (home theater in a box) and none of the regulars on these boards would use or recommend such a thing. You have essentially walked into a cigar club and asked "Which should I smoke, Newports or Winstons." The answer will be "Niether."

They are going to suggest that if your budget is only $700, then you are better off with an entry level reciever in the $200-250 range, DVD for $75 to $100, and the remainder on a quality pair of bookshelf speakers i.e. epos, sonus faber, B&W, Mission, none of which you'll find at any store selling Pioneer HTiB. If you are looking to get into serious home theater or hi-fi, then they are right. But, if you are looking for an answer in terms of the "Consumer Reports" best buy, or if you are upgrading from a $200 shelf system, then I think either models will serve you well. They are compact, affordable, reliable, easy to set up and get the job done.

jelo620sub
04-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Okay, the problem your going to encounter is that those are HTiBs (home theater in a box) and none of the regulars on these boards would use or recommend such a thing. You have essentially walked into a cigar club and asked "Which should I smoke, Newports or Winstons." The answer will be "Niether."

They are going to suggest that if your budget is only $700, then you are better off with an entry level reciever in the $200-250 range, DVD for $75 to $100, and the remainder on a quality pair of bookshelf speakers i.e. epos, sonus faber, B&W, Mission, none of which you'll find at any store selling Pioneer HTiB. If you are looking to get into serious home theater or hi-fi, then they are right. But, if you are looking for an answer in terms of the "Consumer Reports" best buy, or if you are upgrading from a $200 shelf system, then I think either models will serve you well. They are compact, affordable, reliable, easy to set up and get the job done.

Hey SlumpBuster, thanks for the reply. I knew fully well what you suggested before posting. It's just that I could find absolutely nothing on those two systems. I have been building my own systems for a few years now, auditioning various speakers from mass market models to audiophile quality items. I wouldn't say I have the ear of an experienced audiophile but I do hear and understand why certain speakers cost more (some are overpriced, I would say). But anyhow, the point is that I'm considering getting one of the two systems for now and want someone who has experience with either of them to give me some feedback since my local stores don't carry these.