Jeff Buckley [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Buckley

ForeverAutumn
04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
I had never heard of Jeff Buckley, but my husband picked up Grace a little while back...around the same time that I picked up kd lang's Hymn's of the 49th Parallel. Each CD contains a cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and we had fun comparing them (I preferred kd's version, hubby preferred Buckley's version).

Anyway, today I was looking for something new to listen to and I pulled Grace off of the shelf. I hadn't ever heard anything other than Hallelujah off of it. What an outstanding disk this is! I'm only halfway through it and am completely enamoured by the song structure, the eclecticism, the melodies and Buckley's voice. The recording quality of this disk is excellent also. I can see that this will be in regular rotation for a while.

I'll have to pick up Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk. Now that I've finally discovered him, what a shame that I can't look forward to anything new by him.

Bernd
04-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Yep! That's a classic. I have it on 180 g Vinyl from Simpy Vinyl. Superb.

Enjoy

Bernd:6:

Duds
04-06-2006, 09:58 AM
My ex-wife is a huge fan, and so is my sister. I just dont what the hoopla is about him, very boring music to me, and his voice gets extremely annoying.

I had never heard of Jeff Buckley, but my husband picked up Grace a little while back...around the same time that I picked up kd lang's Hymn's of the 49th Parallel. Each CD contains a cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and we had fun comparing them (I preferred kd's version, hubby preferred Buckley's version).

Anyway, today I was looking for something new to listen to and I pulled Grace off of the shelf. I hadn't ever heard anything other than Hallelujah off of it. What an outstanding disk this is! I'm only halfway through it and am completely enamoured by the song structure, the eclecticism, the melodies and Buckley's voice. The recording quality of this disk is excellent also. I can see that this will be in regular rotation for a while.

I'll have to pick up Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk. Now that I've finally discovered him, what a shame that I can't look forward to anything new by him.

Davey
04-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I once did a thread around here titled, "What makes Jeff Buckley's "Grace" so beloved?", expecting to get a bunch of people telling me what a shallow person I am for not loving it, but seems most people that responded tended to agree with me that it's highly overrated. Haven't listened to it in years, but maybe I'll pull it out again one of these days and ask again ;)

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF63926.php

BTW, I wonder if the administration has noticed that this color scheme makes parts of the archive really hard to read?

JohnMichael
04-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Jeff Buckley's voice is incredible. I recently read an article where they were discussing modern male singers that sing in the countertenor range. The article was about the castrati and how high, pure and strong their voices were. The article listed non castrati Jeff Buckley and Andreas Scholl as male singers that would be close in range to the castrati.

Stone
04-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Haven't listened to it in years, but maybe I'll pull it out again one of these days and ask again ;)

I was thinking the same thing (except that I should pull it out again one of these days). This is an album I just never "got."

Dusty Chalk
04-06-2006, 11:34 AM
I wonder if the administration has noticed that this color scheme makes parts of the archive really hard to read?As a workaround until they fix it, you could just select all the text -- that makes it a little easier to read.

Dusty Chalk
04-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I was recently told over on head-fi when I praised James Blunt's album, that I should go back and listen to the originals -- Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake. Okay.

SlumpBuster
04-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Funny. Coincidentally, my mother came over last weekend for Cohen's Hallelujah because she heard it on some CSI show or something. She always figure I have every CD or LP ever and is constently coming over to see if I have something she heard on TV. In her eyes I have a huge collection, in reality it's modest. But I said, "Oh, you don't want Cohen, you want Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley." Unfortunately, I didn't have either, but she picked up both at the record store and says she's been in heaven since.

3-LockBox
04-06-2006, 12:31 PM
I liked Grace when it came out...well, parts of it. He had a real eclectic taste in music and it showed in his song selection. I thought his voice was killer, his passion was unquestionable. But yeah, some of the songs from Grace are head scratchers. The mix might seem diverse to some, but it lacks cohesion to me.

'Last Goodbye' is still one of the top10 songs from the '90s, IMHO.

Of course his untimely death has something to do with his now iconic status. His death was accidental and not a suicide, so it adds a greater depth to his loss for some people. Don't get me wrong, his death was/is a tragedy, but his album Grace didn't take off until after he died.

Its the same way James Dean and Marilyn Monroe were made into pulp heros and pop icons, when in reallity, they were just moderatly talented actors at best.

ForeverAutumn
04-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Funny. Coincidentally, my mother came over last weekend for Cohen's Hallelujah because she heard it on some CSI show or something. She always figure I have every CD or LP ever and is constently coming over to see if I have something she heard on TV. In her eyes I have a huge collection, in reality it's modest. But I said, "Oh, you don't want Cohen, you want Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley." Unfortunately, I didn't have either, but she picked up both at the record store and says she's been in heaven since.

If your Mom wants to hear a moving rendition of this song then she should pick up the kd lang CD that I mention in my opening post. It's breathtaking.

Troy
04-06-2006, 03:50 PM
BTW, I wonder if the administration has noticed that this color scheme makes parts of the archive really hard to read?

Yow! How about IMPOSSIBLE to read?

I really like the title track and "Last Goodbye" off'n that disc. Great stuff, lots of emotion and tension. The rest? Meh. I wasn't impressed by it. Very traditional when you get right down to it considering all the claims of originality.

Swish
04-06-2006, 04:37 PM
...but have you heard his dad's music? Tim was quite the folkie back in the day, and if you see their pictures side-by-side, they look almost identical. Their voices sound similar too, although that's where the comparisons end as their music is quite the opposite.

Swish

Mike
04-07-2006, 01:40 AM
castrati

Ouch!

I'm with Dave and Troy, it's a good album but highly over rated which of course was helped by his tragic demise. My original version went astray so I picked up a really cheap 10 year anniversary edition with extra tracks and a bonus DVD

Cheers
Mike

np Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops, their first left me cold after a while too many pounding drums but this, although similar, is excellent.

Also Calexico - Garden Ruin, I don't much of their back catalogue but this seems a major change of pace and sound for them, I like it, features a nice bonus DVD too.

Davey
04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
As a workaround until they fix it, you could just select all the text -- that makes it a little easier to read.
Thanks!

I guess they don't call you master of the obvious for nothing, eh?

;)

Swish
04-08-2006, 07:01 AM
DLD hasn't been around these parts for a long time...and neither has dbi. I gotta lay off the booze.

Swish :crazy:

dbi
04-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Where did DLD come from? I meant "dbi". DLD hasn't been around these parts for a long time...and neither has dbi. I gotta lay off the booze.

Swish :crazy:
Frivolous filler content: Yeah, those fruity wine coolers can really sneak up on ya, eh Swish Baby? But truth be told, not hardly anyone's been around these parts in a long time.

Hearty music content: So have you heard the new Steve Wynn yet? I sent old ''toze a copy during that silly mystery comp thing I did, but I suspect it may have fallen on deaf ears (or into a round can) since all he listens to anymore is that Willie Nile tribute to Bob Dylan*. Maybe you can talk him into a forward job.

*jk abut the wn, he's one of the good guys

Swish
04-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Frivolous filler content: Yeah, those fruity wine coolers can really sneak up on ya, eh Swish Baby? But truth be told, not hardly anyone's been around these parts in a long time.

Hearty music content: So have you heard the new Steve Wynn yet? I sent old ''toze a copy during that silly mystery comp thing I did, but I suspect it may have fallen on deaf ears (or into a round can) since all he listens to anymore is that Willie Nile tribute to Bob Dylan*. Maybe you can talk him into a forward job.

*jk abut the wn, he's one of the good guys

my best bud Bob has it, so you know I'll be hearing it soon. I just burned that new Snow Patrol from the MP3s another friend e-mailed to me, and I'm digging that for sure. I guess you're not a fan, eh? I thought their last one was excellent and I just got the DVD.

Swish

Gotta get that WN too!

dbi
04-08-2006, 12:58 PM
I just burned that new Snow Patrol from the MP3s another friend e-mailed to me, and I'm digging that for sure. I guess you're not a fan, eh? I thought their last one was excellent and I just got the DVD.
They're OK, but no, not really a fan. Pretty popular though, so I'm obviously missing some of the goodness you all hear. Not the first time and surely not the last ;)

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=62924#post62924