Sub in closet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub in closet?

phillyguy
01-25-2004, 05:39 AM
We have a closet which backs up to our family room and happens to be to the immediate right of the closet we intend to use for our home theater setup. The previous owner had actually knocked a hole from the closet (at the floor) into the family room and placed a 12" full range speaker in it. My thoughts are to frame out a slightly larger opening in the wall, and place a foward firing sub (in its own cabinet) in the closet facing out. The family room is oddly shaped, and if this would work, would help greatly with the floor space. The only drawbacks I can see from layout is that a tower speaker may sit partially in front of the sub and that it will be a pain to adjust the sub. But at least the sub would not near a corner of the family room if I put it in this location.

Does this sound like it would work? Would the sub be boomy if built into a closet, even though it is forward firing? Any other drawbacks? Any feedback would be appreciated!

(BTW, I have not picked a sub or speaker system yet. Looking to spend $1600 to $1800 for a 5.1 system. Right now it looks like I will build around either Kef Q'5s or Energy C5's w/ associated center and rears.)

markw
01-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Use a totally sealed sub in a box or one with a front firing port as well. ...no bottom firing units ...no passive radiators on the bottom ...no rear/side/floor ports.

Have the face flush with the listening room wall, not recessed.

You're right.. adjustments will be a b*t*h, but with a good friend and a sixpack, nothing is impossible.

enjoy...

phillyguy
01-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Use a totally sealed sub in a box or one with a front firing port as well. ...no bottom firing units ...no passive radiators on the bottom ...no rear/side/floor ports.

Have the face flush with the listening room wall, not recessed.

You're right.. adjustments will be a b*t*h, but with a good friend and a sixpack, nothing is impossible.

enjoy...

Thanks Mark. I was figuring that if the sub was sealed or had front firing ports I would be OK. Just wanted to check. Upon reflection, I figure once I set SPL's with a meter and adjust the volume and phase on the sub I should be set. I can always fine tune the level and crossover on the receiver if I want to tweak it for music or movies. See any problem with a tower sitting partially in front of it? As another plus, my wife gave her blessing for the installation.

markw
01-26-2004, 06:32 PM
See any problem with a tower sitting partially in front of it?

Not a problem. Unlike mids and highs, bass frequencies are non-directional and don't get too preturbed by some obstacles in their way.