How would JBL N24II’s work as satellites in a 7.1 system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How would JBL N24II’s work as satellites in a 7.1 system?

Chicago guy
01-24-2004, 09:37 PM
I’m new to A/V, but have done some research. The HT plan is for the following:

Yamaha 1400 Receiver
Pioneer 562A Universal DVD
Technics SL-PG4 CD player to compensate for weak regular CD playback on Pioneer
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 mains
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 center
4 JBL N24II satellites
Yamaha YST-SW315 sub

These will be combined with a Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY 42” plasma within a total budget of ~$7,000, including good cabling, speaker stands, universal remote, etc.

I’m confident in the quality of all but the last two items in the HT list. The sub has to be a budget item $150 to $250. The satellites must be physically very small and hung from ceiling, since there is no room for them otherwise & wife wouldn’t allow 4 mini-monitor size satellites, even if there was room. However frequency response must reach down low enough to allow a single sub crossover point satisfactory to mains as well as satellites. The JBL’s, although small, have a frequency response of 75hz to 20khz +/- 3db. The mains are 74hz to 20khz +/- 2db.

The JBL’s will cost about $300 for 4 speakers. Any suggestions?

Chicago guy
01-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Equipment correction:

The universal DVD is a Pioneer 563A.

F1
01-25-2004, 05:49 AM
I would skip Technics CD player, JBL surround, Yamaha Sub, universal remote.
Reasons:
CD playback on current DVD player is very good; don't underestimate. I would opt for 5.1 for the time being and get more matching surround with fronts (HTM-200 for surround), unless it is too big for you. I'm not sure about the Yamaha sub, but I'm very happy with Hsu VTF-2. You can skip dedicated universal remote as the remote that comes with Yamaha 1400 is learning remote.

As for good cabling, you can get away with cheap generic 12-14 AWG speaker cable and Radio Shack interconnects, and still get very good performance.
Good luck

Chicago guy
01-25-2004, 06:42 AM
I'll look into HSU sub - but don't want 5.1 want 7.1 and I believe the satellite you mentioned is too big to hang from ceiling. When I said good cabling I meant thicker cable, not overly-thin RCA, but not expensive Monster either.

CaymanCroc
01-29-2004, 05:00 AM
I’m new to A/V, but have done some research. The HT plan is for the following:

Yamaha 1400 Receiver
Pioneer 562A Universal DVD
Technics SL-PG4 CD player to compensate for weak regular CD playback on Pioneer
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 mains
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 center
4 JBL N24II satellites
Yamaha YST-SW315 sub

These will be combined with a Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY 42” plasma within a total budget of ~$7,000, including good cabling, speaker stands, universal remote, etc.

I’m confident in the quality of all but the last two items in the HT list. The sub has to be a budget item $150 to $250. The satellites must be physically very small and hung from ceiling, since there is no room for them otherwise & wife wouldn’t allow 4 mini-monitor size satellites, even if there was room. However frequency response must reach down low enough to allow a single sub crossover point satisfactory to mains as well as satellites. The JBL’s, although small, have a frequency response of 75hz to 20khz +/- 3db. The mains are 74hz to 20khz +/- 2db.

The JBL’s will cost about $300 for 4 speakers. Any suggestions?

You could instead try JBL S36 Satellites (im not sure about the price, theyre more than the N24s for sure).

But Ive gotta say, I have the N24s as surrounds and they do the job pretty well too!!

Cheers!

CaymanCroc
01-29-2004, 05:06 AM
Just a thought, you could try the HK DVD25 progressive scan DVD player.... itll do the job of playing CDs pretty well too... I know earlier models of HK DVD players had Burr Brown DACs .... not sure about the new Progressive Scan one... maybe its worth a look.