Return Of The Son Of The Tuesday Thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Return Of The Son Of The Tuesday Thread

BradH
04-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Oh, you know you want it.

Grateful Dead - Infrared Roses - o.o.p. cd from Grateful Dead Records. Edited together from the spacier sections of Dead gigs. Lots of percussion and spaced out guitars, sounding for all the world like free form King Crimson (only better) and other places in that area.
Kraftwerk - Autobahn - supposedly a cdr of the upcoming remaster
The Who - The Tommy Demos
Allman Brothers - Idlewild South
Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach (MoFi gold)
Neil Young - Tonight's The Night
The Who -Who's Missing (MCA/Hoffman)
The Beatles - Casualties (Ebbetts' unreleased Capitol)
Thunderclap Newman - Hollywood Dreams
Traffic - Boston Music Hall, Oct 14 1971 (audience)

My pick of the week: Thunderclap Newman

"Something In The Air" burned up the charts in 1969. The followup lp died a silent death in 1970. Too bad. It sounds like a missing Pete Townshend solo classic that landed somewhere between mellow Roxy Music and hyper Procol Harum, yet it remains distinctly their own. And yeah, that kid does play the guitar. Another overlooked gem.

nobody
04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Here's a few things...

<b>Prince: 3121</b>
The new Prince is very good, perhaps better overall than Musicology, although I wasn't as immediately taken by any of the tracks as I was by Cinimon Girl off that one. Still, continued quality from the man, mixing his usual funk/rock with some more modern electro sounds.

<b>William Orbit:Hello Waveforms</b>
If you want some beautifully produced, lazy electronic music to lay back to, grab this right away. If you're looking for what that guy who did theat Madonna album is up to...don't bother, because it's not gonna be what you want. I like it.

<b>Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited</b>
Hadn't played this in ages. Its my favorite from a true master. Like A Rolling Stone is one of the few classic rock staples that I can still stand to listen to and Ballad of A Thin Man is probably the best Dylan track not to get played to death.

<b>The Alarm</b>
Their self-titled 5 song EP. All these songs showed up on declaration, but the versions here are a bit faster and more energetic. Another old favorite I visited after the Dlyan and remembering seeing them open for him.

<b>The Ramones: Rocket to Russia</b>
My favorite Ramones album. Don't know what else to say.

<b>Bad Brains</b>
Self-titled debut. If there's ever been a band who combined hardcore punk with reggae besides Bad Brains...and actually been good at playing both, I'd like to hear who. Much more raw than their breakthrough I Against I, but the one I still play...and still get frustrarted deciding whether I like Pay to Cum or I Luv I Jah better. I was really glad when they released this on vinyl as my cassette had broken years back and I was without.

Bunch of other stuff lately, but that's enough babbling for now.

Mike
04-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Natalie Merchant - Retrospective, a really nice 2 CD comp
Mogwai - Mr Beast
Kepler - Attic Salt
Ian Love - Ian Love
Voyager One - Dissolver, still liking this
Morning Runner - Wilderness is Paradise Now
Teddy Thompson - Separate Ways
Lou Rhodes - Beloved One

And some music DVD's - I was laid up ill last week for a few days so what else to do.
Rolling Stones - Rock and Roll Circus, a strange one off show from 1968 but features The Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithful, John Lennon and Brian Jones looking totally spaced out. It's vintage period stuff, so outdated it's kitsch.

Blue Man Group - Complex Tour, talk of them the other week made me dig this out.

Richard Thompson - Live in Providence

Cheers
Mike

Mr MidFi
04-05-2006, 05:39 AM
I listened to a lot of interesting stuff this week, but mostly stuff that has been discussed to death here (Andrew Bird, Interpol, etc.).

Pick of the Week
A few nights ago, I picked up Stars Die, the 2-CD retrospective of Porky Tree's work on the Delerium label, and I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop since. Some extremely trippy shiat here, I must say. Voyage 34 and Up the Downstair will do some things to your head. And Fadeaway is now one of my favorite PT tracks. And 2 loaded discs for $17 seems a pretty good deal, especially since I only had 2-1/2 of the 21 tracks already. Thumb's up, so far.

Along with In Absentia and Deadwing, plus that outstanding "best of" comp by Jar, I think I now have enough Tree to last me a while.

Dusty Chalk
04-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Mr. Beast by Mogwai -- really dig that last track
Embryonics by Alchemist
some old God Module and ApopB.
Ephel Duath, Pain Necessary to Know -- proggy metal with roared vox and the occasional diversion -- excellent use of twisted musicbox on the one track. I think I still like Painter's Palette better, though.

Kraftwerk remaster? I'll be getting that.

I've been meaning to pick up that William Orbit -- I've been a fan of his since his Torch Song days, "Prepare to Energize", etc. I even have that Madonna album because of him (underwhelmed).

Stone
04-05-2006, 07:34 AM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drh200/h259/h25953gux2w.jpg
Liars - Drum's Not Dead

This is not what I expected at all. These guys have definitely expanded their sound since their inception. I've only spun this twice, and haven't come close to wrapping my brain around the music, let alone around the concept of the album. Most of this is pretty stripped-down post-rock kind of stuff, with the drums often featured. This is definitely in the queue for repeated listens.

BradH
04-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Kraftwerk remaster? I'll be getting that.

So will I. This cdr has a few digital snaps.

The whole catalogue is being remastered under the name Catalogue Remasters. (Catchy innit?) They were supposed to be out last fall but there was some kind of delay.

Autobahn....you just can't turn it up loud enough.

Dusty Chalk
04-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Hot dog.

Slosh
04-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Hey you Kraftwerk fans, whatcha think of this for a relative newbie?
http://www.astralwerks.com/kraftwerk/
It's got a DTS mix . . .

While I'm here . . .
Wille Nile - Streets of New York (thanks for ysi-ing this, Mr. Toze)
Loose Fur - Born Again In The USA
Grandaddy - Under The Western Freeway
Voyager One - Dissolver (meh)
Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon (for about the 100th time)
Deftones - Adrenaline
Melvins - Houdini
Spoon - A Series Of Sneaks
Toadies - Rubberneck
NIN - The Downward Spiral (man, it's been ages)
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

I forget what else. Lots of random music library play on the PC via the SoundBridge (best stereo source component ever!! :) )

nobody
04-05-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm sure there are more knowledgeable Kraftwerk fans around here than me, but personally, I think that's a great collection. For a live album, the sound is absolutely astounding with minimal crowd noise and the song selection is great. They change the tunes up a bit, but nothing too drastic in most cases. It's a really great career overview, and while in most cases I'd never recommend a concert set for someone just wanting to try a band out, this may be a rare exception. Besides being solid versions of all their hits, if you do go on to be a bigger fan and want more, being a live disc, it will never really become surplus as hits collections often can.

If you want individual album, hard to go wrong starting with Autobahn...or if you're looking for something a bit more song structured, there's always Man Machine.

Mike
04-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Hey you Kraftwerk fans, whatcha think of this for a relative newbie?
http://www.astralwerks.com/kraftwerk/
It's got a DTS mix . . .

I've got the standard 2 CD version and it's a great set, like Nobody says little crowd noise and outstanding recordings from different venues in Europe all blended together. I usually don't go for live albums either but this is a good un'. The versions of all the hits are slightly updated from the album tracks, but better for it IMO. I would imagine the DVD would be even better .

My pick from their back catalogue would be Computer World.

Cheers
Mike

Dusty Chalk
04-06-2006, 05:20 AM
I'm sure there are more knowledgeable Kraftwerk fans around here than me, but personally, I think that's a great collection. I may or not be more knowledgeable than you, but it's still a great collection. I've heard that the fidelity is excellent for a live recording, the selection of tracks is a nice introduction to their more famous "techno-y" side, and if you've never seen Kraftwerk live, it's a fun view.

Davey
04-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Voyager One - Dissolver (for about the 100th time)
Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon (meh)
:thumbsup:

Still 1995 at my place, and still the bunny gets paid ...

low flying jets skim your bed
temptation loses you again
halo blackhands plantains

woven in your blanket
low cold silicone to rest your weary on
friction landing st. ides

chain chain chain... chain chain chain...