Thiele/Small [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thiele/Small

audio amateur
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
I ordered a 12 inch sony XS-L122P5S car subwoofer (due to money restrictions), which is an alternative to the model I had previously ordered but which I cancelled. Sony recommends a 0.82CF enclosure if using a port. I am guessing they recommend this small size because they are taking into account in-car gain. I'd like to know what sort ofvolume/port length (or box tuning frequency) is recommended for this sub (for in-home use), in accordance with its T/S paremeters which are as follows:

Power rating: 380Watts RMS
freq. responce: 18-2000Hz
Sensitivity: 89dB/W/m
Impédance (ohm) 4 (single voice coil)
d (mm) 250.0
d (inches) 9.8
Rdc (ohms) 3.3
Fs (Hz) 24.8
Qts 0.37
Qes 0.39
Qms 7.02
Vas (liters) 86.7
Vas (cubic meters) 3.06
Mms (g) 162.1
Lvc (mH) 1.1
Xmax (mm) 5.7
Xmax (inches) 0.2
BL (Tm) 14.1

If anyone could do this for me I would be hugely grateful. BTW I am planning on using a 4 inch diameter port.

46minaudio
04-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I ordered a 12 inch sony XS-L122P5S car subwoofer (due to money restrictions), which is an alternative to the model I had previously ordered but which I cancelled. Sony recommends a 0.82CF enclosure if using a port. I am guessing they recommend this small size because they are taking into account in-car gain. I'd like to know what sort ofvolume/port length (or box tuning frequency) is recommended for this sub (for in-home use), in accordance with its T/S paremeters which are as follows:

Power rating: 380Watts RMS
freq. responce: 18-2000Hz
Sensitivity: 89dB/W/m
Impédance (ohm) 4 (single voice coil)
d (mm) 250.0
d (inches) 9.8
Rdc (ohms) 3.3
Fs (Hz) 24.8
Qts 0.37
Qes 0.39
Qms 7.02
Vas (liters) 86.7
Vas (cubic meters) 3.06
Mms (g) 162.1
Lvc (mH) 1.1
Xmax (mm) 5.7
Xmax (inches) 0.2
BL (Tm) 14.1

If anyone could do this for me I would be hugely grateful. BTW I am planning on using a 4 inch diameter port.

.582 in a closed box.Should give you a f3 of 53 HZ.Inroom will be better.Vented looks ugly with that driver.Vent lenth is way to long..

9ball
04-05-2006, 06:29 AM
I'd suggest downloading a box design program like WinISD and playing around with the numbers. .82CF with a port (nothing about the port) really isn't enough information to go by because different volumes combined with different port lengths will yield differences in tuning and gain. Personally, I like a box tuning of about 40Hz, and since I don't have WinISD here at work (government computer) I can't plug those numbers in and see what dimensions and port length that would take.

audio amateur
04-05-2006, 06:46 AM
.582 in a closed box.Should give you a f3 of 53 HZ.Inroom will be better.Vented looks ugly with that driver.Vent lenth is way to long..

I heard this sub doesn't sound very good in sealed enclosures... Isn't 0.582CF pretty darn small for such a sub? I was thinking it would need a bigger box if used in a home...

Obviously I would need a huge long port in a small enclosure to get a decently low tuning freq. especially if I am using a 4inch port.

For my part I have actually used two software prgrams for this, but I am not very experienced with them. I got the same result with one of the two (0.582CF), but I got 1.8CF with the other. strange. As for vented boxes, I got about 1.1CF with the first and 3.4CF with the other. One 27Hz (tuning freq.) and 25 Hz with the second. Any explanations to this difference?

I wouldn't mind using a sealed box as long as I can get decent output and for this I believe I need a big box. Confusing...

Can someone try to get legitimate results for this sub, for sealed and vented boxes? (not that the one you found 46minaudio isn't). thanx.

46minaudio
04-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I heard this sub doesn't sound very good in sealed enclosures... Isn't 0.582CF pretty darn small for such a sub? I was thinking it would need a bigger box if used in a home...

Obviously I would need a huge long port in a small enclosure to get a decently low tuning freq. especially if I am using a 4inch port.

For my part I have actually used two software prgrams for this, but I am not very experienced with them. I got the same result with one of the two (0.582CF), but I got 1.8CF with the other. strange. As for vented boxes, I got about 1.1CF with the first and 3.4CF with the other. One 27Hz (tuning freq.) and 25 Hz with the second. Any explanations to this difference?

I wouldn't mind using a sealed box as long as I can get decent output and for this I believe I need a big box. Confusing...

Can someone try to get legitimate results for this sub, for sealed and vented boxes? (not that the one you found 46minaudio isn't). thanx.
Shoot me a pm with an email address.When I get home tonight I will send you some Graphs with different size options,and tuning with port length.I did not play much with it last night..

audio amateur
04-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Shoot me a pm with an email address.When I get home tonight I will send you some Graphs with different size options,and tuning with port length.I did not play much with it last night..

Thanks a bunch!
email: stephenfrr@yahoo.co.uk

audio amateur
04-07-2006, 08:37 AM
BTW i'm still waiting 46minaudio. I'm not in a hurry just wanted to remind you :)

46minaudio
04-08-2006, 06:19 AM
BTW i'm still waiting 46minaudio. I'm not in a hurry just wanted to remind you :)
Just sent ya 2 boxes to look at.