Nad T753 vs Yamaha RXV1600 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nad T753 vs Yamaha RXV1600

giofer69
04-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into upgrading my A/V receiver, I currently have a Yamaha RXV-1300. I took two receivers home during the weekend (RXV-1600 and NAD T53) to listen to see which I prefer. I'm finding that I listen to music 80% of the times while 20 for HT. I've had Yamaha receivers since starting the HT hobby in 1998. After listening to both I found the NAD a lot better on the music side (i.e. warmer) than the Yamaha while the HT was the same, also the NAD is much easier to set up than the Yammie. Durability, Yamaha wins hands down being a fan for a while. I used to own a NAD receiver long time ago, don't remember the model and again it comes back to NAD sounding much better on the audio side than other receivers.
After reading a lot of reviews on this forum about quality issues with NAD on this forum, I'm stumped. I would like opinions from people especially from the vets (i.e Kex, Wooch, N. Ab, Pat P etc.

My system consists of: Rec: RXV-1300, DVD: Yamaha DVDS700, Mains: Mirage OM-12, Centre: OMC-3, Rears: OMR2s. No sub (not a fan of heavy bass, the speakers provide enough). I've noticed my speakers are not cutting it either, the omnipolar or omniguide is unique for HT but for music (another story). I brought home a pair of PSB images and Revel (concerta series) to test also. Opinions also on speakers would be great. Mirage is not discussed that often on this forum.

Thanks.

kexodusc
04-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into upgrading my A/V receiver, I currently have a Yamaha RXV-1300. I took two receivers home during the weekend (RXV-1600 and NAD T53) to listen to see which I prefer. I'm finding that I listen to music 80% of the times while 20 for HT. I've had Yamaha receivers since starting the HT hobby in 1998. After listening to both I found the NAD a lot better on the music side (i.e. warmer) than the Yamaha while the HT was the same, also the NAD is much easier to set up than the Yammie. Durability, Yamaha wins hands down being a fan for a while. I used to own a NAD receiver long time ago, don't remember the model and again it comes back to NAD sounding much better on the audio side than other receivers.
After reading a lot of reviews on this forum about quality issues with NAD on this forum, I'm stumped. I would like opinions from people especially from the vets (i.e Kex, Wooch, N. Ab, Pat P etc.

My system consists of: Rec: RXV-1300, DVD: Yamaha DVDS700, Mains: Mirage OM-12, Centre: OMC-3, Rears: OMR2s. No sub (not a fan of heavy bass, the speakers provide enough). I've noticed my speakers are not cutting it either, the omnipolar or omniguide is unique for HT but for music (another story). I brought home a pair of PSB images and Revel (concerta series) to test also. Opinions also on speakers would be great. Mirage is not discussed that often on this forum.

Thanks.
Back when I was shopping for my RX-V1400, I looked at the NAD T752. Personally, I found the NAD to sound a bit better for music as well. However, I found the Yamaha to have far more useful features for home theater purposes, and it was much cheaper, so I went that route. And the Yammie was by no means bad for music, just not quite as nice as the NAD. I tend to like things on the bright side, I'm told, and the Yamaha doesn't bother me at all (in fact, the recent models are very neutral sounding, unlike my older RX-V795a)

If you like the NAD, go with that. I'd recommend trying to find Arcam's 2 receiver models to give them a test as well...the best I've heard under $1500. And also Rotel, who's making good receivers at that pricepoint as well.

Before you do any of that though, you must decide on your speakers setup. Your speakers will contribute the most to the sound you hear, I'd argue as much as all the other components put together. You might be better off starting a new thread in the speaker forum for that. I'm sure you'll get many suggestions...Speakers first, then receiver...always!

Edit: To tell you the truth, you're not going to get much of an upgrade over the RX-V1300 at the pricepoint you're considering. Perhaps you'd be better off with a complete second "music only" 2-channel system? Are you considering selling your existing speakers/receiver to help fund potential replacements?

giofer69
04-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Kex,

Thanks for the reply. You bring up a good point about getting a second system strictly for audio. The audio store where I buy my equipment made the same suggestion about an independent system for audio. Unfortunately, cost comes into play. If I did change my above configuration I would be selling my receiver/speakers to satisfy my tastes. I'm more of a music lover than HT and it seems that the 80% grows as the years pass. Also, trying to keep up to date with the latest is getting hard to do. I read everything people post here and I'm amazed at the dedication demonstrated here on the forum. There is a dealer who sells Rotel, I will try to pop by to test his receivers. Which models should I look at for my pricepoint? As for speakers I will post under speakers, again will probably sell if I change my setup.

Thanks again.

kexodusc
04-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Kex,

Thanks for the reply. You bring up a good point about getting a second system strictly for audio. The audio store where I buy my equipment made the same suggestion about an independent system for audio. Unfortunately, cost comes into play. If I did change my above configuration I would be selling my receiver/speakers to satisfy my tastes. I'm more of a music lover than HT and it seems that the 80% grows as the years pass. Also, trying to keep up to date with the latest is getting hard to do. I read everything people post here and I'm amazed at the dedication demonstrated here on the forum. There is a dealer who sells Rotel, I will try to pop by to test his receivers. Which models should I look at for my pricepoint? As for speakers I will post under speakers, again will probably sell if I change my setup.

Thanks again.

The RSX-1057 is a great sounding budget unit, definitely a step up on the below $1000 avr's. It uses the same componentry found in other Rotel amps/pre-amps. I think they list around $1200-$1300, but I've seen a few people report purchase prices around $1000.

You might also consider Outlaw audio...some people think very highly of their receivers and pre-pros. They have a 1070 avr that gets high praise, and a couple of pre-amp/processors that I would expect to sound a bit better than the Yamaha.
You'll need to find amplificiation if you go that route however, a higher quality receiver might be in order.

I still think you should decide on your total budget, and then look at some speakers. Changing amps can only do so much. Hopefully you get some good ideas from the members here.