speakers for JoLida JD1701 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speakers for JoLida JD1701

groovastic
04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi!
I'm new here..

I'm about to get this beautiful JoLida and I was thinking to get Dynaudio Audience 62 or maybe even 72 for it, but I decided to try to find something that would fit my needs even better.
I realy love sound of an upright bass on Dynaudio, but when it comes to vocals (I have heared only the 62) it's not that good. Yet, electric bass in R'n'B, Funk and Soul seems to lack something with those Dynaudios.
So, do you have any suggestions what speakers I should test with a JoLida to get the best combination for acoustic jazz like Diana Krall, Ella, Louis, Miles, Ray Brown (and if it's possible, I'd like the sound of an upright bass to be at least close to Dynaudio's), and for music like Erykah Badu, Me'shell NdegeOcello, Marvin Gaye, Stevie, Prince, Funkdadelic, Herbie Hancock....

Oh, if those speakers could be in the same price range as mentioned Dynaudios.

Thanks

drseid
04-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Are you set on buying floorstanders? In the $1200-$1600 range there are some tremendous bookshelf speakers available... Also, are you only looking for new gear (or is used OK)?
Finally, what size is your room?

I am sure once you provide this data someone can make some good suggestions.

Thanks,

---Dave

groovastic
04-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Are you set on buying floorstanders? In the $1200-$1600 range there are some tremendous bookshelf speakers available... Also, are you only looking for new gear (or is used OK)?
Finally, what size is your room?

I am sure once you provide this data someone can make some good suggestions.

Thanks,

---Dave

I don't realy belive in bookshelf speakers. And I would like to have some new speakers.

Regarding room size, I don't hav a room yet, since I'm about to move in with my girlfriend to a new appartment.

drseid
04-04-2006, 01:30 AM
I don't realy belive in bookshelf speakers. And I would like to have some new speakers.

Regarding room size, I don't hav a room yet, since I'm about to move in with my girlfriend to a new appartment.

Sorry, it is difficult to help you, as I really have not found any new floorstanders at your price point that I can recommend without some reservations (as every one I have heard to date has had significant limitations/compromises). Maybe the Tyler F-3 floorstanders would suit your needs... http://www.tyleracoustics.com/freedom.html as they offer very good bang for the buck at your price point. Tyler and Jolida both demo together at CES each year in Las Vegas, BTW. I own both brands, but use them in different systems... When I heard the Jolida/Tyler combo at CES I felt CODA matched with Tyler even better (they also demo with them, but the Tyler/Jolida combo worked well too, especially if you are into tubes).

http://www.tyleracoustics.com/Images/speakers/Freedom/F3LG.jpg

The only "problem" is it appears you live overseas (although I have no idea where you are moving to)... As these speakers are built to order in the US, customs and shipping costs could be rather substantial.

I would definitely recommend reconsidering the requirement for new speakers if you are looking at floorstanders at your price point... used you can find several good ones, new, it is tough IMO. Good luck though...

---Dave

matt39
04-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Hi Groovastic and welcome to AR. I have a couple of suggestions which should match up pretty well with your Jolida. First, the Boston Acoustics VR1,2 or 3. These are nice sounding affordable floorstanders which are quite efficient. BA lists two Croatian distributors on their website so you should be able to check them out. Second, the Monitor Audio Bronze B4 and B6. Also available in Europe and, according to reviews, fine sounding speakers. Personally I have heard the Bostons but not the Monitors. However this does give you a couple possibilities that are available locally to you that have somewhat different sounds. Even if you don't pick one of these, you'll have a better idea of what you are looking for. You know another possibility that occurred to me that you might check out are Triangle speakers from France. Their Trente model is well regarded here and might also be available to you. Hope this helps you get a start on looking for some speakers and that you find something enjoyable.
Gary

groovastic
04-04-2006, 01:42 PM
thanks guys.
but Tyler would come out as very expensive if we count the shipping, and those BA VR and Monitor Audio Bronze seem to be in a bit lower range than I am shooting for.
I'll be thankful for any other inputs