Suggestions for new receiver/speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for new receiver/speakers

jc_ufl
04-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I am finally able to upgrade my old system for the first time in 4 years. I am planning on buying a new receiver and new speakers. I have a specific budget of $1300-1400 for the receiver and speakers. I would like to build a 5.1 or 6.1 system with the best sound that fits that budget. Can anyone give me suggestions on the best reciever and/or speaker set that fits my criteria? Thanks ahead of time for anyone that can help.

patpong
04-02-2006, 07:54 PM
If you main listening is movie.....then, a 5.1 or 6.1 reciever or any 8 Ohm, easy to run, speakers could do. But, if the music is what you want, it's a good idea to look into good used high-end equipments. They are not bad. A good used is as good as brand new and the sound is just as great.... much better than brand new reciever for sure.

L.J.
04-03-2006, 06:42 AM
I am finally able to upgrade my old system for the first time in 4 years. I am planning on buying a new receiver and new speakers. I have a specific budget of $1300-1400 for the receiver and speakers. I would like to build a 5.1 or 6.1 system with the best sound that fits that budget. Can anyone give me suggestions on the best reciever and/or speaker set that fits my criteria? Thanks ahead of time for anyone that can help.

Build slowly. You'll see that $1400 won't go too far. Especially if your trying to acheive a 6.1 system. Start off with 2 nice bookshelves and a decent AVR and go from there. You can add a center, surrounds and sub later. But since you have an existing system, you can always use the speakers from there to fill in the gaps.

Check out the speakers forum for plenty of suggestion. Find the "Best Bang for the Buck Speakers" thread for great suggestions on brands to look at. Then go out and start auditioning. By building slowly, you'll end up with a better system in the long run.

As far as AVR's go, look into Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz or Pioneer. You should be able to find something decent in the $400 range.

GMichael
04-03-2006, 07:27 AM

I think Pat has a very good point. You should think about what you want out of your new system the most, before you invest in anything. What will you be using it for? More music or more for home theater, or maybe 50/50. Once you decide on what means the most to you then you can focus on a system that will make you the happiest.
There are hundreds of good choices on speakers and receivers. The speakers make up the biggest difference in sound quality. But, one person's best is another's worst. Everyone hears things differently.
I know that it seems like we are making things more difficult for you. But a little extra planning now could save you money down the road when you find that you really liked something else better.

Florian
04-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Wow do i get a following now? Neat!

Well the guys are right and here are some wonderfull used Receivers for 5.1 that i had and loved.

Onkyo Integra TX-DS939
Marantz SR7200
Harman Kardon AVR7000

Check these out too if you can, wonderfull sound with plenty of options.

Have fun!

PS: For Home Theater Speakers i can recommend the Onkyo THX SYS1 and 2 if you find them.

jc_ufl
04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I plan to use it mainly for movies. I am not sure if my old speakers will work out with a newer system. I bought one of those 300 dollar sony HT systems at best buy when I was entering college. They were great for the time being and were only used in a small room.

Now I have a larger living room to set up and I am moving to a 1 BR apartment. Either way, I think you have a point about starting slowly and working your way up. I was looking at a Yamaha and Onkyo reciever for around 400. I figure that leaves $1000 for speakers. Is there a 5.1 pakage deal that can fit that price range? Or is it best to start with three speakers and work your way up.

Who makes the best speakers for movies and TV?

Florian
04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Well its a smart choice to start slowly. I'll let the other guys recommend speakers in the 1000$ price range because i honestly have no clue whats good in that range. I remember hearing some Definte Technologys in my beginning days that were quite good. Also the older Infinity Overture3 was quite good.

-Flo

GMichael
04-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I plan to use it mainly for movies. I am not sure if my old speakers will work out with a newer system. I bought one of those 300 dollar sony HT systems at best buy when I was entering college. They were great for the time being and were only used in a small room.

Now I have a larger living room to set up and I am moving to a 1 BR apartment. Either way, I think you have a point about starting slowly and working your way up. I was looking at a Yamaha and Onkyo reciever for around 400. I figure that leaves $1000 for speakers. Is there a 5.1 pakage deal that can fit that price range? Or is it best to start with three speakers and work your way up.

Who makes the best speakers for movies and TV?

Well, that Sony HTIB system will work great in your bedroom.
There are many good choices for HT receivers in your price range. And so many speakers that you'll get dizzy trying to decide. My advice is to listen to as many as you can before you buy. You really aren't spending enough to get what most here feel is a great system. But if you're used to that Sony then you're really gonna love what you'll end up with for $1400.
They Onkyo's, Yamaha's and also Denon's are good for HT in your price range and very dependable. I have a Yamaha and enjoy it very much. There are others to consider also. Harmon Kardon, Marantz and NAD also make good receivers. Most agree that these do a little better for music but they have had QC issues. Not that all of them have a problem, and they do always make good on their warrenties. But it chased me away from them. You have to decide what means the most to you.
Speakers? Oh my. Where to start? I like my Infinity's. But mine came to $2300. for all 7 & sub. Some like Polks or Klipcsh. Others hate them. I also like the KEF Q series but these cost more.
Is your $1400 budget going to be just a start or your end all budget? Once you find the brand speakers that sound the best to your ears you may want to do what LJ suggested. Get 3 or 5 bookshelves with a sub, and then save up more for the mains. You could then move 2 of the bookshelves to the rear and have 7.1 instead of 5.1.

L.J.
04-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Make sure you bring your favorite CD's and movies with you, when you audition. Something you're very familiar with.

Also, I would drop the 6.1 or 7.1 idea and concentrate on a high quality 5.1 system in the end. The money that you would use on that 6 or 7 speaker can get applied toward a better overall 5.1 system. Once you've finished a high quality 5.1 system, then would be a good time to consider surround back(s). If you have room for em.

jc_ufl
04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks a lot guys for your help! I decided to put togther a high quality 5.1 system for now and upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1 later. I have been looking at recievers and have narrowed it down to the Yamaha HTR-5850BL (and connect it as 5.1 until I can afford the extra speaker), the Yamaha HTR-5840BL (and connect as 5.1 as well) or an Onkyo.

Which brings me to a question...Can I hook up a 7.1 receiver as a 6.1 or 5.1 system? Will that effect its performance or sound?

As far as speakers go, I will take your advice and shop around trying to find the best ones for my price range. If possible, I may buy a really good front pair and center speaker and use two of my old sonys as surrounds until I can buy another pair of high quality surrounds.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I am new to the whole HT business, but eager to learn and play around with different set-ups and systems.

L.J.
04-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Which brings me to a question...Can I hook up a 7.1 receiver as a 6.1 or 5.1 system? Will that effect its performance or sound?

No problem. It'll play just fine.

As far as speakers go, I will take your advice and shop around trying to find the best ones for my price range. If possible, I may buy a really good front pair and center speaker and use two of my old sonys as surrounds until I can buy another pair of high quality surrounds.

Sounds like a plan! Have fun shopping and keep us posted! :cornut:

GMichael
04-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Enjoy the ride.

cleaneduphippy
05-10-2006, 04:56 AM
ju_ufl,

A 5.1 system in a one bedroom apartment? Your neighbors are going to be loving you. My suggestion before you go out spending your money on this system is see whether or not there is going to be some "sound bleed (especially bass)" into other resident's unit. If speakers are located on or near common walls, common floor/ceiling (i.e. your floor/neighbor's ceiling) then you WILL be having "sound bleed" issues, unless by chance the apartment you're renting is an older one with concrete flooring/cinder block interior walls between units or if it's a newer unit the walls and floor/ceilings have had some sort of treatment which acoustically isolates you from your neighbors Remember the first rule of apartment living is "your enjoyments ends when it become someone else's annoyance". Believe me "noise issues" arising from stereos and home theaters system are one of the biggest complaints that apartment managers get and when it happens the one causing the problem has to solve it. I know quite a few people who live in apartments/condos who have invested quite a bit of money into audio and HT equipment that don't get to fully enjoy it because of "sound bleed issues". Just something you need to keep in mind.

superpanavision70mm
05-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Don't worry about being in an apartment...I am still living in an apartment (for a few more weeks until I move to my new townhouse) and my neighbors thoroughly appreciate the walls shaking wiht great music!!!!!!!!! haha.

drgnfly
05-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey there jc_ufl ,

Seems like you and I are on the same boat looking for a system. Good luck...

KaiWinters
05-24-2006, 05:32 AM
In my opinion and opinions taken from other forums and threads on the subject the speakers should be your primary purchase. This is primarily because they have the biggest impact on the listening experience. They also can last for years and years, especially good ones. Their technology, while ever changing, does not change in the same fashion as the electronics portion seems to change.

That being said with a $1400 budget I would target $1000 for the speakers using the balance for a decent receiver. With HDMI technology, etc. trickling down you can replace it in 2 or 3 years and your speakers will still sound great.

I too would also start with a good pair of fronts. Here are a couple of suggestions. I am a big Paradigm fan and will use them as examples.
Higher end start: Paradigm Studio 20 (front speakers), audio store price around $769.00 per pair (at least that is what I can get them for in my area). Surrounds would be Paradigm Titans costing around $220.00 per pair or the smaller Atoms for $200.00 per pair. That will give you a very good sound system for both music and movies. As money accumulates add a 12 inch sub and a center channel.

More modest system with expandability: Paradigm Mini Monitors/fronts at $369.00 per pair, Paradigm Atoms for surround at $200.00 per pair, P. CC 170 for center at $189.00 per pair...total cost around $800.00...alternative is to leave out the center channel giving you $400.00 in which to buy a decent sub...Paradigm has a nice 10" and 12" that you may be able to get in that price range...dealer may be willing to give a good package price.

Add two more speakers for the 7.1 system in the future as money allows.

There are some other speaker manufacturers that offer similar speakers at similar prices. You should listen to what is around at your local shops and let your ears be the judge.

You will be happier overall with a slow system buildup with higher quality speakers than "settling" for a full package in the money range available. You will also have more money because if you do "settle" you will wind up replacing most if not all of your gear before you expected to. I went the "settle" route and have a lot of stuff in my basement...wasted money just sitting there.

Pioneer, Onkyo and Yamaha offer some good receivers in the $300 to $400 range.
I am more familiar with the Yamaha receiver owning the RX-V659. This is a recent purchase and I like it quite a bit but this model may push your budget over the top by $100. But in your price range there is some good equiptment.
Enjoy the experience and keep us informed.

Here are some links:
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/News/news2.html
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV459.htm
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209695979,00.html
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209691824,00.html
http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver

ralphmcw
06-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I had some similar questions about getting a buget system and after reading some reviews and suggestions from forums I went with the Athena Technologies Audition series for speakers and an onkyo reciever. I couldn't be happier! I ended up spending more than what you are planning to spend but that is because I went with mid range rather than entry level reciever. I would definatly recomened looking a Athena for low cost, great sounding speakers. You could probably a 5.1 speaker setup for around $1000 if you look for sales. From what I've heard the new pioneer receivers have great features and performance for the price. Might be worth a look.

The Tahitijack
06-16-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll add my vote for a 5.1 system using a $400 Yamaha reciever, $400 for Klipsch Quintet III sats (LF, Center, RF, LR & RR) and $500 for a Klipsch 10" sub or Velodyne sub. You can do some research and shop around to find more reasonably priced, quality used gear but form your messages I sence you want new audio and would like a plug and play package to minimize the chance of mismatched equipment. Spend some time visiting your local audio/video shops, ask questions and enjoy the search. Good luck!