Talking speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Talking speakers

Armando
04-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Dudes-
kay, dumb question, I know, But I need to find out real soon.
What are the differences (NOT technical) between box and planar speakers in terms of the way they sound? I've been told a hundred times, go out and listen to them and you'll know, but I want to know what you guys think is better and why for stuff like jazz, rock and bluegrass.....I want awesome midrange more than anything else.
Thanks guru dudes...:5:

emack27
04-14-2006, 04:13 PM
The technical term in describing the difference is that they have a larger soundstage.
In laymans terms lets say a cone speaker reproduces the sound of a cat's meow. The sound received by you to be would that of a 1ft. tall cat. The sound reproduced by a planar speaker, since the speaker has more surface area, would be that of a cat 4 ft. tall.

This is just my opion and I am not an expert by any means.

Florian
04-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Well the above "technical description" is severly lacking.

Hit me up on PM with a phone number and i can explain to you the difference. I wrote an article but i guess not many people read it.

On a short note, to me the difference is between music and noise!

JoeE SP9
04-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Dudes-
What are the differences (NOT technical) between box and planar speakers in terms of the way they sound? I've been told a hundred times, go out and listen to them and you'll know, but I want to know what you guys think is better and why for stuff like jazz, rock and bluegrass.....I want awesome midrange more than anything else.
Hi! Armando. As you can tell from my equipment list I am a planar owner. The reason I bought a pair of Magnepan MG-1's in 1976 was the midrange. I first heard them in an audio store in downtown Phila. I went in to see just what they were. It must have been the right time. There were two salesmen an audio store and me. They played a variety of music for me. I was immediately impressed with the clear midrange. Female vocalists sounded more there than I had ever heard before. The bass was rather anemic and the highs sounded severly rolled off. The salesmen explained that they had just got the line and this was the first time they had set any up. They explained that after a month of playing the diaphragms would stretch, the bass would deepen and the highs would smooth out and gain some extension. So here is this $500 a pair speaker (in 1976) with no highs even less bass and a promise they would sound better in a month. Even more, I had never heard of the company. The midrange was so seductive I bought them anyway. I have never regretted that decision. Every planar I've heard has a midrange "to die for". Ribbon tweeters have fixed the highs, bigger panels, design improvements, and better construction have solved the weak bass problem.
Sure, if you want headbanging volume look elsewhere. However, if voice is most important give panels a listen. IMHO, the midrange is where planars of any type leave boxes in the dust. That midrange is why I have never owned anything but planars of one type or another since 1976. I could get technical and write about moving mass, diaphragm size and other things. It's not necessary and not particularly important. Go somewhere and listen to a pair.
You have to hear planars to understand the impression of a window into the sound stage that gets louder or softer depending on the volume setting. The bigger the panel the bigger the window. Also, unlike most boxes planars do not sound different when the volume is changed. Above all, the midrange is "to die for".:cool:

superpanavision70mm
04-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Not everyone wants planar speakers...the reason is the bulk. I suppose some people have the room for 7ft speakers in their room and more power to them. However, box speakers are the more popular choice for their ability to blend into a room better and such. Sound-wise...well, this is a matter of sheer preference. Those that say box speakers suck...well, if that was the case why are box speakers outselling planars by such a large percent? Ok, because I guess the majority of box buyers are dumb? Hmm, well, than why are really great companies still producing box speakers? Why would someone pay $100,000 + for Gryphon Poseidon speakers if they could get better results with Planars from company so and so?

Once again it's a matter of absolute preference. There are great companies and great speakers in both categories...it should be up to the listener and that's the final word.

drseid
04-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Dudes-

Just like anything else, there are good and bad examples of both types. To say planers have better midrange (or worse for that matter) is overgeneralizing, IMO.

Bottom line is that you need to go out and listen to some of both and draw your own conclusions (I guess I will be the 101st person to tell you that)...

In my case, I preferred the sound of the box speakers I chose to the planers I heard. Others may have chosen to go the planer route... it really is a matter of personal preference (and the quality of the individuals speakers in question at a more micro-level than just "planers against box speakers").

---Dave