I need to go to 23K frequency? How? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need to go to 23K frequency? How?

supermanos
04-01-2006, 07:57 AM
I just got 2 pair of YAMAHA NS-AW350 outdoor speakers. They are for keeping dogs from pooping and digging up my vegetable garden.

I'm guessing I now need to get a cd or cd/dvd changer that will play the 23K hz frequency. Does anyone know of the cheapest reliable one, that I can put on repeat forever? I'm guessing I also need stereo wire and ? I've never hooked up anything so I just want to know if I have taken everything into account. I guess I need to make sure I can record the sound on a microphone and put it into my computer and copy a cd from it.

Since I only have speakers can anyone recommend the extra components I need to play the 23K ? Is this even going to work? I'm trying to do this the cheapest way since the sounds are not for me.

1. speakers - I purchased they say they go to 40K (YAMAHA NS-AW350 )
2. wire
3. cd or cd/dvd player
4. microphone to record whistle
5. cd software
6. cd hardware
7. special cds/dvds ?
Anything else I need to consider ????

Thanks.

Michael :confused:

gruss72
04-01-2006, 09:31 AM
I believe they make dedicated units for animal deterrants, I would suggest looking into that and using the speakers to acutally play some music ;)

Jim Clark
04-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Ain't ever going to work. Like you said, the speaks go to 40 (allegedly) and you need 23 which is bigtime sub stuff. On top of everything else it's outside.

What you need is a fence.

If you're deadset on doing this you will need an outdoor subwoofer which can be googled. I came up with this http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/ousu1.html Some of these claim extension down to 20Hz, I kind of doubt it though. I also question how long one of these is going to work, which brings me back to the fence.

good luck,
jc

gruss72
04-01-2006, 10:04 AM
something along these lines:
http://www.safepetproducts.com/pilot.asp?pg=animaldeterrents_main&gclid=CM_q69KljIQCFTUZFQodgEm0wA
I'm not recommending as I've never tried personally but I have heard of things similar to these working to get rid of gophers and such. might be worth a shot.

emorphien
04-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Ain't ever going to work. Like you said, the speaks go to 40 (allegedly) and you need 23 which is bigtime sub stuff. On top of everything else it's outside.

What you need is a fence.

If you're deadset on doing this you will need an outdoor subwoofer which can be googled. I came up with this http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/ousu1.html Some of these claim extension down to 20Hz, I kind of doubt it though. I also question how long one of these is going to work, which brings me back to the fence.

good luck,
jc
He said K, as in KHz.

In any case I'd go with one of the dedicated dog deterrent things, I don't think they're that expensive anyway are they?

supermanos
04-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.

I actually have an animal deterrent called "animal away" which I researched and is great with a big exception. I live on a busy street and it is set off by cars going by, which means I put new batteries in every 5 days. Recently I got rechargeable batteries with a charger which lasts 1 day. Needless to say changing out batteries every day is a pain.

A few months ago I paid an electrician to hook up outside energy so I could attach the Animal Away to a household current with an adaptor from Radio Shack.
It worked well for awhile until the prong connectors turned blue and it stopped supplying energy. Probably outdoor conditions, which is why I bought the batteries again so I wouldn't have a semi-exposed unit. I might just have to redo this contraption, especially since I paid an electrician to get me outside electricity and an adaptor breaking every few months is still cheaper than buying batteries every five days..

I had a fence put in last year to keep out the dogs. It's a ranch style with two horizontal slats. I wanted something that looked nice instead of all wire. A BIG mistake it doesn't cover the carport and dogs crawl under. I've also used all kinds of organic controls: cayenne pepper. The dogs really love the compost and find it hard to resist.

I've spend a few thousand dollars already trying to solve this problem and am at wits end.

I am pretty ignorant about audio systems. Do I need a subwoofer for a 23k frequency, which is what my "Animal Away" emits? I wanted to make a CD of it's sound and play it outside, which I hear from some is a problem also.

Basically does everyone agree that this is not possible for $300? My budget is pretty much used up on this project. My choices now are pretty much take out the garden or shoot dogs- neither make me happy.

Michael

emorphien
04-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I am pretty ignorant about audio systems. Do I need a subwoofer for a 23k frequency, which is what my "Animal Away" emits? I wanted to make a CD of it's sound and play it outside, which I hear from some is a problem also.

Basically does everyone agree that this is not possible for $300? My budget is pretty much used up on this project. My choices now are pretty much take out the garden or shoot dogs- neither make me happy.

Michael
No, he thought you meant 23Hz, not 23KHz. A subwoofer isn't going to work for you to produce 23KHz.

You could conceivably do it with speakers and a fequency generator and an amp but I would think getting an all weather adapter for your gadget (or shielding it from the conditions a bit better) would be more effective.

gruss72
04-01-2006, 05:50 PM
I would think you could solve the corrosion problem with some weatherproof wrap. I cant remember what they call it exactly but its real flexible and you could use it on an AC plug. Its typically made to wrap coax connections outside and can probably be found in a hardware store in the section that sells that stuff. if that fails call a local satellite/cable installer, they'd point you in the right direction

Jim Clark
04-02-2006, 07:36 AM
He said K, as in KHz.

In any case I'd go with one of the dedicated dog deterrent things, I don't think they're that expensive anyway are they?

Sure enough, it's even right there in the title. I have Hz on the brain and nothing was going to distract me from that.

jc