Upscale surge protector: good or bad? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upscale surge protector: good or bad?

RoyY51
03-31-2006, 06:43 PM
I tried to sneak this question into another thread, and was rightfully ignored. I abase myself, and ask for your forgiveness as well as your counsel.

I recently bought a surge protector to use in my H.T. system. The protector, a Belkin SurgeMaster (40 bucks at Home Depot) features "differential toroidal coils and high-frequency capacitors" that "work together to provide maximum reduction of AC line noise contamination over the widest frequency range" While this seems, on the surface, to be a good thing, it also seems possible that this "reduction of contamination" could have an adverse effect on the sound quality of my system. I mean, how good could the differential toroidal coils and high-frequency capacitors be in a $40.00 surge protector? I'm concerned that I may be doing more harm than good with this "protection"..

Any and all thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Glen B
03-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I tried to sneak this question into another thread, and was rightfully ignored. I abase myself, and ask for your forgiveness as well as your counsel.

I recently bought a surge protector to use in my H.T. system. The protector, a Belkin SurgeMaster (40 bucks at Home Depot) features "differential toroidal coils and high-frequency capacitors" that "work together to provide maximum reduction of AC line noise contamination over the widest frequency range" While this seems, on the surface, to be a good thing, it also seems possible that this "reduction of contamination" could have an adverse effect on the sound quality of my system. I mean, how good could the differential toroidal coils and high-frequency capacitors be in a $40.00 surge protector? I'm concerned that I may be doing more harm than good with this "protection"..

Any and all thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Do you hear any deterioration in sound quality with the Surgemaster in use ? If the answer is no, then no "harm" is being done. I have separate 2-channel stereo and HT systems. With the 2-channel system, admittedly I use balanced AC power conditioning but with the HT system everything except the receiver is plugged into a Belkin 500VA UPS. The receiver is plugged into a $10 Radio Shack single-outlet surge protector.