More new music. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : More new music.

mad rhetorik
01-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Slint: <b>Spiderland</b>
Bought this album based on all the acclaim it received here by Jar and others. What immediately strikes me about this is the lack of packaging--no liner notes, no lyrics, not even a label on the CD itself. Right now I'm spinning the first track "Breadcrumb Trail." Interesting music, I dig the spoken word verses.

Minutemen: <b>Double Nickels On The Dime</b>
My dad actually has this on vinyl, but until today I've been going nuts trying to find the CD version (which lacks the cover of "Ain't Talkin About Love" and "Mr. Robot's Holy Orders"). What a great album.

Death: <b>The Sound Of Peserverence</b>
Death/progressive/thrash metal hybrid featuring the sadly departed guitar great Chuck Schuldiner.

A Tribe Called Quest: <b>The Low End Theory</b>
Haven't heard all of it yet, but what I have heard is really compelling. Booty-shakin' funk/jazz/rap album, none of that "gang$ta" BS.

The New York Dolls: Self-titled
Honestly, I have no idea why I didn't purchase this album before. 50's-inspired drug-fueled glam rock.

Stone
01-25-2004, 06:29 AM
Slint: <b>Spiderland</b>
Bought this album based on all the acclaim it received here by Jar and others. What immediately strikes me about this is the lack of packaging--no liner notes, no lyrics, not even a label on the CD itself. Right now I'm spinning the first track "Breadcrumb Trail." Interesting music, I dig the spoken word verses.

Minutemen: <b>Double Nickels On The Dime</b>
My dad actually has this on vinyl, but until today I've been going nuts trying to find the CD version (which lacks the cover of "Ain't Talkin About Love" and "Mr. Robot's Holy Orders"). What a great album.

Death: <b>The Sound Of Peserverence</b>
Death/progressive/thrash metal hybrid featuring the sadly departed guitar great Chuck Schuldiner.

A Tribe Called Quest: <b>The Low End Theory</b>
Haven't heard all of it yet, but what I have heard is really compelling. Booty-shakin' funk/jazz/rap album, none of that "gang$ta" BS.

The New York Dolls: Self-titled
Honestly, I have no idea why I didn't purchase this album before. 50's-inspired drug-fueled glam rock.

I haven't heard that Death album, but you can't go wrong with any of the others on your list. Wow, what a line up. I'm not a huge hip hop fan, but man, The Low End Theory is a great album. Have you heard De La Soul? There's plenty of non-gangsta rap out there, but I'm really not the person to talk to about it. Newer stuff like Prefuse 73 and Dizzee Rascall have been getting a lot of press lately.

mad rhetorik
01-25-2004, 07:37 AM
I haven't heard that Death album, but you can't go wrong with any of the others on your list. Wow, what a line up. I'm not a huge hip hop fan, but man, The Low End Theory is a great album. Have you heard De La Soul? There's plenty of non-gangsta rap out there, but I'm really not the person to talk to about it. Newer stuff like Prefuse 73 and Dizzee Rascall have been getting a lot of press lately.

Finished listening to <b>The Low End Theory</b> last night. It's awesome hip-hop, right up there with Run-DMC and Public Enemy (my favorite rap/hip-hop groups). Will check out De La Soul, Prefuse 73 and Dizzee, thanks.

Hmm..how to describe Death...okay, take the band Dream Theater. Ditch the keyboardist and replace him with a rhythm guitarist and replace that sissy James Labrie with an extreme metal vocalist (growls, screams). Turn everything up to 11, and now we're talkin'. : ) Anyway, Death is an awesome band. Their lineups over the years have read like a "who's who" of technical metal. If you're at all familiar with names like Andy DeRocque, Gene Hoglan, Richard Christy, Paul Masdival, and Steve DiGiorgio you know what I'm talking about.

Their last album <b>The Sound Of Perseverence</b> is a great release, but at this point I'm still preferring <b>Human</b> due to the vox. Chuck Schuldiner's voice on <b>Human</b> is a potent growl (it's intense without overdoing it) while his vox on <b>TSoP</b> are more of a high shriek. They're kinda shrill and annoying. However, the music on both albums is AMAZING. Definitely not your average death metal. It's melodic and progressive while still capable of (quoting from a friend) making a man with no neck bang his head. The lyrics are also well-written and thoughtful and do not try to appeal to the lowest common denominator (Satanic imagery, blood 'n' guts etc.). If you're a fan of Metallica, Megadeth and other A-list thrash bands you owe it to yourself to listen to these guys. Start with <b>Human</b> or <b>Individual Thought Patterns</b>.

Now that I've gotten that shameless plug out of the way, I must mention Slint. <b>Spiderland</b> is awesome. My favorite songs on there are "Nosferatu Man" and "Good Morning Captain."