Eno- Another Day On Earth [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Eno- Another Day On Earth

Troy
03-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Long anticipated 2005 Brian Eno release. Got excellent press last year.

My GOD can this be any more tedious and boring? Wow, it just drones on and on. The band Air does this sorta thing SO MUCH better now.

Dusty Chalk
03-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I was underwhelmed.

BradH
03-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Wow, it just drones on and on.

This surprises you?

I haven't heard this one yet but is it any different than the ambient music he's been doing for the last 30 or so years?

3-LockBox
03-31-2006, 08:56 PM
This surprises you?

I haven't heard this one yet but is it any different than the ambient music he's been doing for the last 30 or so years?

Yeah, what you said. I never did get the whole Roxy Music thing either. Other than one or two songs (yeah, those two) I didn't have much use for him or Ferry.

Dusty Chalk
04-01-2006, 02:43 AM
This surprises you?

I haven't heard this one yet but is it any different than the ambient music he's been doing for the last 30 or so years?No, this isn't an ambient album, it's one of his pop albums.

richmon
04-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Back in the day I knew of Brian Eno from his work with Roxy music and Robert Fripp on the No Pussyfooting album. Found him interesting but musically didn't twirl my propeller.

Subscribed to a prog newletter 'Expose' a few years back, and some of the reviewers put out a top twenty of all time list. Saw Eno listed on a few couple of lists, so when the used CD joint had 'taking tiger mountain by stategy' and 'before and after science' I snagged them for $6.

Quirky pop, I'd call it. Along with Van der Graaf generator, Brian Eno's legend status is puzzling to these ears.

Davey
04-01-2006, 09:21 AM
...so when the used CD joint had 'taking tiger mountain by stategy' and 'before and after science' I snagged them for $6.

Quirky pop, I'd call it. Along with Van der Graaf generator, Brian Eno's legend status is puzzling to these ears.
That second side of Science is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Eno really reshaped my whole appreciation of music. The only thing about his legendary status puzzling to me is why it's not universally recognized ;)

But that said, I haven't heard the latest (and actually didn't see much of the excellent press Troy refers to, seemed mostly kind of lukewarm from what I read, and checking at metacritic seems to echo that) nor have I been much excited with his work since the album with John Cale in the early 90s, other than the occasional song or two that recalled past brilliance. There was one on Nerve Net called "The Roil, The Choke" that was very old school with his fun lyric games, using all manner of rhyming and consonance schemes. Be interesting to hear how much influence he had on the latest Paul Simon record.

Dusty Chalk
04-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Nerve Net, however, was excellent.
Be interesting to hear how much influence he had on the latest Paul Simon record.Wait what?

Davey
04-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Be interesting to hear how much influence he had on the latest Paul Simon record.
Wait what?
Not my words, but I did read that Eno helped Simon move a little away from his guitar-centric sound and both were happy with the result ... ´Surprise´ is the first album that Paul Simon has worked on in collaboration with legendary producer Brian Eno. The result is a captivating collection of songs captured in mesmerising style by Eno´s inventive production. ´Surprise´, his first album since 2000´s ´You´re The One´, is reminiscent of classics from his back catalogue such as ´Paul Simon´, ´There Goes Rhyming Simon´ and ´Still Crazy After All These Years´.

BTW, I do like Nerve Net more than I usually admit to, but still it isn't quite there.

BradH
04-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah, what you said. I never did get the whole Roxy Music thing either. Other than one or two songs (yeah, those two) I didn't have much use for him or Ferry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Eno and Roxy Music fan, although, I haven't heard much of Eno's later stuff. (I can live without Ferry's solo material.) Troy's desription just sounded like one of Eno's ambient albums which I actually tend to like.

A few months ago I got some Roxy Music at the BBC in a trade. Well recorded with lots of tracks before the first lp was out with David O' List on guitar. Wow! I never noticed how amazingly similar Manzanera and O'List were but, on retrospect, you can hear it on that first album by the Nice. O'List was a little hotter and freakier, though. A lot of the songs form the first lp make a lot more sense hearing them this way.

richmon
04-03-2006, 05:38 AM
That second side of Science is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Eno really reshaped my whole appreciation of music. The only thing about his legendary status puzzling to me is why it's not universally recognized ;) .

Just had to re-listen to my Eno albums to see what I might have missed. Really connected with Taking Tiger mountain by Strategy, I'm beginning to see the Eno light. I can see why he's thought a genius, ala~ Thomas Dolby or Beck.

Davey
04-03-2006, 07:17 AM
I can see why he's thought a genius, ala~ Thomas Dolby or Beck.
Thomas Dolby or Beck, eh? Hehehe, think I might need Troy's sarcasm detector ;)

There is a nice book by Eric Tamm about Eno, written in 1988 (updated epilog in 95) and available online at http://www.pdfhacks.com/eno/skinned_comments/BE.pdf that does explain some of his philosophy and influence, in addition to all the collaborations and meanderings in his career up to that point.

Troy
04-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Yes, this is supposed to be considered a pop album (Like Tiger mountain or Before & After Science), yet it fits more with his ambient bowls of noodles.

I recall seeing this on numerous 10 best of 2005 lists.

Time has passed this geezer by.

Finch Platte
04-03-2006, 08:02 PM
I hear Eno's slated to work on the new Iron Maiden disc. :3:

Heard anything off the new UmphMac disc? I have. :sleep:

fp

Troy
04-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Heard anything off the new UmphMac disc? I have. :sleep:
fp

Not yet. Does it really suck?

Going to try and see them later this month.

baronson
04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
ENO
Music?
Conceptual Art?
Both?
Neither?
What is it?
What do we expect?
What do we get?
Its all a conspiracy...
not fundamentalism

Its supposed to be that way, perhaps.

Who knows.:Yawn:

Dave_G
04-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Maybe Troy can hire Brian Eno to produce his next cd : Lactation Toppers.

But seriously, to me, Eno needs to concentrate on producing, he has contributed to some killer releases over the years, ya know?

Dave