Cheap bookshelfs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap bookshelfs?

ruckus1706
03-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi, Im looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for under $300.00 dollars, I have not gone to check any out yet so if you could give me an idea on what you guys like that would be great. I know its not what you guys like its what sounds good to me, but just give me some starting points.

funnyhat
03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
My vote would be for the paradigm atoms, great sounding little speaker!

N. Abstentia
03-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Hard to beat the Atoms.

KaiWinters
03-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Titans...better sounding and around $$220 per pair...I have both Atoms and Titans and love them. Atoms are $200 per pair.

matt39
03-31-2006, 05:24 AM
I would suggest the Epos ELS3. Others to consider which have not yet been mentioned are Athena Technology Audition B1.2 and B2.2, Energy Connoisseur C3 (on clearance), PSB Alpha B. Got an extra $50? PSB Image T15 and Wharfdale Diamond 9.1. If you could use a small floorstander, there are some very good deals right now on the Polk Audio R30. There are a surprising amount of good choices right now in your price range and that's not taking online dealers like Axiom and Ascend into account. Have fun auditioning!
Gary

shokhead
03-31-2006, 06:57 AM
Go to BB.

L.J.
03-31-2006, 07:32 AM
I picked these (http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ENERC3B&product_name=Connoisseur%20C-3%20Bookshelf%20Speakers%20-%20Black%20Ash%20Pair) up about 2 months ago. Excellent speakers for only $249. Go out and listen to as many as you can though.

Bernd
03-31-2006, 07:41 AM
I would suggest the Epos ELS3. Others to consider which have not yet been mentioned are Athena Technology Audition B1.2 and B2.2, Energy Connoisseur C3 (on clearance), PSB Alpha B. Got an extra $50? PSB Image T15 and Wharfdale Diamond 9.1. If you could use a small floorstander, there are some very good deals right now on the Polk Audio R30. There are a surprising amount of good choices right now in your price range and that's not taking online dealers like Axiom and Ascend into account. Have fun auditioning!
Gary

I'll second the Epos and the Wharfedale rec.(havn't heard the other models mentioned). Both have slightly different presentations of the music. My money would go to the Wharfedale's. I found them a touch more refined.

Trust your ears

Bernd:16:

RoyY51
03-31-2006, 10:58 AM
I would suggest that you audition the Monitor Audio B2's. It's a great all-around bookshelf speaker that I have been very happy with for a couple of years now. I believe that you can pick up a pair from DMC Electronics for $300.00.

N. Abstentia
03-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Actually the Atoms run circles around the more expensive Titans.

Jimmy C
03-31-2006, 02:55 PM
and assemble the BR1 kit from P.E. $140.

I previously owned the Titans, and I have A/B'd them together. No contest, the kit is better. The Paradigms sound w-a-y too boxy - the level not always immediately noticeable until compared. It's quite prominent :^)

I do agree that the Atom is better than the Titan - for that reason alone. And none (or at least a diminished amount) of that upper bass boost.

Obvioulsy the kit ain't perfect... not too sensitive (84 dB, IIRC), either. BUT - it has ample bass, VERY forgiving of poorly mastered CDs, openess and detail retrieval is at least "pretty good". IMO, it's best attributes are the "easy on the ears" factor, as well as bass that can actually produce some sort of foundation to the song.

The Atoms are quicker and tighter, but don't sound as full. The scale is lessened, and the image too pinpointed, IMO.

Today, there seems to be an increasing number of decent, affordable speakers... Infinity is another brand to give a listen to.

Jimmy thinks you'll be suprised at what $140 can buy...

46minaudio
04-04-2006, 05:16 AM
I also like the BR1 kit.Dennis Murphy also has a revised Xover for the speaker.
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=pe_br1.html
Here is another that looks to be real nice..
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1

wgriel
04-04-2006, 07:49 AM
I'd put my vote in for the Atoms as well - a really excellent speaker for the price!

I bought a pair a while back to use as surrounds, but I find myself pulling them out and listening to them in my 2 channel system every once in a while. Very pleasant sounding and non-fatiguing.

Bill

Tarheel_
04-04-2006, 07:56 AM
i vote for the Infinity Primus 150, at less than $200 pair they're a great bargain and sound nice too. Airy highs and decent bass. Give em a listen at CC.

Jimmy C, do u still have those Revels? I added an M20 for a center with my F30s and it sound fantastic in surround.

Jimmy C
04-04-2006, 08:09 AM
i vote for the Infinity Primus 150, at less than $200 pair they're a great bargain and sound nice too. Airy highs and decent bass. Give em a listen at CC.

Jimmy C, do u still have those Revels? I added an M20 for a center with my F30s and it sound fantastic in surround.

I have been thinking about changing electronics, maybe the Primaluna 2. Initially, that sounds like a no-no, but the impedence of the M20s doesn't dip below 4 ohms, I listen at 80 dB max, and my livingroom is only about 14x17 (condo). Also, I have a REL.

I'm not expecting miracles for $1400, but it might add a touch of mid magic to a very neutral speaker.

I'm in the process of buying a mint Astro van (business), so I ain't gettin' anything right now. After that calms down, taxes get done... then I'll look around. It's always something, right?

I can't say the Revels will be my last speaker, but I will always keep them.

ruckus1706
04-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Im going to check the Paradigm's out. Thanks

audio_dude
04-04-2006, 11:46 AM
I third or fourth the Atoms, I just got a set a week ago and they sound awsome, and they aren't even broken in yet! I would NOT go for the energy C-3's because IMHO the tweeter is WAY too harsh, even on music with little to no high stuff...just too screachy for me.

jerryclay10
04-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Paradigm titans for bigger rooms bigger sound stage compared to atoms which work well in smaller rooms

emorphien
04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Check out the Paradigm Atoms and Titans, Axiom (M3Tis), PSB, Epos, Wharfedale, Energy, NHT and plenty of others I've forgotten.

I'd check out used on Audiogon and eBay too.

The ones I have the most experience with are the Titans, Atoms and the M3Tis. I own a pair of M3Tis which I use only for music, and my friend has Titans and Atoms in a surround setup which he also uses for music. I like the M3Tis better, but they cost more than the two Paradigms. The Paradigms are a hell of a deal for speakers of that quality too though and definitely worth a listen.