Black Sabbath [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Black Sabbath

Mayonnaise
03-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Rhino Records just put out a good single disc Black Sabbath “hits” cd. I bought it to fill out the gaps in my collection. I haven’t heard the music in a long time. Sounds good.

But...

I’m older now and I can't help thinking of all the parents that downright freaked when they heard this stuff coming out of their teenage son’s bedroom. These sounds were scary.

I’m talking serious conversations about what is wrong with this kid and where did we go wrong.

Is it not essential that good rock is supposed to freak out your parents?

MindGoneHaywire
03-30-2006, 11:23 AM
No. There is an appeal to that, but it's hardly necessary. I've never had a problem with, for instance, my mother liking Lou Reed. It's one less thing to disagree on, one more thing to bond on. Generational gaps don't have to be absolute. On the other hand, she drew the line at the Dead Kennedys, and that was fine, too. There was something about seeing how freaked out she got from hardcore punk that did add, or enhance, something to enjoying the stuff. When you're a teenager that counts for more than it probably does later on, though.

-Jar-
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Rhino Records just put out a good single disc Black Sabbath “hits” cd. I bought it to fill out the gaps in my collection. I haven’t heard the music in a long time. Sounds good.

But...

I’m older now and I can't help thinking of all the parents that downright freaked when they heard this stuff coming out of their teenage son’s bedroom. These sounds were scary.

I’m talking serious conversations about what is wrong with this kid and where did we go wrong.

Is it not essential that good rock is supposed to freak out your parents?

I'll have to compare it to the track list for the Black Sabbath "Greatest Hits" album that I have.. it's some import vinyl I picked up way way back, has a very cool cover - a painting by Bruegel called TRIUMPH OF DEATH (all these skeletons killing and hoarding the townspeople into a huge casket.. it's completely evil now, I can't imagine what people thought of it back when it was painted).. anyway, I listened to that thing so many times, it's all scratched to hell, but what a great collection of music it was. Those old songs have aged very well. For a few years, this was all the Sabbath I owned, until I started picking up their proper albums:

01. Paranoid
02. N.I.B.
03. Changes
04. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
05. Iron Man
06. Black Sabbath
07. War Pigs
08. Laguna Sunrise
09. Tomorrow's Dream
10. Sweet Leaf

I'll have to check out that new comp. I've always held off on buying the cds of their albums because I never knew what the offical releases were.. Most of them I have on old vinyl. Seems to be the proper way to listen to Sabbath anyways..

-jar

Duds
03-30-2006, 12:43 PM
I recommend the box set: the first 7 albums remastered, a dvd, and a nice book.

There's also a nice 2 disc greatest hits import cd through Musicrama, very nice collection!!

I'll have to compare it to the track list for the Black Sabbath "Greatest Hits" album that I have.. it's some import vinyl I picked up way way back, has a very cool cover - a painting by Bruegel called TRIUMPH OF DEATH (all these skeletons killing and hoarding the townspeople into a huge casket.. it's completely evil now, I can't imagine what people thought of it back when it was painted).. anyway, I listened to that thing so many times, it's all scratched to hell, but what a great collection of music it was. Those old songs have aged very well. For a few years, this was all the Sabbath I owned, until I started picking up their proper albums:

01. Paranoid
02. N.I.B.
03. Changes
04. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
05. Iron Man
06. Black Sabbath
07. War Pigs
08. Laguna Sunrise
09. Tomorrow's Dream
10. Sweet Leaf

I'll have to check out that new comp. I've always held off on buying the cds of their albums because I never knew what the offical releases were.. Most of them I have on old vinyl. Seems to be the proper way to listen to Sabbath anyways..

-jar

3-LockBox
03-30-2006, 12:49 PM
I was very young (6 or 7) when Black Sabbath was all the rage (first couple of albums). My older brother listened to Sabbath all the time. Hell, forget my parents, Sabbath scared the hell outt a me!

I didn't develope an appreciation for Sabbath until my late teens, prolly cuz Ozzy was big. I found Paranoid to be a killer album. It is essential as far as hardrock/heavy metal goes. And yes, it still holds up pretty well.