Speaker Selector [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Selector

abulgan
03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
can u tell me way/ways to use 2 pairs of different speakers by one Integrated(has np0 A/B separate)Stereo amp,i wonder a spe. selector/switcher may decrease the quality?

also one cd player for 2 different amps(one Solid state other Tube)is it possible?

Cal Blacksmith
03-30-2006, 11:38 AM
It might depend on how "golden" your ears are but to my way of thinking, a selector switch would not color or detract from the audio (either to the amps or to the speakers) to a noticeable degree. Then again, I don't buy into the "magic wire" concept either YMMV.

nightflier
03-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Actually, you want to make sure your amplifier can handle the load. A speaker selector typically will not alleviate this so adding a second pair of 8 ohm speakers will be equivalent to running 4 ohm speakers on that amp. If the amp can handle that, fine, but a lot of the budget (think CC, BB) amps out there will have trouble with this configuration. Also remeber that the ohm rating on a speaker is not static. I have a pair of 4 ohm speakers that will dip down to 3 ohms regularly. Finally I would not put speakers with different ratings on the same selector (ie. 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm speakers) as that will undoubtedly stress your amp.

As for the CD players, you can buy a $20 audio distribution amp at radio shack that should work fine. I don't know what the effect will be on the sound. I have used a beefier switcher that does not seem to have affected the sound, but my hearing may not be as good as the golden ears out there. My gut feeling has always been that this is not a good idea, but I have not actually heard the difference. Maybe someone else can add their 2 cents.

abulgan
03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Actually, you want to make sure your amplifier can handle the load. A speaker selector typically will not alleviate this so adding a second pair of 8 ohm speakers will be equivalent to running 4 ohm speakers on that amp. If the amp can handle that, fine, but a lot of the budget (think CC, BB) amps out there will have trouble with this configuration. Also remeber that the ohm rating on a speaker is not static. I have a pair of 4 ohm speakers that will dip down to 3 ohms regularly. Finally I would not put speakers with different ratings on the same selector (ie. 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm speakers) as that will undoubtedly stress your amp.

not gonna use both pairs at same time.:ihih:

audio_dude
03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
hmm...might just be easiest to use banana plugs and just plug in the speaks you wanna use?

abulgan
03-30-2006, 09:51 PM
hmm...might just be easiest to use banana plugs and just plug in the speaks you wanna use?

sure thought about it

but i already have a simple swichter bought 1 year ago for different purpose