RCA Living Stereo Classical SACD's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RCA Living Stereo Classical SACD's

Cincy2
03-30-2006, 09:30 AM
I just received a bundle of these inexpensive ($11.98 on AccousticSounds.com) Classical SACD's. I was beginning to lament the fact I upgraded my front end so I could play SACD's. The labels I typically buy (Telarc, Chesky, Opus 3, Mapleshade etc.) have great sounding CD sound so I wasn't getting my money's worth.

Enter RCA Living Stereo remasters. From the first note these splendid recordings are showcases for the SACD standard. Who ever engineered them should be canonized. The sound is spacious, tonally accurate and pure. The imaging is remarkable given that the recordings were made in 50's ( I am referring to an Arthur Fiedler BPOPS release). There is a slight tape hiss but once you hear the wondrous sound, you can block it out.

I ordered a total of around 20 of these SACD's because of the excellence in musical reproduction but also because they catalogue some of the greatest performers of their generation: Rubenstein, Horowicz, Haifitz, Fiedler, Moffo, Lanza...too many to mention.

I hate to sound like an advertisement but when someone does a great job like RCA did in these reissues, they deserve to be rewarded economically. I wanted to make sure that the classical music lovers out there (if there are any left) knew about these little gems.

Snowbunny
03-30-2006, 10:49 AM
I just received a bundle of these inexpensive ($11.98 on AccousticSounds.com) Classical SACD's. I was beginning to lament the fact I upgraded my front end so I could play SACD's. The labels I typically buy (Telarc, Chesky, Opus 3, Mapleshade etc.) have great sounding CD sound so I wasn't getting my money's worth.

Enter RCA Living Stereo remasters. From the first note these splendid recordings are showcases for the SACD standard. Who ever engineered them should be canonized. The sound is spacious, tonally accurate and pure. The imaging is remarkable given that the recordings were made in 50's ( I am referring to an Arthur Fiedler BPOPS release). There is a slight tape hiss but once you hear the wondrous sound, you can block it out.

I ordered a total of around 20 of these SACD's because of the excellence in musical reproduction but also because they catalogue some of the greatest performers of their generation: Rubenstein, Horowicz, Haifitz, Fiedler, Moffo, Lanza...too many to mention.

I hate to sound like an advertisement but when someone does a great job like RCA did in these reissues, they deserve to be rewarded economically. I wanted to make sure that the classical music lovers out there (if there are any left) knew about these little gems.

You're visiting from one of them audiophile forums, aren't ya? :)

Is that Lanza you refer to Mario?

SB

bobsticks
03-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Very true, sir. I too have purchased a fair number of these titles and have found them to be excellent. I have yet to be disappointed by either the standard of performance or audio quality. The Heifetz collection in particular has given me many good spins, although I will admit to having skipped Rubenstein (not my cup of tea).
You might be interested to know that both Sony and RCA are putting out some great remastered titles in the redbook format. RCA's is called the Red Sealseries. Their version of Carmina Buranafar supercedes either of the SACD versions I have.
Sony's Masterwork Expanded Editionsutilize Direct Stream Digital. I just picked up Barber's Adagio for Stringsa couple weeks ago-- absolutely haunting and with great clarity.
Good stuff. Enjoy

Cincy2
03-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Snow Bunny,

Yes indeed Mario Lanza.

Cincy2

Snowbunny
03-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Snow Bunny,

Yes indeed Mario Lanza.

Cincy2

Is there a "Best Of"? My mom was enthralled with him when she was a teen-ager and I understand he was a bit of a "teen idol" so I'd like to hear him with out investing a lot of money.

Thanks,

Snowie

Cincy2
04-01-2006, 04:07 AM
SB,

Try this: Mario Lanza at his best.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=27826&section=music

Cincy

alpha42366
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
I have been on the fence on the RCA Living Stereo SACD's. It's my understanding the recording is in stereo and not 5.1. Is this correct? In the past I have purchased SACD's and felt shortchanged when they were not actually 5.1 multi-channel. Can anyone clarify?

Bob

Dusty Chalk
04-05-2006, 03:48 AM
Why would you feel short-changed? It's still high-res. They are also famously some of the greatest direct-to-two-channel recordings ever made.

Here (http://www.livingstereo-sacd.com/ls/index.jsp) -- I guess that's why it says "stereo" in the name. Though I thought I remembered some of them being three-channel...

noddin0ff
04-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Some are 3 channel

JoeE SP9
04-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Most of the RCA Living Stereo's were recorded to three channels on tape. They were done live with no overdubbing. The center channel was mixed to the left and right for the vinyl issues. Some of us own original vinyl of some of these treasures (lucky me). They are some of the best recordings I have. They should be required study for present day studio engineers. :cool:

alpha42366
04-06-2006, 03:56 AM
[QUOTE=Dusty Chalk]Why would you feel short-changed? It's still high-res. They are also famously some of the greatest direct-to-two-channel recordings ever made.

With all due respect, I have a decent 5.1 system. I paid extra to get multi-channel high-rez connections on my receiver and my DVD player. Perhaps I am missing something, but I would just like sound come out of all 6 speakers when playing a high-rez recording. If I only get sound out of 2 or 3 speakers I feel that something is missing, thus I feel shortchanged.

I know a lot of people like to listen to music in stereo so I may jump on one of the RCA Living Stereo SACD's.

Bob

bobsticks
04-06-2006, 04:29 AM
perhaps now you have more options. Seriously, I can understand where your coming from; I have floorstanders all the way around to accomodate the sorround sound experience. That said, good music is good music regardless of format.
Caution isn't a bad thing certainly. Perhaps try Heifetz-Concertos or Mussorgsky-Pictures at an Exhihbition or Berloiz--Symphonie Fantastique. Each of these showcases solid performances with SQ that will leave you in disbelief that they were recoreded in the 1950s. They will fill your room.
Do you have DVD-A capabilities as well?

markw
04-06-2006, 05:10 AM
http://www.livingstereo-sacd.com/index.jsp

The good news is that if they were recorded in the three front channels. the SACD contains all three.

More good news is that these are dual layer CD's so they play on redbook players as well. This is good news for those who haven't yet made a commitment to SACD, myself included.

Even more good news is that even the redbook layers sound stunning, in all glorious two channels. There's minor change in the sound between this redbook sound and from theie "original" redbook only CDs. Some may prefer one or the other but that's the way it always is.

The bad news, for some, is that they won't "gimmick" the already glorious sound to contain more channels than the artists and engineers intended. These are pretty much historical documents of the golden age of audio and tjhe less kerfutzing the better. The fact that these still stunning recordings were made about 50 years old on fairly "primitive" equipment says a lot about this hobby and its hardware vs. recording technique.

And, finally, the best news of all. ...they are as inexpensive as dirt!

Dusty Chalk
04-06-2006, 05:24 AM
Why would you feel short-changed? It's still high-res. They are also famously some of the greatest direct-to-two-channel recordings ever made.With all due respect, I have a decent 5.1 system. I paid extra to get multi-channel high-rez connections on my receiver and my DVD player. Perhaps I am missing something, but I would just like sound come out of all 6 speakers when playing a high-rez recording. If I only get sound out of 2 or 3 speakers I feel that something is missing, thus I feel shortchanged. Based on that, then you are not the target market for these recordings. Personally, I'm glad they didn't force the issue. Not everything needs to be multi-channel. (For example, I am a headphone listener, and if they eschew a high-res stereo mix for the multi-channel one, I get pissed. I never bought ELP's Brain Salad Surgery for just that reason.)

bobsticks
04-06-2006, 05:37 AM
And while I have a set-up taht is capable of multi-channel playback, I'd much prefer 2-channel if the former impedes accuracy. This speaks to " gimmicks ". Frankly, much if not most classical music in the multi-channel music is inferior because of implementation.
I don't listen to classical for effects. What is good for DSOTM doesn't really translate for Rossini or Dvorak. I mean I don't play the oboe, so why would I care to hear from the 2nd chair perspective with parts originating from all around me? I prefer the recreation of what I would hear from good seat in the audience.

alpha42366
04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
perhaps now you have more options. Seriously, I can understand where your coming from; I have floorstanders all the way around to accomodate the sorround sound experience. That said, good music is good music regardless of format.
Caution isn't a bad thing certainly. Perhaps try Heifetz-Concertos or Mussorgsky-Pictures at an Exhihbition or Berloiz--Symphonie Fantastique. Each of these showcases solid performances with SQ that will leave you in disbelief that they were recoreded in the 1950s. They will fill your room.
Do you have DVD-A capabilities as well?

I do have DVD-A capability as well. I have a few SACD's and DVD-A's but not much in the classical area. I'll research your suggestions and see if I can pick one. Who knows, I may get all 3. Thanks.

musicman1999
04-08-2006, 03:28 PM
just bought my first of this series,the Chicago Symphony recording of a couple of Strauss pieces Ein Heldenleben and Also Sprach Zarathustra.Listened to it this morning and very impressed.It is 50 years old but you would never guess,it sounds great.It is a 2 channel recording,despite being labeled sacd surround,but i am a 2 channel guy anyway.I will be expanding my collection for sure.

bill

alpha42366
04-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Okay, I ordered 4 CD's from Amazon. I ordered Strauss-Ein Heldenleben, Mussorgsky-Pictures at an Exhibition, Sibelius, Prokofiev, Glazunov-Violin Concertos (I think that is the Heifetz), and Rimsky-Korsakov-Scheherazade; Stravinsky-Song of the Nightingale. Should get them in about a week and I'll see how they sound to me.

Bob

Dusty Chalk
04-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Even if you end up not liking them, I applaud you for giving them an even chance. Kudos!

MasterCylinder
04-10-2006, 10:05 AM
For alpha and bobsticks.......................

If you want sound in all six speakers (irrespective of the recording format) without "gimmicks", then I have the answer............

DENON 5.1 receivers have a mode called "5-channel stereo".

Perhaps DENON is not the best stereo made, but it is very good.
The 5-channel stereo makes my living room come alive with sound, regardless of the source, CD, DVD, and even TV.

I also have the new Harmon-Kardon SACD player and the combo is incredible.