Why Men Don't Listen to Women [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why Men Don't Listen to Women

Bernd
03-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Why Men Don't Listen to Women

He really isn't listening to you! But you won't believe the reason why.

When men and women speak, the human brain processes the sounds of those voices differently, Britain's Mirror and Agence France Presse report of a new study from the U.K.'s University of Sheffield. While most of us actually hear female voices more clearly, men's brains hear women's voices first as music. But it's not music. It's someone giving them a honey-do list. So the brain goes into overdrive trying to analyze what is being said.

Bottom line: Men have to work harder deciphering what women are saying because they use the auditory part of the brain that processes music, not human voices. Men's brains are not designed to listen to women's voices. It's not the pitch of the woman's voice, but rather the vibration and number of sound waves that cause the problem, notes Discovery News.

But guys have no trouble at all hearing each other because men use a much simpler brain mechanism at the back of the brain to decipher another man's voice and recognize it as speech.

"The female voice is actually more complex than the male voice, due to differences in the size and shape of the vocal cords and larynx between men and women, and also due to women having greater natural 'melody' in their voices. This causes a more complex range of sound frequencies than in a male voice," lead researcher Michael Hunter told The Mirror. "When men hear a male voice they process it in the 'mind's eye.' This is the part of the brain where people compare their experiences to themselves, so the man is comparing his own voice to the new voice."

Here's a really bizarre side effect: These findings help explain why people who suffer hallucinations usually hear male voices. It's just too hard for the brain to create a false feminine voice as accurately as it can create a false masculine voice.

The research findings were published in the journal NeuroImage.

That would explain a lot.:idea:

Peace and keep listening

Bernd:16:

GMichael
03-30-2006, 06:34 AM
Why Men Don't Listen to Women

He really isn't listening to you! But you won't believe the reason why.

When men and women speak, the human brain processes the sounds of those voices differently, Britain's Mirror and Agence France Presse report of a new study from the U.K.'s University of Sheffield. While most of us actually hear female voices more clearly, men's brains hear women's voices first as music. But it's not music. It's someone giving them a honey-do list. So the brain goes into overdrive trying to analyze what is being said.

Bottom line: Men have to work harder deciphering what women are saying because they use the auditory part of the brain that processes music, not human voices. Men's brains are not designed to listen to women's voices. It's not the pitch of the woman's voice, but rather the vibration and number of sound waves that cause the problem, notes Discovery News.

But guys have no trouble at all hearing each other because men use a much simpler brain mechanism at the back of the brain to decipher another man's voice and recognize it as speech.

"The female voice is actually more complex than the male voice, due to differences in the size and shape of the vocal cords and larynx between men and women, and also due to women having greater natural 'melody' in their voices. This causes a more complex range of sound frequencies than in a male voice," lead researcher Michael Hunter told The Mirror. "When men hear a male voice they process it in the 'mind's eye.' This is the part of the brain where people compare their experiences to themselves, so the man is comparing his own voice to the new voice."

Here's a really bizarre side effect: These findings help explain why people who suffer hallucinations usually hear male voices. It's just too hard for the brain to create a false feminine voice as accurately as it can create a false masculine voice.

The research findings were published in the journal NeuroImage.

That would explain a lot.:idea:

Peace and keep listening

Oh sure, I'll have no trouble at all getting wifey to believe this.:17:

Bernd
03-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Oh sure, I'll have no trouble at all getting wifey to believe this.:17:

Have another woman tell her.

Bernd:idea:

shokhead
03-30-2006, 07:15 AM
I listen to women. In 1976 when my girl friend told me to marry her or leave her,well its 30 years latter this Oct.

Bernd
03-30-2006, 07:21 AM
I listen to women. In 1976 when my girl friend told me to marry her or leave her,well its 30 years latter this Oct.

Congratulations. That is some mile stone.

Peace

GMichael
03-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Congratulations. That is some mile stone.

Peace

How can you say that before he tells us what his answer was?

Bernd
03-30-2006, 07:38 AM
How can you say that before he tells us what his answer was?

I believe it's a Mile Stone whatever his answer was.:idea:

Peace

Resident Loser
03-30-2006, 07:50 AM
I believe it's a Mile Stone whatever his answer was.

...millstone?...

This November: thirty-six...

Hmmm...Maybe I'll try to download and print said article...my wife is a voracious reader...

jimHJJ(...yes dear...later...)

Bernd
03-30-2006, 08:09 AM
...millstone?...

This November: thirty-six...

Hmmm...Maybe I'll try to download and print said article...my wife is a voracious reader...

jimHJJ(...yes dear...later...)

That of course would be the alternative.

You all got me beat, 10 Years this August for me. My first and only time.:)

Peace

Bernd:6:

JohnMichael
03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
7 years for me this July and we hear each other quite well.

GMichael
03-30-2006, 09:35 AM
7 years for me this July and we hear each other quite well.

Cheater. That's because neither of you has a woman's voice.

L.J.
03-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Just made 8 years this Jan. and I don't hear half of what comes out of this womans mouth.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Eh, When my wife was alive I didn't listen to her. I couldn't understand her half the time anyway. She spoke spanish so fast (those puerto rican women) that is was hella hard for me to keep up with her. My mom didn't speak spanish that fast..sheeeesh!

bobsticks
03-30-2006, 02:33 PM
My ex girlfriend is Indian which makes her indecipherable to me in two languages. She has taken to calling again recently. I've been amazed at how many poignant steps toward self improvement can be left on voice mail...

Kam
03-31-2006, 06:47 AM
woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh....... women can talk?

:D
(just kidding......)

bobsticks
03-31-2006, 07:06 AM
woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh woh....... women can talk?

:D
(just kidding......)

Are you doin' the teacher from Charlie Brown?

Kam
03-31-2006, 07:12 AM
Are you doin' the teacher from Charlie Brown?

actually peter griffin... more of a "woh" (ala keanu) rather than the "waahn waa waahn wahn waa waa" of charlie brown-fame. :)

bobsticks
03-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Gotcha.
You shall hereafter be referred to as Kam, Master of Phonetics.
It's only a matter of time before someone gets hit because of this thread...