What's your method for cleaning used LP's? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's your method for cleaning used LP's?

Zaurusman
03-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi all,

I received a fairly rare double-LP album today from the early 80's, and consider myself lucky because the records only have minor scratches and no warpage. But cleaning them ... that's another story. They're filthy with years of dust et al in the grooves. I've unleashed the Last cleaner on them -- three times. Couldn't count the number of revolutions passed under my carbon fiber brush, cranking the speed to 78 rpm on the table for a minute or so. Still only 70% clean; a couple more applications of the Last to go after I re-clean an applicator or two.

I'm new to analog and don't know the cleaning tricks. How do you all clean your own heavily-soiled used finds that can't be passed up but are dying for some tender loving care?

TIA!

Zaurusman

Bernd
03-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Hi all,

I received a fairly rare double-LP album today from the early 80's, and consider myself lucky because the records only have minor scratches and no warpage. But cleaning them ... that's another story. They're filthy with years of dust et al in the grooves. I've unleashed the Last cleaner on them -- three times. Couldn't count the number of revolutions passed under my carbon fiber brush, cranking the speed to 78 rpm on the table for a minute or so. Still only 70% clean; a couple more applications of the Last to go after I re-clean an applicator or two.

I'm new to analog and don't know the cleaning tricks. How do you all clean your own heavily-soiled used finds that can't be passed up but are dying for some tender loving care?

TIA!

Zaurusman

Hi and welcome to Vinyl Heaven. If you're in it for the long haul invest in a RCM. You will do eventualy anyway. Only a vacuum cleaning machine will get the dirt out of the grooves, you're waisting your time otherwise.
Once you've done that I can advice you on cleaning fluid etc.
Feel free to ask if you unsure.

Peace

Bernd:16:

JoeE SP9
03-30-2006, 12:25 PM
www.needledoctor.com (http://www.needledoctor.com) has the Nitty Gritty 1.0 Record Cleaning Machine for $265 plus shipping. A vacuum cleaning machine is the best way to clean all vinyl including new.:cool:

nobody
03-30-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd like to get a record cleaning machine someday, but its just not in my budget right now. If you're looking to be economical, you can go with something like the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid. You wet the album, apply some cleaning fluid, scrud the record with a special set of brushes, then rinse with another brush befor a final risn with distilled water. They remain a bit damp and then need to dry in a dish rack or something similar. it's a bit labor intensive, and I've seen people mention getting better results with different fluids...or not, depending on who you ask...I'm fine with the fluid I got from disc doctor with the brushes at least until it runs out.

I've heard mixed reviews on the merits of a vacum, but am willing to believe they are likely at least a decent improvement, but just using the brushes and rinsing well with distilled water after using a quality cleaning fluid has helped me clean up some stuff that was really, really grimey. frankly, outside of groove damage or skips, I haven't come across anything that I couldn't get to play pretty quietly using this method. For really grungy ones, I just use a bit of extra fluid and after scrubbing it ion, let it just sit and soak in for a few minutes before removing it. Also, you really do have to rinse thouroughly. I usually scrub once and rinse twice. When I started using the stuff, I wasn't rinsing fully and you could really tell a difference.

They have a new fluid that you're not supposed to have to rinse, but I havent used it. And everyone seems to have their personal favorite fluids, but until I started cleaning my records wet and rinsing, I never really was able to accomplish much in the way of cleaning up really dirty ones.

Here's a link to the disc doctor stuff...

<a href="http://www.discdoc.com/"> Disc Doctor</a>

I believe there is another company, the name of which escapes me, that is selling very similar brushes. Maybe someone else will know who it is and let you know. Don't know which are cheaper.

Zaurusman
03-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. A record cleaning machine sounds like a great long term investment, but I don't know where I'd put it in my right now -- rather wait for a house while I'm in smaller apartments saving for one. The Disc Doctor setup sounds a fair bit faster and more thorough than cleaning over and over again with Last, so I'll pick up that kit and use it to revive used records -- and save the Last for the ones I've purchased new for occassional cleanings if I still need them using a carbon fiber brush before each play. Thanks again for your answers!

nobody
04-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Hope it works out for you. I like the stuff a bunch. I have seen people at another site posting a preference for Record Research Labs fluid, but I've never tried that one. Hard for me to see how it would be signifigantly better, so I'm in no hurry. Not sure what the price difference is or which costs more.

Logan
04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm a cheapskate. I wash used records in tepid tap water containing a little dishwashing liquid with a lint-free cloth. I then rinse them thoroughly with copious tepid running water and allow them to drip-dry in a rack for a while. Finally I pat them dry with a fluffy lint-free towel. I get excellent results for virtually zero outlay. Sometimes a noisy region can be heard after washing, but a second washing has always remedied this..

I've tested my method in two ways. Firstly I washed a brand new record of no musical interest to me and heard no discernable change. Secondly I took a 2-record box set, and washed one dirty record by my method. The second record was cleaned by a local retailer who has a Keith Monks vacuum machine for $10. Nobody who has listened to these can hear any significant difference.

I know this breaks all the rules. But it works.

JoeE SP9
04-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Those on the cheap should try the Allsop Orbitrac. I have found it performs damn near as well as full washing and vacuuming.:cool: